Dandenong v Gippsland

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmyjess

Debutant
May 4, 2005
Gippsland
AFL Club
Richmond
I was wondering what comments people had who were at this game on Saturday. I was really surprised at the condition of the ground but was told that a lot of water had been sitting on the surface prior to the game and was sucked up by a super sopper. It was very soft around the insides of the ground yet firm through the middle.

Most of the boys were in the grass-cuts yet I can only recall a couple of genuine slips during the game.

I thought that both teams gave a tremendous account of themselves and the upcoming finals series should be a beauty. I'd like to talk more from the Gippsland "Bottom aged players" perspective so would appreciate someone else giving some detail on Dandenongs performance. I am really impressed with Gippslands ability to finish high up on the ladder with so many young players in the team.

Ricky Delphine racked up 42 possessions and continues to dominate this competition. He took a couple of big hits yet was creative from start to finish. Big heart and big engine.

Jeff Ryan had the job on Nathan Jones and not only negated his effectiveness but was able to provide Gippsland with drive from the possessions he had. Is being given a big task every week and is improving all the time.

Scott Pendlebery was damaging on a wing and stood up well during a tense last quarter. Seems to have the knack of getting the ball out to a target in heavy traffic.

Lachlan Hansen played at CHB all game and limited the effectiveness of Horazcko and Murray who alternated at CHF. Took 13 marks which is a real feature of his game. Plays his best football at CHB. Horazcko on the other hand failed to take a mark for the game.

Beau Vernon (Son of Daryl) played his best game of the year. Consistently drove the ball forward and won the ball on a number of occasions when outnumbered 2 and 3 to one. Youngest player in the team.

Jaymie Youle was part of a very consistent Gippsland backline. Was able to repel many Dandenong thrusts by his clever reading of the ball. Not over endowed with speed but uses then ball well.

Ben Ross has found his niche as a crumbing forward and is contributing at least 2 goals every week.

Xavier Ellis was another key defender, however, appeared to be struggling with leg speed and may still a little sore. Also stood up well under the pressure when Dandenon were charging home in the last quarter.

Tom Johnson, Ben Hughes and Jay Neagle had relatively quiet afternoons and were on and off the bench. Neagle has been disappointing since returning from the Championships, however, as he is a confidence player who only needs one good performance to get him back on track. To be fair the delivery into the 50 hasn't been as good as earlier in the season.

They also have Robert Eddy (AIS/AFL Academy Graduate) to come back into this line-up at some stage.

The future of the Power looks strong.

Jimmyjess said:
I was really surprised at the condition of the ground but was told that a lot of water had been sitting on the surface prior to the game and was sucked up by a super sopper. It was very soft around the insides of the ground yet firm through the middle..
You and me both, most of the grass around the ground was dead. It made Telstra Dome look decent.

Gotta laugh at those bogans who sat behind the goals in their P plate bombs drinking p**s all afternoon. Typical Dandenong ferals.

It was more fun before the game watching about 60 cars drive in and attempt to drive to the other end only to find out their path was blocked. They then reversed and attempted "u" turns with a few almost getting bogged in the process.

I was told that they have been regularly cutting the grass, however, there's very little left to cut. No wonder the water sat on the top.

Noticed that Gippsland's game on Saturday has been transferred to Morwell East. They've got the opposite problem. Plenty of grass, however, it is so tightly thatched that the water is not getting through to the sand and drainage underneath.

Jimmyjess said:
Ricky Delphine racked up 42 possessions and continues to dominate this competition. He took a couple of big hits yet was creative from start to finish. Big heart and big engine.
Can someone plz tell me about this guy. Racks up a ton of possessions and is mentioned a fair bit but is not even mentioned anywhere on footydraft.com. Whats the deal? Also whats his height, kg ect?

Jimmyjess said:
I was wondering what comments people had who were at this game on Saturday. I was really surprised at the condition of the ground but was told that a lot of water had been sitting on the surface prior to the game and was sucked up by a super sopper. It was very soft around the insides of the ground yet firm through the middle.

Most of the boys were in the grass-cuts yet I can only recall a couple of genuine slips during the game.

I thought that both teams gave a tremendous account of themselves and the upcoming finals series should be a beauty. I'd like to talk more from the Gippsland "Bottom aged players" perspective so would appreciate someone else giving some detail on Dandenongs performance. I am really impressed with Gippslands ability to finish high up on the ladder with so many young players in the team.

