Dale Thomas-finally shaking the overrated tag?

Remove this Banner Ad

doovies

Debutant
Sep 8, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that Dale Thomas has clearly improved alot this year and is starting to live up to expectations. Also the fact that he is branded soft is more to do with his hair than the way he plays. IMO he is one of the toughest players going, around, never backas out of a hard contest and wins alot of hard ball. Wat does everyone else think?

Not one of the hardest as you suggested, but is far from soft. Would be leading the Copeland I'd say, has improved a lot this year. Keep a lid on it though, a long way to go... It's round 5.

Is this an open forum or is just for Collingwood people?
Just wondering who he has been getting kicks against.

Is this an open forum or is just for Collingwood people?
Just wondering who he has been getting kicks against.

Was BOG against the Hawks, and has been among our best in the other three matches. This is bigfooty though, I would expect nothing less than ignorance from opposition supporters. Underestimate him at your peril, the kid is finally becoming the player he should be. Less flash, more output.

Was BOG against the Hawks, and has been among our best in the other three matches. This is bigfooty though, I would expect nothing less than ignorance from opposition supporters. Underestimate him at your peril, the kid is finally becoming the player he should be. Less flash, more output.
Well we can now ignore everything else you say because that is pure garbage. He was good against us but went missing a bit during the game. Leon, Dids, O'Brien, Cloke, Shaw all had better games off the top of my head.

Can't say I noticed him much against us.

Whenever Collingwood are winning big, Daisy comes alive.
Downhill skier for mine

Rubbish, was one of Collingwood's best that day.

Two years ago, he was a one way runner, but at the start of last year he took that out of his game and was very defensively minded. Too much so. Didn't run or create enough, but this year he seems to have found a good mix of both.

Well we can now ignore everything else you say because that is pure garbage. He was good against us but went missing a bit during the game. Leon, Dids, O'Brien, Cloke, Shaw all had better games off the top of my head.

Both coaches gave him the full 5 votes for their award thing. Had 25 possies and kicked three goals, i certainly thought he deserved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Only Shaw was better than him, he had 26 good touches and 3 goals, two in the first when the game was too be won.

Two years ago, he was a one way runner, but at the start of last year he took that out of his game and was very defensively minded. Too much so. Didn't run or create enough, but this year he seems to have found a good mix of both.

I think that was MM just giving him a broad football education by playing him in a number of positions, similar to Clarkson playing Roughie down back early on in his career.

any BOG is debatable hero. the fact is triple M gave him the three votes best on ground amongst other scribes.

I must admit, I've never exactly thought Daisy was overrated. For me, he just has that x-factor that can pop up and win you a game. But I think what would be more beneficial to his side is for him to move away from the player that drifts in and out of games, and turn into a consistent contributor who can win games simply from the touches he amasses and ball use. I think we've really seen Daisy make some great steps towards becoming this player and his inside game definitely has gone up a few levels. Great for the game itself, really.

I think that was MM just giving him a broad football education by playing him in a number of positions, similar to Clarkson playing Roughie down back early on in his career.

Maybe, he still wasn't very impressive last year by any stretch.

I never thought he was overrated. I think it has more to do with the amount of media exposure that he gets - seriously! Living outside of Melbourne I was never really exposed to any of it, but i now kind of understand why his, for lack of a better term, the "joke" of the afl.

However, his still hot - though i wish he would get that arrogant flair back...
Oh and his actually a really courageous player - very underrated in that respect.

I think it has more to do with the amount of media exposure that he gets

That's actually a great point, Lovely! And one I hadn't even thought of. Expectations and opinions of him surely must be influenced by just how media-friendly and sellable he is. Hard to think of him as anything but a genuine nice guy, which really shouldn't affect the perceptions of his game itself. Whether it does or not is up to the individual, I guess.

I think that Dale Thomas has clearly improved alot this year and is starting to live up to expectations. Also the fact that he is branded soft is more to do with his hair than the way he plays. IMO he is one of the toughest players going, around, never backas out of a hard contest and wins alot of hard ball. Wat does everyone else think?
Always thought the kid was good, will get better and looks flash when playing well.

This guy watches football, rare occurrence around these parts.
Had a fractured foot for the better part of last year supposedly though which I think contributed pretty heavily to his lack of flair last year. Pretty decent assessment though.

I've been one of his biggest critics in the past, but he has certainly started well. Jumped the gun a bit with the thread, I think he still has a lot to prove, but he has undoubtedly improved. He has been judged pretty unfairly in the past though, definitely a strong case of perception > reality with Thomas. The media gigs certainly didn't help, but I still always found it hard to comprehend how he was overrated when literally every opposition supporter (and a good part of the Collingwood ones as well) didn't rate him.

Don't agree with the downhill skier call either, he has continually stood up for us in finals, he was our best in a losing team against the Saints last year. One of the big reasons we drafted him was his ability to play in the big games, he has done that so far.

Needs to continue to become more consistent though and I find his kicking can still be a bit errant at time. Helps that he has improved his tank a bit (and learnt where to run), because he tends to chase the play a bit and it results in him blowing up pretty easily.

Anyway, hopefully he sustains it over the year, we need blokes like him to take the next step if we are to be any sort of a chance.

:eek:

He cops a lot of criticism, but watch the work he does off the ball.

My biggest criticism is that he hasn't been able to read the play and get to the fall of the ball as much as he should given his abilities. I thought a couple of seasons as a tagger would do him the world of good as it would make him follow around the very best players and learn off them.

He was very good sat nite, but a plank of wood would have looked good against Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Thomas-finally shaking the overrated tag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back