Daisy's Legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of players have good media training and know the right things to say.

When was the last time you heard a player say "Look, the coach was an absolute tosser. He clearly had no idea what he was doing. Couldn't put up with it any more." ?

Darren Jolly

I prefer a team who pays their players based on what they can bring to the team in 2014 and beyond.

Yep, it was the smart medium to long term decision from Collingwood IMO.

If Collingwood TRULY thought Daisy was worth $700k per year out of the salary cap for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and optionally 2018, then yes, they would have kept him.

Turns out they didn't - doesn't take much imagination to understand why.
Does it actually matter why?

If the Pies wanted him, they would have actively seeked to get their offer closer to the expectation.

People on here were hating on Cloke last year until he signed, will it be Reid this year?

Thomas helped deliver us a flag, and opted to look after himself when Collingwood wouldn't come to the party. Is it any different to Leon walking out when the Pies didn't offer what he thought he deserved? Only difference is Dale had other clubs willing to offer him what he felt he deserved, unlike Leon.

The only loyalty in football is between fan and club.

If the Pies wanted him, they would have actively seeked to get their offer closer to the expectation.

There's two questions that need to be answered ...

(1) Does the club want to allocate one of its precious list spots for the player?

For players like Fevola and Garlett the answer was clearly "no". For Wood in 2013 the answer was clearly "no" despite a time being left on his contract. Similar situations for Dawes and Russell and Shaw. I reckon the club would have happily had Daisy on their list - never saw anything out of the club to suggest otherwise. You may disagree and that's cool.

And if question (1) gets answered "yes" then we move onto question (2) ...

(2) Can the club afford and justify the player's (negotiated) asking price?

I'm sure Collingwood would love to have Gary Ablett jnr on their list - but can they afford him? No.

Similarly, I reckon Collingwood would have liked to have Dale Thomas on their list as well. But at $700K a year? No.

-----

Look, if Collingwood were truly looking to get rid of Dale Thomas as you are suggesting; then why did Carlton offer him $700K/a on a four year contract? Surely Carlton could have got away with offering Thomas a whole lot less?

It simply ain't that simple.

This was Thomas' big contract, cashing in on his great form from 10/11, when he was what a top 20 player in the league.

He may hv initially been very keen to stay at Collingwood.

His mgr may hv been started negotiations thinking 600k is reasonable but to shoot for closer to 700k, Collingwood unfortunately think he is 400k plus performance incentives....clearly something would hv to give.

Mgr inform Dale, so he tests the water.....and he finds that lucrative 700k contract they were hoping to get from Collingwood.

Collingwood no intention of matching the 700k, so Dale leaves.

If Collingwood TRULY wanted to keep him, they would have.

So we should just match other offers....just 'cos?

Fact is, 10/11 was 3/4 seasons ago. Why would we match 700K based of 3 seasons ago? Sorry, but this was a mercenary job plain and simple. I'm just glad Bucks had the nerve to not give in.

Fact is, our list is better than Carlton's, so they could afford to pay overs. We can't. We pay Pendlebury between 700K and 800K. You telling me we should pay Thomas what we pay Pendlebury?

If Thomas doesn't regain his 2010 standard, I will think it only fair, since the initial ankle injury was suffered against Carlton. They will have inflicted the problem and then bought it at an exorbitant price.A great result.
My only hope concerning Thomas is that he never plays well against us. Otherwise, he no longer interests me.

I'm not suggesting we pay Thomas 700k, as I said I agree with the club's decision.

I am happy to fondly remember a bloke who helped us win a flag, and was a very important and popular member of that team.

Fact is one club valued Dale in the vicinity of 700k, if we were only willing to offer 500k, then I don't have an issue with a professional footballer going to get the extra 800k over the length of a contract. Some serious coin there, and as shown with Didak this year clubs are cut throat in spitting club faves out.

I just don't get the 'mercenary' line that people trot out, they are professional footballers not blokes playing in the ammos with their mates for the love of the game.

Paying Daisy's asking price was not even an option.

You can't give a guy who hasn't performed or played much in the last 2 years a pay rise. Especially when other stars like Pendlebury have accepted unders to play keep playing.