Jeff Ryan had the job on Nathan Jones and not only negated his effectiveness but was able to provide Gippsland with drive from the possessions he had. Is being given a big task every week and is improving all the time.

Scott Pendlebery was damaging on a wing and stood up well during a tense last quarter. Seems to have the knack of getting the ball out to a target in heavy traffic.

Lachlan Hansen played at CHB all game and limited the effectiveness of Horazcko and Murray who alternated at CHF. Took 13 marks which is a real feature of his game. Plays his best football at CHB. Horazcko on the other hand failed to take a mark for the game.

Beau Vernon (Son of Daryl) played his best game of the year. Consistently drove the ball forward and won the ball on a number of occasions when outnumbered 2 and 3 to one. Youngest player in the team.

Jaymie Youle was part of a very consistent Gippsland backline. Was able to repel many Dandenong thrusts by his clever reading of the ball. Not over endowed with speed but uses then ball well.

Ben Ross has found his niche as a crumbing forward and is contributing at least 2 goals every week.

Xavier Ellis was another key defender, however, appeared to be struggling with leg speed and may still a little sore. Also stood up well under the pressure when Dandenon were charging home in the last quarter.

Tom Johnson, Ben Hughes and Jay Neagle had relatively quiet afternoons and were on and off the bench. Neagle has been disappointing since returning from the Championships, however, as he is a confidence player who only needs one good performance to get him back on track. To be fair the delivery into the 50 hasn't been as good as earlier in the season.

They also have Robert Eddy (AIS/AFL Academy Graduate) to come back into this line-up at some stage.

The future of the Power looks strong.

Excellent wrap up JJ. Just re Ellis - it was his 3rd game in 8 days. I thought he looked tired when he over-ran the ball late in the last quarter and Bentley picked it up and snapped a goal. Overall I thought he had the better of Bentley.

It will be interesting to see what the Bombers do with Neagle. I've seen him play about 10 times this year (including the Champs) and in about 6 games he has hardly had a touch and never looked like getting one. :confused:

Thanks Sezzac. I agree that Ellis had the better of Bentley. Was unaware that he had played with MGS on the Wednesday. Noticed the Power Dr out with him in the last quarter. Appeared to cop a heavy knock in the lower back.

As I said earlier I believe that Neagle is very much a confidence player. Get the ball too him early on the lead and he will get better as the game goes on. If no early touches he really struggles to get into the game. Second efforts are his achilles heel. He needs to work harder if he doesn't win the initial contest.

Wasn't really a good day for the key forwards at Dandenong on Saturday though. Fraser kicked 2 but not one of his best. Was impressed with Goldsack in the ruck assisting West. His spring was excellent and works hard around the ground. Allowed Hansen to play in his best position at CHB.

Sezzac1 said:
and snapped a goal. Overall I thought he had the better of Bentley.

It will be interesting to see what the Bombers do with Neagle. I've seen him play about 10 times this year (including the Champs) and in about 6 games he has hardly had a touch and never looked like getting one. :confused:

Someone on bomberblitz.com said that the essendon recruiting staff wont touch him because they think he's a quote "lazy footballer".

Saw Travis Tuck for the first time in this game and Josh Kennedy for the first time in the APS/AGS game earlier in the week.....

........WE'RE A HAPPY TEAM AT HAWTHORN. :cool:

footyman said:
Gotta laugh at those bogans who sat behind the goals in their P plate bombs drinking p**s all afternoon. Typical Dandenong ferals.

Those "Ferals" would have been the Berwick or Narre Warren boys...Didnt get down that end of the ground, was in the stand all day.

As for the game, Delphine racked up so many possies but (may sound like a fool) didnt look to dominate that much. Great player has the greatest abilty to be drafted but only standing at 169cm, will let him down a little bit.

Jimmyjess, Here are my rundown on afew Stingrays Players

James Magner, He was one of the main reasons that The Rays got back into the game during that last quater.

Brad Sculzo, Had about 15 possies, but all pretty quality possies, by running off his man to get space.

Daniel Nicholls (Was in VIC Metro) Provided plenty of run from the halfback line. Very good Player with the footy smarts and great disposals.

Matt Stanley, Also Provided run from half backline. Gave a few great hits through out the day. Plays like a Gillbee with J.Brown Agression

Sam Gill (Was in VIC Metro), Best On Ground for the rays, Killed Jay Neagle, also provided run from the last line of defence. Took plenty of risks but pulled them off

Greg Bentley (Was in VIC Metro also Rays Captian) Played everywhere (W, HFF, C, FF,) Kicked 2 last quater goals. VERY GOOD, with disposals and great with footy brains.

