D4 D4 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Cookson has had another good year for the Cobras, as has Damian Truslove. Trusser may not get the kudos from other teams, but he plays the consumate team game, working hard on bringing teammates into the game rather than doing the flashy stuff himself.

Agree with Cookson, uses the ball excellently. Irving, I think the T Pearson and also the two best midfielders I've seen

The number 12 at syndal runs hard all day, can jump but didn't take many marks. Think hes a frward anyway but probably plays like a fourth midfielder after the bounce. tough gig playing up forward in a side that hasnt won a game yet

I think that midfielders from teams outside the final 5 would struggle to make the team of the year. I know it would be great to have all the clubs represented but realistically the top 3 onballers are at the top clubs.
Cookson hasn't had a bad year but he hasn't dominated, he tends to hang out the back and get fed.
You would want Rhodes in the middle. Irving certainly despite not being named in the best for WB too often recently. I'm still a fan of Thomson from WB but he's not playing too regularly. The AP midfield works well as a unit,probably Bennett the pick of them and Dallas when he works through there. Kew would have to have some representation and to SFX could mount an argument too.

Given you have 3 spots to hand out (Centre, Rover, Ruck Rover) I don't know how you could be looking at Bulleen or Syndal (for instance - no offence boys).

For me:
Ruck-Rover: Rhodes (Mt L)
Rover: Bennett (AP)
Centre: Irving (WB)
Bench: Thomson (WB)

If that were the case I'd put Bell from Kew in the ruck so they are represented. Sorry to the boys from Berwick... You will have to turn the other cheek like good little Christians :)

Cookson hasn't had a bad year but he hasn't dominated, he tends to hang out the back and get fed.

Have another look at Cookson at some stage. You'll soon come to recognise that he gets a fair bit of his own ball these days. His skills mean that he gets noticed for some outside work, but his contested work is pretty good as well.

I think that midfielders from teams outside the final 5 would struggle to make the team of the year. I know it would be great to have all the clubs represented but realistically the top 3 onballers are at the top clubs.
You would want Rhodes in the middle. Irving certainly despite not being named in the best for WB too often recently. I'm still a fan of Thomson from WB but he's not playing too regularly. The AP midfield works well as a unit,probably Bennett the pick of them and Dallas when he works through there. Kew would have to have some representation and to SFX could mount an argument too.

Given you have 3 spots to hand out (Centre, Rover, Ruck Rover) I don't know how you could be looking at Bulleen or Syndal (for instance - no offence boys).

For me:
Ruck-Rover: Rhodes (Mt L)
Rover: Bennett (AP)
Centre: Irving (WB)
Bench: Thomson (WB)

If that were the case I'd put Bell from Kew in the ruck so they are represented. Sorry to the boys from Berwick... You will have to turn the other cheek like good little Christians :)

In a good side you would have more than these five as your options. You would have at least one ruck on the bench or forward(even if you are playing Rhodes as a ruck rover) similarly you would have 1-2 onballers forward or back. Irving could pinch hit as a ruck too so maybe this means you can go with one pure ruck , and Rhodes and Irving as back-up(or ruck machine for that matter)

so

how about
McIndoe
Rhodes
Russo

Centre Irving

HF Dallas
FP Thomson

Bench Magonacle, Pizzari,Bell

another thing to think of is should he pick pure wings on the wing, or play gun onballers there? I think a gun onballer should be versatile enough to play wing, so you could play Dallas,Cookson, Benett etc there as well

any clubs not liking the ammo hospitality would get a welcome mat in the northern league ( old diamond valley) they are having a div 3 for the first time next year

they only have six clubs so far and one or two of them sound like folding
maybe it could be a re birth for bulleen

parkside -ex vafa will be in that grade and they came out of d3

Have another look at Cookson at some stage. You'll soon come to recognise that he gets a fair bit of his own ball these days. His skills mean that he gets noticed for some outside work, but his contested work is pretty good as well.

You'd want to be quick - three rounds to go for him. I would suggest a team-of-the-year midfielder in D4 this season will most likely feature in finals.

Cookson is good, but I don't think he is quite as influential as the others named on this page.

any clubs not liking the ammo hospitality would get a welcome mat in the northern league ( old diamond valley) they are having a div 3 for the first time next year

Bong Pocket,

6 team comp sounds inviting. You could play the same team 6 times in one year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They did play A grade ammos.

As always crazy bear your maths is impeccable
You could play the same side 5 or 6 times
which is good if their shite but not so good if they kick the ever lovin out of you
could get a bit tedious
west heid are there - i understand they have some guys that joined this year that will go close to playing their 50th before the season is out ( they are playing two games a week every week?
it also means that if you play finals , you could play the same team 8 times in the one year - which i may point out means that if i played on the same opponent in each game i would spend more time with that opponent than i do my own wife over a calender year( and pobably get along with better ).
It also means the relegation system sprouts its wings in the nfl which should see the incidence of stabbings and run past shootings ( its a very tough league) increase.

Not interested. Committed to winning a flag in D4 & then moving up & doing it again.

In a good side you would have more than these five as your options. You would have at least one ruck on the bench or forward(even if you are playing Rhodes as a ruck rover) similarly you would have 1-2 onballers forward or back. Irving could pinch hit as a ruck too so maybe this means you can go with one pure ruck , and Rhodes and Irving as back-up(or ruck machine for that matter)

I understand that... but this is for the team of the year. The forward flanks and pockets will be packed with the likes of Horne, McDermott, Whiting and others. One of my earlier posts suggested forwards.

If you were to put midfielders on the wings Id make them T Pearson and Monagle (not many games but pretty regularly in the best for a good team). Maybe Ortlipp would make it in. Pizarri and Cookson unfortunate. I dont know who 'Weed' is?

My bench ruckman would be Gall or McIndoe.

Irving doesn't play ruck does he? Hes not short but I've never heard of him going in except maybe as a 3rd man up.
He's a good player, but he cant do everything:p

Ruck Machine doesn't play ruck regularly enough for consideration.

dont know if any club would want to leave the vafa to go & play in the northern football league - a bit of a backward step i reckon if youre comments are correct...

I dont like spruiking my own teammates on this board :) but ROO (liddle) from RC has been dominant in the center/wing positions for us this year. The guy can outleap anyone in D4. He beat out Rhodes when in the ruck earlier in the season... but didn't play last week though :( Sorely missed!

I dont like spruiking my own teammates on this board :) but ROO (liddle) from RC has been dominant in the center/wing positions for us this year. The guy can outleap anyone in D4. He beat out Rhodes when in the ruck earlier in the season... but didn't play last week though :( Sorely missed!

Is that the same Roo I easily out leaped 2 weekends ago?

I question that Liddle beat Rhodes on that day(both Rhodes and Liddle in bests). If he was that dominant it may have been better to ruck him all day - and have a chance to win the game !! Not being harsh but just my view on that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back