D4 D4 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.F.X beat mt.lil, in a ripper of a game! could have been some of the worst umpiring in d4 history!(big comment)
there were a couple of yellow cards for the day, S.F.X are a good side and a friendly bunch of blokes, as are the mt.lil boys who always stick around for a brew and chat! S.F.X just a shame about one of there senior boys(36) who couldnt get a touch in ''d4'' footy so started going the man.
Saw him kicking a player and throw two punches! but one man shouldn,t reflect on the group as a whole
Good luck to both teams for the year, and i''m positve they will both play finals this year

Also another massive win for W.Brunny, look out D4! the rumours are now confirmed!
well done to richmond.C, good win from a good club!
BHN of the mark now and Kew show there strength again.
Great year of d4 footy ahead!

S.F.X beat mt.lil, in a ripper of a game! could have been some of the worst umpiring in d4 history!(big comment)
there were a couple of yellow cards for the day, S.F.X are a good side and a friendly bunch of blokes, as are the mt.lil boys who always stick around for a brew and chat! S.F.X just a shame about one of there senior boys(36) who couldnt get a touch in ''d4'' footy so started going the man.
Saw him kicking a player and throw two punches! but one man shouldn,t reflect on the group as a whole
Good luck to both teams for the year, and i''m positve they will both play finals this year

You're right about it being a great game of footy, hope the atmosphere is that good for all our matches. Lots of banter from both supporters which created a good buzz without anything to sinister.FWIW I think animated supporters (within reason) are great for the game. Great turn out from both clubs supporters.

Any match that is as fast and physical as that is always going to be a tough game to umpire, worst ever is a silly call. Dunno about singling blokes out either, I could name a few numbers from mt lilydale who didn't mind the knuckle themselves. umpires dealt with offenders accordingly so let's shift on.

A really enjoyable game to be playing in, thought the standard was right up there. Cheers to all the Mt Lilydale boys coming in for a brew too, great bunch of blokes.

Sneako, it was a great game of footy, glad we got up on the day in front of wat was prob the biggest Ammos crowd I have seen. Good atmosphere Def!!!!!

Dont know about the worst umpiring ever. Some of it was ordinary, but that happens in D4 footy. But I did make an observation and this is directed at NELLUP. Take this as constructive critisism and not a dig at umpires. Peter, you can not umpire a game of footy standing 60m away from the contest, it was so frustrating to both sides. 2 perfect examples yesterday, you paid 2 marks from a handball???????????? Umpiring is not rocket science, it takes a little bit of common sense!!!!

And Sneako, having a dig at one of our players is not on!!! I will remind you of your no 46 who all he wanted to do all day was belt someone. (Just ask the ump). So give that a rest mate!!

But have to say was a good game to play and played in great spirits. Look forward to the return match!!

Firstly congrats to the Snakes yesterday, outplayed us and have made enormous strides over the last couple of years.

Now I'm hoping Nelly will respond to this although Taskmaster has probably just got his back up....
Has there been a direction to the umpires to hold on from blowing the whistle in pack situations for as long as possible or was it just the two umpires yesterday off their own bat? I must admit I didn't notice it last week and I have similar memories from these same umpires of last year.
Particularly in the first half of yesterday's seniors when there was a contested ball on the deck and a pack formed, the players were waiting for the whistle to blow and a ball up to ensue.

At yesterdays match the umpires did not blow the whistle and although they were standing over the pack and it was obvious the ball was not coming out, did not blow the whistle for a ball up. I can't understand this thinking. If the idea is for the play to keep moving, then a ball up is the quickest way to do this. If the idea is to see if the ball will release by itself then ok, allow a couple of seconds for this to happen. Once it is obvious that it is not happening, then again get on with the game and throw it up. What did happen yesterday was that it became a situation where it seemed we were playing rugby. Blokes would pile on top trying to clear the pack and try and get the ball to release out the back. This is not our game. Guys on the bottom of an aussie rules pack should not expect that it will become stacks on.

It became an almost comical situation where all the players around the pack had stopped and once they realised that the umpire was doing nothing - then piled on the pack.

This is a very dangerous practice for our game and one were it was only a matter of time before someone got seriously hurt. It marred the spectacle of the game and did not allow any flow.

I hope that it was not a direction from the league and that you Nelly as our "resident white maggot" to use your own turn of phrase, can take back to your training. I don't like having a go at umpires, and I don't wish to be seen as whinging, as the umpires yesterday certainly did not influence the result of our match, I am simply hoping that this practice is a one off and you may be able to provide some feedback.