Sam Carpenter, Absolute Freak, he would have the greatest success story this kid. Having one and a half arms and still being a great player. Provided plenty of aggression at the ball, also got Delphine a little angry every now and then.

Also Nathan Jones was well held but still had 20possies, absolute gun, Just needs to get use to having a close opponent

Good report Jimmyjess.

Delphine, Vernon and Hansen really were standouts I thought.

Delphine - 169cm and 70kg for those asking. 40+ touches - Probably would have got close to 50 if given all the frees he should have - always first to the ball but not always looked after by the umps.

Vernon - Agree best game he has played - lots of pace and got more confident in his ability as the year has gone on. Playing much better off HBF than early in the season was playing as a FP - So quick often gets clear and runs free on the wing.

Hansen - Consistently beat Horaczko and Murray in 1 on 1 duals at CHB. Did benefit from both teams having extra man in defence but to his credit constantly ran off his opponent to create extra option up the ground. Very exciting for next year.

----------------------------------

Guess I'll have to report on the top age guys now to keep things even.

Probably was the experience of a few of these guys that helped Gippsland hold on and save the game. Would have been very disheartening if Dandenong had of stolen the game like last time.

Dunne's goal along with strong marks to O'Bryan and Fraser when outnumbered 2 to 1 in the dying minutes, and then Dore with some excellent 3rd man up ruck work which was beautifully roved by Thomas who snapped a great goal. These leaders stood up when they had to.

Steve O'Bryan A real captain's effort. Was best when it really counted - the first quarter and the last quarter. No fear when backing into a pack to mark - did this about 3 times in the last quarter. Said it before, say it again - best disposal in the team.

Dale Thomas 3 goals(Including the last to finalise the result ) How much of a confidence boost was making All-Australian at the championships? Ever since has been very good. Most damaging when on the ball as can get clearances, and not just a quick kick or handball but weaving through traffic and getting a useful kick deep into the forward line. Has also become more damaging when playing HFF FP getting - was kicking more behinds earlier in the season. Hope to see him get more time onball in the finals.

Brett Dore Usual imposing game with his quota of strong marks. Not as good as in previous weeks but still a strong presence. Think he will play more in the backline if Neagle can get some form back.

Tom Dowd Reliable game in back pocket. Cannot remember a time when he has been beaten for a whole game. Contests so well every contest and able to provide run from the very last line of defence - along with Flint and Youle a big reason why this team has had the best defence all year.

Chris Dunne A Bit quiet compared to previous games, but still managed a couple of goals. Looks better out on wing than in the middle - good at getting into space and can finish in front of goal. Stood up in last quarter.

Craig Flint Overshadowed by Hansen down back on Saturday but played a good game. Was able to run off with Hansen marking all that came his way and provide some good movement forward.

Ben Fraser Again, played FF more than CHF . Kicked 2.1. Like the other forwards had to contend with extra man in defence and not much free flowing play that favours leading forwards. Kicked a good goal from 45 on the boundary.

Tyson Goldsack Used as relief for West in the ruck and got limited game time. Not much of him 190 and 74 but attacks the ball hard and has a decent leap so got a few hitouts. Having him in the team allows Hansen to remain at CHB where he has played his best footy.

Nathan Lieshout Only on the ground when Neagle was off and didn't get much of it. Still valuable to the team because of his versatility - but definitely not a FF/FP.

Trent West I think the season it taking it's toll on West - having had to carry the ruck duties every game with only limited assistance. Really the only genuine ruck on their list which makes it hard. Still got plenty of hitouts just not as effective around the ground as he can be.

Zac Vansittart Started on the bench as he has a few times this year. Still able to have an impact when he came on. Another inside hard at it player - really no passengers on this team.

Hope these guys do well in the finals - really play as a team and you could see from the result on Saturday it means a lot to them - especially those involved in the Prelim from last year.

They look at their best with Neagle at FF, Fraser at CHF, Hansen at CHB and Dore floating around the half back line. If Neagle can get some form back Fraser can go back to CHF and not rotate between CHF and FF as much. And giving Thomas more time in the middle will help too.

And who makes way for Eddy? Has only played 2 games but would think once is over his injury will be back in the team.

prynny_22 said:
Also Nathan Jones was well held but still had 20possies, absolute gun, Just needs to get use to having a close opponent

How well did he do to keep his cool? Guess he is used to the attention Ryan was giving him by now. Very impressed with his game.

