Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

well, from my recollection Thomas only got 1 vote in the NAB rising star and the winner Danyle Pearce got 43, even marc murphy who was injured for the last 8 games of the season got 12 more votes than thomas. Some of the other first year players that got more votes than thomas include Grant Birchall on 5 votes and Clint bartram on 7 votes

big bomber said:
well, from my recollection Thomas only got 1 vote in the NAB rising star and the winner Danyle Pearce got 43, even marc murphy who was injured for the last 8 games of the season got 12 more votes than thomas. Some of the other first year players that got more votes than thomas include Grant Birchall on 5 votes and Clint bartram on 7 votes

Pearce isn't a first year player, chuck him out of the equation. Murphy was the no.1 draft pick and improved each game he played, he was under the microscope alot more and was terrific in a poor outfit. Thomas played 15 games (excl.Finals), which consisted of exactly 70% game-time, in a side that was top 3 for most games he played. Birchall played 16 games also, but played plenty leading into the voting and also statistically was better, and we all know selectors vote on a piece of paper given to them (thanks for the inside info KB!). Bartram played 22 games, and was well respected considering his lead-in to the year.

Then again, this has no impact on what the questions raised are. Thomas has been pretty much criticised as being a player who doesn't live up to his no.2 pick, despite the fact Collingwood lifts with him in the side, Collingwood fans love the guy for his enthusastic and courageous football, and the fact he showed plenty in his first season.

Longy413 said:
Great goal, but lets not get too carried away.

Boundary?

Well, he found the ball a step from the boundary, ran in a straight line towards goal, bawked Dean Solomon with ease and drilled a goal from outside 50 infront of 92,000 people, in which almost set up the game for the Pies.

A step from the boundary, please.

It was a brilliant goal, but lets not get carried away. He was 15m from the boundary when he picked it up, stopped (Solly kept going) and turned inside and kicked it from a step outside the 50 on pretty much a 45 degree angle, where the number 50 is painted on the arc.

And to whoever said he got around two Essendon players, it was most definately only one.

Lonie_from_50 said:
Pearce isn't a first year player, chuck him out of the equation. Murphy was the no.1 draft pick and improved each game he played, he was under the microscope alot more and was terrific in a poor outfit. Thomas played 15 games (excl.Finals), which consisted of exactly 70% game-time, in a side that was top 3 for most games he played. Birchall played 16 games also, but played plenty leading into the voting and also statistically was better, and we all know selectors vote on a piece of paper given to them (thanks for the inside info KB!). Bartram played 22 games, and was well respected considering his lead-in to the year.

Then again, this has no impact on what the questions raised are. Thomas has been pretty much criticised as being a player who doesn't live up to his no.2 pick, despite the fact Collingwood lifts with him in the side, Collingwood fans love the guy for his enthusastic and courageous football, and the fact he showed plenty in his first season.

Luv ya work Lonnie....:thumbsu: seriously there is a career and fortune begging you as Colliwobbles decorum annd behaviour coach to the masses

Passionate but factual, hard enough to not flinch at the knocks

All other 15 teams will wish they had No2 pick.... if he fulfills his potential

... which he has done nothing to suggest otherwise...

:confused: Q? for to Looonies out there... if you had his body and were 1st year in to a top 8 side... would YOU have the guts to do what he has DONE?

sloth6 said:
My thoughts - you're a f**king goose Huld and you are definately like the majority of all Essendon supporters; know nothing about the game and very little about opposition clubs and players.

He has played one season of AFL senior football ffs!

Good one peanut ! Just because one Bomber supporter doesnt rate Thomas the majority of us know nothing about footy.:rolleyes:

hulld said:
I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the following:

I'm not biased in saying this but I believe that Dale Thomas shouldn't have been picked at No.2 last year. He's not overly quick, skills are nothing special and he didn't have a hardball get all year. I can't see him being a midefielder in the future and he obviously isn't a KPP. Now you Collingwood supporters will say he'll be a half forward flank when he's older. I ask, why use the No.2 pick on a forward flanker???

