Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saad was out of contract.

Houston has multiple years to run. He’s going to cost more therefor.

Also a big different between pick 8 (Saad) and pick 11 (which will push back a couple) or a F1 which will likely be later again.
OOC status is irrelevant if they aren’t free agents.

Saad is/was a better player which is why Houston will cost less.

OOC status is irrelevant if they aren’t free agents.

Saad is/was a better player which is why Houston will cost less.

Houston is likely about to be a dual AA player in his position and one of the best kicks in the league.

When Saad was traded, he had no AA, nothing. He was potential. Potential you could argue he never fully reached with only the 1 AA nod and no other accolades.

Houston is ahead of Saad as a player.

Contract status absolutely still plays a part. It’s completely ridiculous to ignore that or pretend it doesn’t affect the price tag.

OOC and the current club holds no power. Such as when Dawson went to the crows for unders. In contract, they can hold them until they get something reasonable to them or just keep the player.

Its also worth noting that this is thought to be a way stronger draft then the Covid affected one in which the pick for Saad was traded. That pick was highly speculative, whereas this year the draft is seen as very deep and even across the entire first round.

He will stay but be out of Port 2025 trade window.

No clubs can accomodate Ports demands.

Collingwood don’t have any picks,
Carlton are focussed on Trac and keeping their own players+ picks for draft twins
Saints aren’t prioritising half backs, Richmond rebuilding,
Doggies focussing on a key defender, Geelong delusional thinking they have Baz (who they won’t get) and other mids.
Melbourne a hot mess
North too far down the ladder
Hawks after Perryman if they go for any mid/half back.
Essendon stacked with half backs

Dan knows that he most likely won’t be back in Vic this year at all. He will go next year. Similar things have happened with Dunkley and others. This isn’t a papley mk2 where he can change his mind. He wants to leave and that’s certain.

Based on the above proof above, try and dispute those facts. That’s why I’m proven, I’ll even give you the hypothesis behind my bomba

I think a good comparison would be the Adam Saad trade. We paid slight overs for an AA level HBF because he was playing for a rival club. I think our first this year or next with a future third is probably about right. You could probably get more in a deal if there were multiple bidders for his services, but it seems like we're the only club with serious interest at this point in time.
Adam Saad in his last season for Essendon vs Dan Houston this season. Houston has:

+4.8 kicks per game
-0.7 handballs per game
+3.5 marks per game
+0.2 goals per game
+0.1 behinds per game
+1.5 tackles per game
+0.6 inside 50s per game
+0.2 goal assists per game
+0.7 contested possessions per game
+1.3 uncontested possessions per game
+3.7 effective disposals per game
+0.7 clearances per game
+0.6 rebound 50s per game
-0.1 intercepts per game
+83.9 meters gained per game

This is the guy you paid Pick 8 for, not 2022 AA Saad. And the equivalent of the trade ended up being between Pick 12 and 13 once the other draft pick swaps were factored in.

Even in Saad's AA year (2022), Houston is better than him this season:

+1.3 kicks per game
-0.2 handballs per game
+0.6 marks per game
+0.3 goals per game
+0.2 behinds per game
+1.3 tackles per game
+0.8 inside 50s per game
+0.1 goal assists per game
-0.7 contested possessions per
+0.7 uncontested possessions per game
+0.8 effective disposals
+0.6 clearances per game
+0.4 rebound 50s per game
+1.1 score involvements per game
+86.9 meters gained per game

The only thing Saad did better than Houston was intercepts (+2.2). Houston is two years younger than Saad and only a year older than him when you first picked him up in 2020. And yet you believe this:

In all seriousness though, surely an F1 as the main piece of the deal gets it done.

Why would we accept less than Essendon did for a superior player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will stay but be out of Port 2025 trade window.

No clubs can accomodate Ports demands.

Collingwood don’t have any picks,
Carlton are focussed on Trac and keeping their own players+ picks for draft twins
Saints aren’t prioritising half backs, Richmond rebuilding,
Doggies focussing on a key defender, Geelong delusional thinking they have Baz (who they won’t get) and other mids.
Melbourne a hot mess
North too far down the ladder
Hawks after Perryman if they go for any mid/half back.
Essendon stacked with half backs

Dan knows that he most likely won’t be back in Vic this year at all. He will go next year. Similar things have happened with Dunkley and others. This isn’t a papley mk2 where he can change his mind. He wants to leave and that’s certain.

Based on the above proof above, try and dispute those facts. That’s why I’m proven, I’ll even give you the hypothesis behind my bomba
Richmond and Melbourne can match our demands.
Don't be surprised that Dan ends up at the Dees after all the Petracca hysteria dies down.

My Smokey is Richmond where after their trades will have a plethora of first rounders at their disposal.

Don't be surprised that Dan ends up at the Dees after all the Petracca hysteria dies down.

My Smokey is Richmond where after their trades will have a plethora of first rounders at their disposal.

Given where they're at as a club right now, I'll be absolutely stunned if Richmond are genuinely in the race for a contracted 27 year old of Houston's quality.

I don't disagree that they'll likely have the currency to make it happen, but I can't see them seriously entertaining going down that path.

I'm no Power lover but Saad better than Houston is laughable, give me Houston every time. Dan is right up there as one of the most important players for Port.

Houston may want to return to Vic but he's solidly contracted, Power under no obligation to deal him cheap, and won't.

Houston probably not that desperate that he'd agree to being traded to a club that is unlikely to have success in the next few seasons, it just wouldn't be much fun, reckon it's a contender or stay at Port and look again next year. Richmond, North, Saints, Essendon wouldn't be entertained and Melbourne have had on and off field dramas all season.

A number of clubs also have no way to get a deal done for a solidly contracted player.

No way Melbourne will now give up 2 first rounders for Houston especially pick 7 or Richmond trade out Rioli for pick 5 and then give that for Houston, maybe if they get a pick 10-14 I can see it happening.

No way is he worth 2 first rounders.

We have Dan Houston at home. He's called Nic Newman (who's actually better on paper).

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Dan Houston [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back