Nicholls and Bentley played good too, they just lacked someone to at least give a contest against Hansen in the forward line.

bawkbagawk said:
Good report Jimmyjess.

Delphine, Vernon and Hansen really were standouts I thought.

Delphine - 169cm and 70kg for those asking. 40+ touches - Probably would have got close to 50 if given all the frees he should have - always first to the ball but not always looked after by the umps.

Vernon - Agree best game he has played - lots of pace and got more confident in his ability as the year has gone on. Playing much better off HBF than early in the season was playing as a FP - So quick often gets clear and runs free on the wing.

Hansen - Consistently beat Horaczko and Murray in 1 on 1 duals at CHB. Did benefit from both teams having extra man in defence but to his credit constantly ran off his opponent to create extra option up the ground. Very exciting for next year.

----------------------------------

Guess I'll have to report on the top age guys now to keep things even.

Probably was the experience of a few of these guys that helped Gippsland hold on and save the game. Would have been very disheartening if Dandenong had of stolen the game like last time.

Dunne's goal along with strong marks to O'Bryan and Fraser when outnumbered 2 to 1 in the dying minutes, and then Dore with some excellent 3rd man up ruck work which was beautifully roved by Thomas who snapped a great goal. These leaders stood up when they had to.

Steve O'Bryan A real captain's effort. Was best when it really counted - the first quarter and the last quarter. No fear when backing into a pack to mark - did this about 3 times in the last quarter. Said it before, say it again - best disposal in the team.

Dale Thomas 3 goals(Including the last to finalise the result ) How much of a confidence boost was making All-Australian at the championships? Ever since has been very good. Most damaging when on the ball as can get clearances, and not just a quick kick or handball but weaving through traffic and getting a useful kick deep into the forward line. Has also become more damaging when playing HFF FP getting - was kicking more behinds earlier in the season. Hope to see him get more time onball in the finals.

Brett Dore Usual imposing game with his quota of strong marks. Not as good as in previous weeks but still a strong presence. Think he will play more in the backline if Neagle can get some form back.

Tom Dowd Reliable game in back pocket. Cannot remember a time when he has been beaten for a whole game. Contests so well every contest and able to provide run from the very last line of defence - along with Flint and Youle a big reason why this team has had the best defence all year.

Chris Dunne A Bit quiet compared to previous games, but still managed a couple of goals. Looks better out on wing than in the middle - good at getting into space and can finish in front of goal. Stood up in last quarter.

Craig Flint Overshadowed by Hansen down back on Saturday but played a good game. Was able to run off with Hansen marking all that came his way and provide some good movement forward.

Ben Fraser Again, played FF more than CHF . Kicked 2.1. Like the other forwards had to contend with extra man in defence and not much free flowing play that favours leading forwards. Kicked a good goal from 45 on the boundary.

Tyson Goldsack Used as relief for West in the ruck and got limited game time. Not much of him 190 and 74 but attacks the ball hard and has a decent leap so got a few hitouts. Having him in the team allows Hansen to remain at CHB where he has played his best footy.

Nathan Lieshout Only on the ground when Neagle was off and didn't get much of it. Still valuable to the team because of his versatility - but definitely not a FF/FP.

Trent West I think the season it taking it's toll on West - having had to carry the ruck duties every game with only limited assistance. Really the only genuine ruck on their list which makes it hard. Still got plenty of hitouts just not as effective around the ground as he can be.

Zac Vansittart Started on the bench as he has a few times this year. Still able to have an impact when he came on. Another inside hard at it player - really no passengers on this team.

Hope these guys do well in the finals - really play as a team and you could see from the result on Saturday it means a lot to them - especially those involved in the Prelim from last year.

They look at their best with Neagle at FF, Fraser at CHF, Hansen at CHB and Dore floating around the half back line. If Neagle can get some form back Fraser can go back to CHF and not rotate between CHF and FF as much. And giving Thomas more time in the middle will help too.

And who makes way for Eddy? Has only played 2 games but would think once is over his injury will be back in the team.

Just like JJ, BB that was a great wrap up. I didn't need to make notes - I could have read it all here. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Xav Ellis appeared to injure his hand/fingers early in the fourth which made it hard to handle the ball. For someone with such a light build he isn't afraid to sacrifice his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dandenong v Gippsland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back