Calton have paid overs for Daisy. Good on them because if you want a player then you have to pay overs. You can't just go to him and offer him the same money and expect him to move.

But it was never an option to match the offer. You can't go rewarding players for 2 poor years because they were really good 3 years ago. Especially when he has ongoing ankle issues that may never fully heal.

When you boil it down, that's what it comes down to. Perhaps if Daisy had a better relationship with Buckley then he would've stayed and played for less. But it's irrelevant really. He accepted the higher offer which he is entitled to do. It's just an insult that it is our greatest rival who poached him. But we have the same access to Free Agency as them and we will snatch a big star through it one day too.

In terms of his legacy, I think in 10 years time he will be remembered as a key component of our premiership side. But in the mean-time he is the enemy and I have no love for him. It will be that way for some time. Let's just hope he never wins a flag at Carlton because then it will be harded to accept him back.

Some very interesting discussion here, and I can see why people feel the way they do on either side of the equation.

But for me, as I've said before, this is footy and I therefore reserve my right to refrain from rational thought when it comes to certain subjects. One of those is the scum. They are a detestable club that fritters away top draft picks, pays big bucks for players developed by clubs that are actually capable of doing so, and when all else fails they bring out the brown paper bag when they think no one is watching.

So when a much-loved Collingwood player happily takes good money for a very ordinary year followed by a year of injury, tells the kids who are hanging on his every word to get the 13 jumpers out of the bin, THEN walks to our most hated rival (and I use the word rival very loosely these days), my reaction is, and will continue to be:

Stuff you, you Carlton filth. I hope you fail miserably.

Now that may change once his career is over... It all depends on how it all plays out. But as long as he's affiliated with "them", he's just a smug bellend in a blue blouse.

Feelings will take a while to settle. He is a Carlton player now and that makes all the difference. He can never be like the other premiership heroes now. Shouldn't expect to either. He has sold out on Collingwood. It's his right but it's our right to be pissed with him.

May get a limited welcome back in time. Prefer him to to align himself with the Blues for his future. It's a bit us and them and he is with them now so easier if he stays with them for good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His legacy is that the club should not invest so much in someone so young. Too much, too early, we created a brat and he behaved like one. Hence why there is no 'face' of our junior program anymore.

His other legacy is to confirm that free agency will impact on all clubs, big and small and change the way we view players.

Feelings will take a while to settle. He is a Carlton player now and that makes all the difference. He can never be like the other premiership heroes now. Shouldn't expect to either. He has sold out on Collingwood. It's his right but it's our right to be pissed with him.

May get a limited welcome back in time. Prefer him to to align himself with the Blues for his future. It's a bit us and them and he is with them now so easier if he stays with them for good.

He will always attend flag reunions but that will be it. Ed is very forgiving but he won't be in charge for ever.

Personally I would be quite happy to see both he and MM never invited back. Our respect and the rewards that come with it should go to players who bled black and white not people who show mercenary tendencies. I have no problems with players moving on, the reasons behind it are what matters. He was never staying, always going to join his bum chum Mick.

The problem is he played games along the way and white anted the playing group.

Tuddy and Thomo, the captain and VC at the time, held out for more money... 'mercanary tactics'
Bob Rose left to get more coin playing in the bush
Leeter Collier left to go to Tassie to get paid more

Arguably four of our best ever champions displayed 'mercenary tendancies' where they either demanded more $$ or left to get more $$.

Peter McKenna also played for Carlton.

Last time I checked all of those players are celebrated and welcome.

Hopefully he doesn't make anymore ads.
Be even more cringeworthy than it was before with him in that shit jumper.

Exackery

Even the much hated Peter Moore has been forgiven. More so now that he might have a progeny who can play a bit!!!

And we didnt have a problem with David Cloke joining the club.....indirectly delivering us a premiership some 28 years later!!
even the great Peter Moore eh one of our greatest ever players ever hear moores name mentioned when this forum talks about past champions. Daicos. Carmen Greening Colliers Coventrys you leave this club you are tarnished and will never be mentioned as a club champion in the company just listed for mine leave the club and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out and by the way don't bother coming back you either love this club or gtfo and don't come back

Remove this Banner Ad

Daisy's Legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back