Umpire abusing. Peter seems to have a reputation as an ordinary umpire at best, that is why he gets a gig in D4. All clubs cop the same whack of poor decisions and it evens out.
SFX show that they are truly in the mix this season along with trendsetters WB. Mt Lilydale will still come home strong and be in finals contention. They believe they are still a week or two from getting their stuff together and showed enough yesterday.
Disappointingly it looks to be a reasonably lopsided season. Results thus far seem to suggest that teams such as Syndal, NB, Bulleen and SM will struggle significantly, with EP and Box Hill mid ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sneako, it was a great game of footy, glad we got up on the day in front of wat was prob the biggest Ammos crowd I have seen. Good atmosphere Def!!!!!

Dont know about the worst umpiring ever. Some of it was ordinary, but that happens in D4 footy. But I did make an observation and this is directed at NELLUP. Take this as constructive critisism and not a dig at umpires. Peter, you can not umpire a game of footy standing 60m away from the contest, it was so frustrating to both sides. 2 perfect examples yesterday, you paid 2 marks from a handball???????????? Umpiring is not rocket science, it takes a little bit of common sense!!!!

And Sneako, having a dig at one of our players is not on!!! I will remind you of your no 46 who all he wanted to do all day was belt someone. (Just ask the ump). So give that a rest mate!!

But have to say was a good game to play and played in great spirits. Look forward to the return match!!

O.K! Probably should'nt have dropped a number, fair call.
The umpiring was dreadful, but would'nt have influenced the outcome of the match. I did have a good laugh at the marks paid from handballs though!:)

You're right about it being a great game of footy, hope the atmosphere is that good for all our matches. Lots of banter from both supporters which created a good buzz without anything to sinister.FWIW I think animated supporters (within reason) are great for the game. Great turn out from both clubs supporters.

Any match that is as fast and physical as that is always going to be a tough game to umpire, worst ever is a silly call. Dunno about singling blokes out either, I could name a few numbers from mt lilydale who didn't mind the knuckle themselves. umpires dealt with offenders accordingly so let's shift on.

A really enjoyable game to be playing in, thought the standard was right up there. Cheers to all the Mt Lilydale boys coming in for a brew too, great bunch of blokes.

I will shift on as we dont want to start naming blokes, or pointing out bad umpires (nell-up) ooop's. The standard of footy, as you said, was great! a real compliment to D4 footy.
:thumbsu:

its like playing in a cows paddock , muddy floors in changes rooms

Agree with you there Fisho, well played game yesterday. There is a snap on our site of you having one of your fifteen shots for goal.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?c=1-3232-36822-0-08sID=41424/&sID=41430

For those who haven't been to Sth Mornington in the height of drought season, have a look at the state of the ground in these pics and ensure a VAFA inspection has been done. This one in particular shows it best.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/pics/53/40/5340562_firstImageIMG.jpg

This ground is not suitable for football at any level.

I will shift on as we dont want to start naming blokes, or pointing out bad umpires (nell-up) ooop's. The standard of footy, as you said, was great! a real compliment to D4 footy.
:thumbsu:

We are playing in the lowest grade of ammos so we should expect the umpires may not be up to elite levels. Found the umpiring at the Kew V albert park game to be good, they let the play flow and didn't pay to many soft frees.

Umpire abusing. Peter seems to have a reputation as an ordinary umpire at best, that is why he gets a gig in D4. All clubs cop the same whack of poor decisions and it evens out.
SFX show that they are truly in the mix this season along with trendsetters WB. Mt Lilydale will still come home strong and be in finals contention. They believe they are still a week or two from getting their stuff together and showed enough yesterday.
Disappointingly it looks to be a reasonably lopsided season. Results thus far seem to suggest that teams such as Syndal, NB, Bulleen and SM will struggle significantly, with EP and Box Hill mid ladder.

I must be going soft.
Never thought I would be one to defend the 'WMs'.
First off let me explain how an umpire is allotted a gig in D4.

Young umpires who have started in under age matches and progressed to Clubbies need to stop at the D4 platform on their way up the ladder. Not always the worst umpires going around.

Older umpires who may not be able to still run the 400m in olympic qualifying time and therefore not be considered ABC standard by 'Wiggy' and his honchos down at Elsternwick Pk. Not the fittest but not the worst decision makers.

Some umpires can't get to every training session at Maggot HQ due to work commitments, but are still happy to blow the whistle in the Ds. Not always up with the latest strange inturpretation, but often still quite decent decision makers.

If 2 teams have a history of wanting to kill each other, they will often get a couple of high flying maggots with tight shorts and gelled up hair styles to take control. Try telling them their doing D4 coz their crap umpires.

Finally, yes there are a few who are doing D4 because they are pretty ordinary umpires.

