Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn't consider SA as home? Says who exactly? He grew up there and also in WA. He has family in both states and was a part of the Port District playing before the draft.

You've got the IQ of a potato.

As mentioned, if Kozzy states he's open to leaving then it goes from there. Still plenty of time to go before the end.

You sir, are the one with an IQ of a Potato

From John Ralph today:

Melbourne has been assured by Kysaiah Pickett’s management that he is content at the Demons despite continual approaches from clubs across the country.

Pickett signed a new deal last April until 2027 and while he has spent time in Adelaide and West Australia growing up he does not consider either of them his home town.

Clubs including Port Adelaide have recently again upped the ante as they attempt to bring him back to the state where he lived with his uncle, Power legend Byron Pickett, for a time as he approached draft age.

But his manager Peter Rohde confirmed on Tuesday he had spoken with Melbourne football boss Alan Richardson as recently as Tuesday morning to assure him there was nothing to the speculation.

Pickett loves the city of Darwin and its tropical weather as an escape from the bitter cold of Melbourne’s winters.

But unless the AFL fast-tracks a 20th team into the Northern Territory before he retires, he will remain with Melbourne for the foreseeable future.

All Melbourne players have been disappointed with their response to a pair of straight-sets finals departures, flat they could not put together a deep finals run.

But as the Demons prepare to take on Collingwood in their round 24 clash on Friday night, his focus is on fulfilling his contract.

Ironically Pickett has just been spruiking the city in a fashion shoot for the City of Melbourne for splashed across his Instagram pages.

He and partner Ardu welcomed their first child in April this year, with Pickett enjoying a solid but not brilliant season with 34 goals after 40, 41 and 37 majors in his past three seasons for the Demons

Last edited:
Your team to start the list. Arguably your best player is playing the position he's playing atm. Houston would play that position 10 times better than dawson, so dawson can go back to playing his best football in his preferred position.
LoL

Big issues at your club, if he comes out and ask for a trade then you may not have a choice but work a deal or 3 way deal
who are you referring to? Petracca or Pickett?

Why are the issues big? Because one player is disgruntled because of medical trauma? If the player that was disgruntled was Will Verrall, this would be a non story. It's only a story because Petracca is a good player.

Not sure why Collingwood aren't pursuing him (apologies if they are).

Would fit in well there with how they play. Would probably also get midfield minutes with Pendles slowing down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought we would be looking at more of a rd 1 this year. I can see why Carlton would want to to be next year though, given the expectation would be it would be a late teens pick vs early teens this year.
Understandable. Doubt we would haggle much over a late teens/early teens pick tbh. I think we'd be happy to do the deal for pick 11 hypothetically as he is clearly worth that. However, the consideration for us is more around strategy. I believe we want to get another young player in before the Campo bids this year. Maybe we could figure out trading our F1 into this year's draft with another club and then moving that new pick to you guys for Houston.

I guess an important question is what works better for Port. Are you looking to get into this year's first round to pick up a player or would you prefer an asset that you can trade for an established player? I think we could be flexible and work the parameters of the deal around what you need.

Understandable. Doubt we would haggle much over a late teens/early teens pick tbh. I think we'd be happy to do the deal for pick 11 hypothetically as he is clearly worth that. However, the consideration for us is more around strategy. I believe we want to get another young player in before the Campo bids this year. Maybe we could figure out trading our F1 into this year's draft with another club and then moving that new pick to you guys for Houston.

I guess an important question is what works better for Port. Are you looking to get into this year's first round to pick up a player or would you prefer an asset that you can trade for an established player? I think we could be flexible and work the parameters of the deal around what you need.
I have no idea what we want to be honest apart from the media saying 2 firsts or don’t bother. There have been other media reports that we like the top 10 of this draft but nothing coming from the club. I personally think that losing Dan makes us a worse team in the short term no matter what we do, and so I am in the mindset of getting a player back in that makes us immediately better. Either way though losing him for a pick next year hamstrings us a bit in terms of options vs this year.

Would fit in well there with how they play. Would probably also get midfield minutes with Pendles slowing down.

No first round pick this year (Schulz trade) and I think their fans - the entire club actually - would be very nervous about giving up a future 1st.