Then you will say he took some great marks during the year, so what...
The best mark of all time was taken my Gary Moorcroft and he was a hack. Being able to take a speccie doesn't always cut it as an elite footballer.

I believe Collingwood would've been wiser to take either Xavier Ellis or Nathan Jones.

Your (unbiased) thoughts.......

Get real mate! You find a better first year player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corpuscles said:
:confused: Q? for to Looonies out there... if you had his body and were 1st year in to a top 8 side... would YOU have the guts to do what he has DONE?

Great call there. Give the kid some time to develop into his own before being so judge mental. Since I saw most of his game live in action, I find it crazy that some people are already convinced he will be an outside player who occassioanally shows flashes of brilliance. The kid is 19's years old with a stick figure frame playing in a top 8 side as nothing other than a fringe player. Yes he wasn't constantly finding the ball, but it ain't so easy when ur on the bench for a large majority of the game and then come on to play as a forwar.
There will forverver and a day be Thomas doubters, accusing collingwood of making a poor decision picking him up at #2, however let time be the judge of this overdone debate.

Cassius_Clay said:
Yeah and Ellis has played plenty of AFL games to prove that we should have picked him over Thomas :rolleyes:

Thomas IMO showed the most of any 2005 draftee besides Murphy.

BTW, Jones is a man (Unbelievably mature for an 18 year old) who wont improve nearly as much as Thomas, Ellis or any other draftee for that matter.

They said that about McLean as well.
Jones will improve, like all draftees do. Jones isn't used to the pace of AFL footy and doesn't have a lot of experience.
I do rate Thomas though and think Collingwood took a punt that will pay off in the future by picking him at no.2.

Longy413 said:
Apparantly they said that about McLean as well.
Did they? I didnt hear :rolleyes: :p

Jones wont be half the player that McLean is.

i don't understand the criticism over his percieved hardness at the ball, and i've seen more than one make negative comments about his attack. if there's one thing that's impressed me most about thomas it's his ability to put his body on the line, and come out with the footy.

well dale is a legend gonna win 3 brownlows, how can u say he hasn t had a hard ball get all year mate. his skills are unbelievable and his speed is a great asset. u bombers are just pissed coz paddy riders showed nothing this year.

Once Thomas and Dids are going we'll have 2 match winners.

Maybe not consistently get 30 touches, more like 15 to 25 but all very damaging.

May lack a bit of length with his kicking (still a straight 50m is pretty darn good) but he's only young and will pick that up with a good pre-season.

He played 3 very good games. 2 against Adelaide and 1 against WCE. Thye finish H&A 1 & 2. Not bad by my account.

I was abit confused about his selection at no.2, and it's hard to get a good opinion without having to wade through all the Pie/anti-Pie bias. I'll sit back and watch Dale Thomas with great interest in the next couple of years.

And apparently they said that about Brock McLean as well.

I think Dale Thomas showed why he was picked no. 2, he gave pie fans heaps to smile about and didn't really put a foot wrong, I'm not sure who else they should have selected? In fact, I think the 2005 draft as a whole has performed pretty well to date, especially seeing as it was universally touted as a weak draft.

hulld said:
I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the following:

I'm not biased in saying this but I believe that Dale Thomas shouldn't have been picked at No.2 last year. He's not overly quick, skills are nothing special and he didn't have a hardball get all year. I can't see him being a midefielder in the future and he obviously isn't a KPP. Now you Collingwood supporters will say he'll be a half forward flank when he's older. I ask, why use the No.2 pick on a forward flanker???

Then you will say he took some great marks during the year, so what...
The best mark of all time was taken my Gary Moorcroft and he was a hack. Being able to take a speccie doesn't always cut it as an elite footballer.

I believe Collingwood would've been wiser to take either Xavier Ellis or Nathan Jones.

Your (unbiased) thoughts.......

He's the new courtney johns

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back