D4 D4 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waz,

I was investigating why Point Cook's % in the magoos is so bad, and checking scores, it says they didn't manage to bother the goal umpires in round 1, is that true or have they shown their inexperience and been penalised under one of the VAFA's many obscure rules

Player who was an emergency ended up playing thinking his Registration papers were in on the Friday before deadline BUT they were not !!! No score for an unregistered player unfortunately !

Player who was an emergency ended up playing thinking his Registration papers were in on the Friday before deadline BUT they were not !!! No score for an unregistered player unfortunately !

Do you know what Point Cook scored? Did they keep up with Richmond?

Bogans 'v' Boc Dill Norf mate - too much moccasin power - bogans by 5 goals

HECS dodgers 'v' Werribee sewerage farm neighbours - Dodgers by 10 goals

Toothless Tigersnakes v Banshee wailers plus "I don't like no.10" - Wailers by 5 goals

Swineburn 'v' Shopping Centre carpark louts - Swines by 25 goals

Eley Park f.a.r.k.s. (BTW where is Eley Park? Why are they named this - isn't there home ground in Box Hill or Blackburn???) 'v' Paid for, Passionate and Punchers Manningham - the headbutters by 8 goals.

:):):)

Bogans 'v' Boc Dill Norf mate - too much moccasin power - bogans by 5 goals

HECS dodgers 'v' Werribee sewerage farm neighbours - Dodgers by 10 goals

Toothless Tigersnakes v Banshee wailers plus "I don't like no.10" - Wailers by 5 goals

Swineburn 'v' Shopping Centre carpark louts - Swines by 25 goals

Eley Park f.a.r.k.s. (BTW where is Eley Park? Why are they named this - isn't there home ground in Box Hill or Blackburn???) 'v' Paid for, Passionate and Punchers Manningham - the headbutters by 8 goals.

:):):)

...go down Eley Rd...in between Blackburn Rd and Middleborough Rd...a suburb of about 250 people.

Round 3 Preview

North Brunswick over Sth Mornington by 16 Pts (Hard to know which Brunswick will turn up, but I suspect they will be out to redeem lost pride and just hold on against Sth. The wet should help too).
Eley Park over Chadstone by 51 Pts (On paper one of the few games that Chaddy will be a chance in this season, however, when you can only boot one goal in near perfect conditions it doesn’t matter who the opposition is. Sharks by plenty).
Richmond over Swinburne by 16 Pts (Clear match of the day as both teams were impressive last week. Both have also accounted for Pt Cook but the home ground advantage may be enough for the Snakes).
Mt Lilydale over Manningham by 14 Pts (Should be another cracker of a contest, just feel that an attack that boasts Justin Roberts and Andrew Rodwell will be too much for the Cobras who still have not applied their trade against the better teams in the grade).
Pt Cook over Box Hill North by 22 Pts (Always reluctant to tip a team that has lost their first two, but it may well be that the Doggies have played two finalists already, so I am willing to give them one more chance).

Round 3 Review

Glad to report that I managed 5/5 (12/15 cumulative) however, so did most pundits with all the favourites saluting! Clear winners for the weekend were Mt Lilydale. They are simply belting sides and have arguably the best forward in the competition, Andrew Rodwell firing in front of the big sticks. The way they prevented the Cobras from any sort of definitive possession in the middle part of Saturday’s game had to be seen to be believed and clearly frustrated the Manningham boys. The Tiger-snakes were the other big winners in a hard fought contest against the Razorbacks. Everyone keeps talking up the Gryphons, but in my book, they have played no one and hence Richmond or The Rams should be on the first line of betting. Good to see The Doggies and Nth Brunswick register their first wins of the year and Eley Park were far too strong for the once mighty Synners.

Round 4 Preview

Sth Mornington over Box Hill Nth by 24 Pts (South are really not as bad as their 0-3 scoreline suggests and at home will be far too strong for the Demons. Greg Pullen to star for the home side).
Monash over Pt Cook by 33 Pts (The Gryphons ‘Achilles heel’ has been their belated starts so I am sure this is something that the coaching staff will be looking to rectify. Pt Cook have not lived up to pre-season hype and will find this one too tough. Mick Malloy to star across half back for the victors).
Mt Lilydale over Richmond by 11 Pts (Match of the se4ason thus far. The two early season pacesetters are sure to please the sell-out crowd at Mercy College. If the Snakes can shut down the Rams forward line they will probably win, but I fancy the home side in a tight, hard fought contest).
Swinburne over Chadstone by 116Pts (The margin is the only variable once again and it is hard to see what is motivating Chadstone each week).
The Cobras over Eley Park by 18 Pts (Should be a tight contest and is the sort of game Manningham simply have to win if they are to challenge for finals. I think their harder bodied players may prove too much for the Sharks, but it will be close all day)

Good luck to all

Quasi

Monash over Pt Cook by 33 Pts (The Gryphons ‘Achilles heel’ has been their belated starts so I am sure this is something that the coaching staff will be looking to rectify. Pt Cook have not lived up to pre-season hype and will find this one too tough.