Before you criticise your maggot, try walking a mile in his shoes. I did back in the early 90s. I was amazed how often players obscured my view of the play. I often new something had happened but as I had not seen it, I could not give a free. I often forgot to blow the whistle for a mark and occassionly blew to early (hold the smat comments) for a mark only to see the player drop the pudden. I had bugger idea who had played well for either team and each match in a constant state of anxiety.

Peter is a rare breed of umpire. Almost made extinct by various over regulating governing bodies. He has personality. I saw him in action at
Elgar Park last week. He is not the best umpire and does not profess to be at his age. He does pay it as he sees it. He will communicate with all players with out feeling the need to patronise them. Sometimes he can be a little leniant on players that lose their cool. But if a player is badly hurt from a unfair action, by another player, he will come down very hard and take it all the way to tribunal without worrying about his Tuesday night being ruined.
Last week he paid plenty of frees against BHN. Fair enough to. The were second to the ball early in the game and did not win the right to get the easy ones for the rst of the day. No BHN person had the slightest thought of blaming the umps for their loss in round one. Albert Park were the better team on the day.
So round 1 he has a good game. Rd 2 he makes a couple of mistakes (so it is reported). I saw BHN seniors drop 7 uncontested marks in the first 10 minutes of yesterday's game. Can't imagine what the equivilent would be from a pair of umpires; and I hope I never get to find out.
Pete is also first to turn up to your club to help raise funds for worthy causes. I don't even see VAFA officials come down to clubs who are trying to raise funds for very sick members.

Yeah, we don't get the best and brightest maggots. Sometimes the odd one can send my blood boiling. But give me more of Pete's type of umpire and less of the gelled up egos from the alphabet sections.

Excuse me now as I need to go wash. I feel rather unclean.:(

Tasky;I'll cop one mark but not 2, and that one the sun blinded me coming over the top of the building and I corrected it,can't do much more than that,next game I'll put my super human eyes in that are'nt effected by the sun's glare.
Cjay;No directives issued that I am aware of and because all umps can now be identified I will not make personel comments.

I wasn't going to comment on the observations made on me personally,"ordinary" and "D4 standed" etc.But stuff it,I will;I have never claimed to perfect and even after umpiring many more games than most players have played I still learn something from every game,we are all observed by extremely tuff observers and never know when they are there,we just get the kick in the arse after,I get observed more than most because one of the observers for VAFA also does the junior league I umpire on Sundays,yes I get pulled up as do you as players by your coaches,let me guarantee you that if I did not measure up I would be out.
Tasky;the reason I was 60 mtrs.behind the play ,as you say, correctly,I was,is that I was staying behind to control several players who were having a little grab and chat to each other,what you obviously didn't notice was that I had handed the game over and was not in control,the reason you probably didn't notice was that my partner was astute enough the notice quickly what was happening and took the game way out of position so we could cover the game and the incident,which is what we are supposed to do.

THINGS ARE CERATINLY HOT TONIGHT;
No doubt you are all aware of the hype around SFX,so is our club and we play them shortly,so I was given the task of the road trip to have a look before we lock horns.Great crowd,hope they all come to our game,the bar will love it.
On the subject of umpires I noticed that the same bloke who did the 2's also ran with Peter,got his name from the VAFA web site before I left,asked some spectators and found out he is also a VAFA ump and he ran both games,fair effort that.Also spoke to a little bloke from SFX for a good part of the game and found out that Peter is also the nellup on here so my "eyes " pricked up when I read about him in above posts.Yep I saw the incorrectly given mark but also saw him ball it up when he realised the error.It was at that time of day when the sun is low,could be fair enough.
I did come from a higher grade and that is as far as I will go in divulging my I.D.for mine I am confused about some of the comment on the umpiring in yesterdays game,I thought that both umps were paying frees from the same book and on the same page I was impartial of course,reading from comments here,I did see the scuffle,nothing much in it ,but one ump did hang back to have a word or 2,couple of frees that I wouldn't have paid by both umps but what else is new,if thats all we get when we we play SFX that'll do me.
Saw one SFX bloke go down with what looked like a collar bone from the way the trainer put his arm in his jumper,can anyone confirm.

Have to agree with Spy1, everyone loves to bag an umpire but its amazing how they shut up once they've run about with a whistle themselves. I get this all the time in the juniors, the same parents who arc up about decisions or missed frees all magically vanish whenever its time to hand out tops for water carriers, boundaries, goal umps etc. None of them in a month of Sundays would ever put their hand up to do a coaches or umps course (even with the club meeting all expenses). Probably too fragile to stomach the thought of copping a spray from their fellow ferals.