Same reason why I dare say it's almost impossible for them to be genuine suitors in any discussions about Petracca, should the talk about him be genuine.

No first round pick this year (Schulz trade) and I think their fans - the entire club actually - would be very nervous about giving up a future 1st.

Same reason why I dare say it's almost impossible for them to be genuine suitors in any discussions about Petracca, should the talk about him be genuine.
This.

We have little draft capital (Pick ~31 this year or Future 1st) and little trade capital (just fringe players out of contract like Joe Richards, Kreuger, McInnes, etc.).
We are rumoured to have some cap space but that's about all.

I think he fits into the best side at the 10 Victorian clubs and most can find the money.

It's the draft picks that may be required to be given that rules clubs out. At this stage it's only media speculation but two firsts or a top 10 pick is high price given clubs seem to rate the draft. Port may have got that last year.

Last edited:

I don't personally think it's a matter of getting into the draft for Port with the Houston deal. It's more that Port are stating firmly that he's contracted and yes, if Houston wants to see if he can get to Victoria they are happy to oblige, however, it's minimum 2 1st round picks as starting point. That's his value is what Port are stating and rightfully so. Can't have 18 year olds who may be good but lack years of experience, going for 1st round picks yet a player who's experienced, AA, etc etc being less value than an 18 year old no AFL experience. That's why honestly, a lot of the players like Houston should be minimum 1 1st round pick plus a 2nd round pick as the bare minimum then it goes up based on other factors.

I don't personally think it's a matter of getting into the draft for Port with the Houston deal. It's more that Port are stating firmly that he's contracted and yes, if Houston wants to see if he can get to Victoria they are happy to oblige, however, it's minimum 2 1st round picks as starting point. That's his value is what Port are stating and rightfully so. Can't have 18 year olds who may be good but lack years of experience, going for 1st round picks yet a player who's experienced, AA, etc etc being less value than an 18 year old no AFL experience. That's why honestly, a lot of the players like Houston should be minimum 1 1st round pick plus a 2nd round pick as the bare minimum then it goes up based on other factors.
Your response is a little bit incoherent, but I will do my best.

My post was responding to a Port supporter regarding the strategy of each team in the negotiation. We were discussing if Port's priority would be picks in this draft or future assets.

As for your points, Port are welcome to use any negotiation tactics available to them. That is their right. However, the reality is that a 28 year old Dan Houston is not worth two first round picks in today's market. It's a very rare group of players that get traded for that amount of draft capital and Houston simply doesn't fit that mould. I think a good comparison would be the Adam Saad trade. We paid slight overs for an AA level HBF because he was playing for a rival club. I think our first this year or next with a future third is probably about right. You could probably get more in a deal if there were multiple bidders for his services, but it seems like we're the only club with serious interest at this point in time.

My post was responding to a Port supporter regarding the strategy of each team in the negotiation. We were discussing if Port's priority would be picks in this draft or future assets.

As for your points, Port are welcome to use any negotiation tactics available to them. That is their right. However, the reality is that a 28 year old Dan Houston is not worth two first round picks in today's market. It's a very rare group of players that get traded for that amount of draft capital and Houston simply doesn't fit that mould. I think a good comparison would be the Adam Saad trade. We paid slight overs for an AA level HBF because he was playing for a rival club. I think our first this year or next with a future third is probably about right. You could probably get more in a deal if there were multiple bidders for his services, but it seems like we're the only club with serious interest at this point in time.

Saad was out of contract.

Houston has multiple years to run. He’s going to cost more therefor.

Also a big different between pick 8 (Saad) and pick 11 (which will push back a couple) or a F1 which will likely be later again.

Absolutely he isnt worth 2 1st round picks, I think his point is Port dont want him to go, Dan is the 1 wanting to leave, Port Want him to stay and they told his manager for Port to entertain it they want 2 top 20 picks or he stays for the rest of the 4 years he is contracted too.

Personally i Dont think he will leave

Absolutely he isnt worth 2 1st round picks, I think his point is Port dont want him to go, Dan is the 1 wanting to leave, Port Want him to stay and they told his manager for Port to entertain it they want 2 top 20 picks or he stays for the rest of the 4 years he is contracted too.

Personally i Dont think he will leave
Someone comprehends it 👍

The other person being a carlton supporter just doesn't want to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back