Go Monash & Go Mizel!

Ahhh... Nice day in Mt Lilydale spoilt by a report that put us a man down for nearly the whole last quarter.

That is a really tough penalty. I don't think we could have won the game, but losing a player who can't be replaced on the field is TOUGH!

Congrats to Mt Lilydale. They were the better side.

Congrats to Mt Lilydale. They were the better side.

Similar story for Manningham v Eley Park. EP got the jump early, Cobras pegged them back; but in the finish EP were just prepared to work a bit harder.

Good job to them & the Cobras need to dig deep & get back on track this week v NB.

No Team Premiers GF Final 5 2nd Last
1 Monash Gryphons $1.90 $1.10 $1.00 $1,001.00
2 Mt Lilydale $2.00 $1.20 $1.00 $1,001.00
3 Richmond Central $16.00 $4.50 $1.02 $801.00
4 Swinburne Uni $21.00 $6.00 $1.10 $251.00
5 North Brunswick $41.00 $14.00 $1.90 $8.00
6 Manningham $101.00 $31.00 $2.30 $5.00
7 South Mornington $101.00 $51.00 $3.50 $6.00
8 Point Cook $501.00 $101.00 $4.00 $6.00
9 Box Hill North $501.00 $101.00 $11.00 $5.00
10 Eley Park $501.00 $251.00 $6.00 $4.00
11 Chadstone $5,001.00 $2,501.00 $21.00 $11.00

Johnny is right, we're down to a field of 2 for legitimate flag hopes at the moment. $16 the rest of the field indicates having to win 2 games (prelim & grand) and starting at about $4 in each at the moment.

New market is to finish 2nd last as that seems the more interesting than wooden spoon at this stage, despite a good effort from Chadstone on the weekend. (Perhaps I should stay on their backs if it brings out better performances)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny is right, we're down to a field of 2 for legitimate flag hopes at the moment. $16 the rest of the field indicates having to win 2 games (prelim & grand) and starting at about $4 in each at the moment.
Its interesting how quickly everyone is to jump on and off teams. Its was only 3 weeks ago that Monash were lucky to beat NB by less than 3 goals, but now apartently they are one of only two teams that can win the GF based on one result against PC.

I wouldn't read too much into margins in determining how much better one team is from another. Its pretty easy to kick away late in a game when one team drops off when the contest is over. Also teams do have off days and vice versa.

Having said that Mt Lilydale are clearly looking like the front runners at this stage, but i believe everyone else is still to be decided.

Its interesting how quickly everyone is to jump on and off teams. Its was only 3 weeks ago that Monash were lucky to beat NB by less than 3 goals, but now apartently they are one of only two teams that can win the GF based on one result against PC.

I wouldn't read too much into margins in determining how much better one team is from another. Its pretty easy to kick away late in a game when one team drops off when the contest is over. Also teams do have off days and vice versa.

Having said that Mt Lilydale are clearly looking like the front runners at this stage, but i believe everyone else is still to be decided.
I don't think you could put Monash's effort last Saturday in the "kick away late in the game" category. I believe the half time score was 100 pts to 4 pts. More like they took the foot off the accelerator or Pt Cook tried a different game plan that enabled them to kick a few goals.
Agree Mt Lilydale look the goods.

Its official. Its now a 2 horse race in D4.

Too early to call a two horse race !
History will tell us all that the ladder at this time of the year is great guide but I would not be ruling out a couple of other sides in the top half having a crack at the flag.
Injuries can play a major part of any team.
A big hello to my old mate 'Sneako' - its been a while.

Ok then Ill change my statement.
Its official. Point Cook are a very ordinary side.

Seriously though. Ive seen both Mt Lilly and Monash play and Id rate the mountain men just in front. They looked to have a better forward line with a couple of good tall targets and their midfield were very good users of the footy.