Any (league) umpire does the best that they can on the day. Those who are there to make up the numbers get observed and get reported by clubs and get weeded out. Our Nelly could easily get a gig in any other comp and be running a second division game every weekend (provided the knees could take it). Ammo field umpires are a large group and the majority treat it as seriously as any player intent on having a good game. To get noticed and climb the ladder requires youth, ability and bloody hard work, pick any two. Spy1 spelled it out. D4 is a pitstop for the young scufflers and those turned out to pasture, but especially those who like the atmosphere and the clubs and are comfortable where they are. Rejoice, and cherish them, even if they pay the odd handball mark, because they are the backbone of your comp.

Spy1 missed another category of WM - those tight-shorted gelled alphabet boys who occasionally get a D4 gig because vacancies come up and they volunteer their time (cliche alert) for the love of the game. They can seem inconsistent because they'll pull you up for stuff you've got away with all season. But thats the same for both sides - deal with it.

Oh, another category less often seen is a higher grade umpire moonlighting as a club umpire. Happens occasionally, especially for praccies and Sunday games. You never know which clubby you heap abuse on this week might turn up wearing official whites later on.

So stick it up 'em, Nelly, and keep running until you're 70. Add me to the list of those who'll buy you a beer after the game.

Have to agree with Spy1, everyone loves to bag an umpire but its amazing how they shut up once they've run about with a whistle themselves. I get this all the time in the juniors, the same parents who arc up about decisions or missed frees all magically vanish whenever its time to hand out tops for water carriers, boundaries, goal umps etc. None of them in a month of Sundays would ever put their hand up to do a coaches or umps course (even with the club meeting all expenses). Probably too fragile to stomach the thought of copping a spray from their fellow ferals.

Any (league) umpire does the best that they can on the day. Those who are there to make up the numbers get observed and get reported by clubs and get weeded out. Our Nelly could easily get a gig in any other comp and be running a second division game every weekend (provided the knees could take it). Ammo field umpires are a large group and the majority treat it as seriously as any player intent on having a good game. To get noticed and climb the ladder requires youth, ability and bloody hard work, pick any two. Spy1 spelled it out. D4 is a pitstop for the young scufflers and those turned out to pasture, but especially those who like the atmosphere and the clubs and are comfortable where they are. Rejoice, and cherish them, even if they pay the odd handball mark, because they are the backbone of your comp.

Spy1 missed another category of WM - those tight-shorted gelled alphabet boys who occasionally get a D4 gig because vacancies come up and they volunteer their time (cliche alert) for the love of the game. They can seem inconsistent because they'll pull you up for stuff you've got away with all season. But thats the same for both sides - deal with it.

Oh, another category less often seen is a higher grade umpire moonlighting as a club umpire. Happens occasionally, especially for praccies and Sunday games. You never know which clubby you heap abuse on this week might turn up wearing official whites later on.

So stick it up 'em, Nelly, and keep running until you're 70. Add me to the list of those who'll buy you a beer after the game.

:eek: I thought he was 70 :eek:

I'll get away with that one.
The lovely (and long suffering) Mrs 'Nelly' will have tucked the dear old fella into bed with his cocoa by now.:D

Saw a bit of the Kew v Albert Park game, as mentioned early umpires were good, the ground is in perfect condition and is a great venue to watch the footy on a Saturday afternoon.

Kew look like a very good team with a mixture of young fast players (form a recent U/19 premiership team) and a lot of talls who can take a grab. Albert Park didn't have the height of the speed to match it with Kew.

Kew would of won by a lot more if they were les selfish, there is not a lot of centering of the ball when going for goals, everyone was having pings from all angles.

In summary, Kew are a very good team and thirves on a big ground, while Albert Park look like a middle of the road team who needs a smaller ground to be at their best.

Saw a bit of the Kew v Albert Park game, as mentioned early umpires were good, the ground is in perfect condition and is a great venue to watch the footy on a Saturday afternoon.

Kew look like a very good team with a mixture of young fast players (form a recent U/19 premiership team) and a lot of talls who can take a grab. Albert Park didn't have the height of the speed to match it with Kew.

Kew would of won by a lot more if they were les selfish, there is not a lot of centering of the ball when going for goals, everyone was having pings from all angles.

In summary, Kew are a very good team and thirves on a big ground, while Albert Park look like a middle of the road team who needs a smaller ground to be at their best.

Might as well weigh (pardon the pun) into the umpire debate.
When you have been around for as long as I have, you take the good with the bad and I reckon it comes out about even. Sure some shockers, but sometimes you get away with a couple too!!!!

BTW, the reserves umpires for North Brunswick is very very good. Thought Reno in the seniors did a fine job too. Well done all round.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back