Similar story for Manningham v Eley Park. EP got the jump early, Cobras pegged them back; but in the finish EP were just prepared to work a bit harder.

Good job to them & the Cobras need to dig deep & get back on track this week v NB.

should be a good game in the twos this week. you must of picked up a few players down at the Cobras, or are you stacking the twos. lol

Ok then Ill change my statement.
Its official. Point Cook are a very ordinary side.

Seriously though. Ive seen both Mt Lilly and Monash play and Id rate the mountain men just in front. They looked to have a better forward line with a couple of good tall targets and their midfield were very good users of the footy.

This section is like half the others. It's all over. Just give it to Quasi now!
Monash are 1/10 on. Only way they could lose is if they get lost on the way to the Grand Final ground!

THE EYE
:cool:

RESULTS ROUND 5:

Sth.Mornington-108 defeat Box Hill Nth-63: Sth.Mornington finally on the board with a win. Tight contest until the home side ran away late in the 3rd quater.
Monash-165 defeat Pont Cook-33: Nice % booster, but they are still yet to beat any contenders and will get that chance in round 7 travelling to Richmond. They will stay undefeated until then I'd assume.
Mt.Lilydale-117 defeat Richmond Centrals-35: Can you declare a flag favourite after 5 rounds?? If so, they are it! The Rams seem to be keeping all sides so far to fairly low scoring this year. They dont play Monash until round 10 and may just remain undefeated until then also.
Swinburne Uni-75 defeat Chadstone-49: Expected the Uni boys to gain some % here but Chadstone seemed to have turned up ready to play.
Eley Park-81 defeat Manningham-72: I dont think any would have tipped this. 6 scoring shots apiece in the last quater with Eley Park just a little better in the end. Maybe the Rams stunted Manninghams 'self belief' the previous week.

Absolutely agree that the midfield will determine the winner in most games. While My Lilydale appear to have a couple of strong forwards, don't underestimate the Monash backline's ability to cope with them.

I don't think you could put Monash's effort last Saturday in the "kick away late in the game" category. I believe the half time score was 100 pts to 4 pts. More like they took the foot off the accelerator or Pt Cook tried a different game plan that enabled them to kick a few goals.
Agree Mt Lilydale look the goods.
Not saying they kicked away late, was more refering to the Mt Lilydale game. But like johnny said point cook do seem to be very dissapointing, and I don't think that a big win against them means anything in terms of the premiership race. I think round 7 will be when we find out whether or not Monash are the real deal. Until then they cant really prove anything other than they are a top 4 side.

RESULTS ROUND 5:

Sth.Mornington-108 defeat Box Hill Nth-63: Sth.Mornington finally on the board with a win. Tight contest until the home side ran away late in the 3rd quater.
Monash-165 defeat Pont Cook-33: Nice % booster, but they are still yet to beat any contenders and will get that chance in round 7 travelling to Richmond. They will stay undefeated until then I'd assume.
Mt.Lilydale-117 defeat Richmond Centrals-35: Can you declare a flag favourite after 5 rounds?? If so, they are it! The Rams seem to be keeping all sides so far to fairly low scoring this year. They dont play Monash until round 10 and may just remain undefeated until then also.
Swinburne Uni-75 defeat Chadstone-49: Expected the Uni boys to gain some % here but Chadstone seemed to have turned up ready to play.
Eley Park-81 defeat Manningham-72: I dont think any would have tipped this. 6 scoring shots apiece in the last quater with Eley Park just a little better in the end. Maybe the Rams stunted Manninghams 'self belief' the previous week.

I think the 27 Behinds the Razorbacks kicked may flatter the scoreboard just a little bit......

This isn't the AFL, most teams know relatively very little about any of the other teams at the start of the year. As for jumping on and off teams, I think everyone was on the Gryphons, to a certain degree, at the start of the year, and no one has jumped off (I think they went out from $2.00 fav to $3.00 fave after beating Nth Brunswick in my odds) and Mt. Lilydale, through giving up 150 points in 4 matches has only had people jumping on them.

As for the other two early season fancies, Swinburne, a 10 goal loss to a side (Richmond) who go beaten by 14 goals the following week will do that. They weren't just beaten, they were flogged.

No doubt the Rams have the best form line, smacking Nth Brunswick compared to the Gryphons who just got over the line. But I agree you can't always relate margins against other games. Round 1 at home is always a big game, especially when openning your new rooms.

Obviously Monash hasn't beaten any fancied teams yet, but that's not their fault. The next few weeks will tell, but it seems daylight is running third presently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back