Player Watch Dane Swan (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

My view is that Swan could be an effective forward, but he is too focussed on being a mid and around the ball that his effort levels and attitude often appears to drop away when he goes down there. Specifically remember him looking around at his team mates shrugging his shoulders saying I don't know what I'm doing here, when sent forward in the second half against Port over there in 2013. Undermines the coach and the team.

He did kick three that game though

Yes. I read that too. And that would indeed translate in to 40-50 with a .5 accuracy. That ploy doesn't last whole season. Opposition will try to stop him after a few games. It will create opportunities for others. Overall we will score more with him in the fwd line. I am as thrilled by that prospect as anyone but more sceptical about its individual rewards for Swanny.

40 goals last season (or the one before) would have seen a player win Collingwood's leading goalkicker.

50 would have seen a player in the top 10 for the Coleman.

I cant see Swanny playing forward and not kicking at least a couple every game... and then having a few blinders.

He'll kick a bag on Anzac day this year!

40 goals last season (or the one before) would have seen a player win Collingwood's leading goalkicker.

I cant see Swanny playing forward and not kicking at least a couple every game... and then having a few blinders.

Do you remember 2014?

The bit where he spent most of his time forward but kicked less then one goal a game.
Are you seriously going to use a year where he was heavily hampered by injury as an example?

40 goals a year to be leading goalkicker says more about the impact that our fwd line had.
50 goals. if we take an ageing midfielder and put in him up fwd and outscores the fwd line by almost 50% then questions need to be asked of certain individuals in that fwd line.

Are you seriously going to use a year where he was heavily hampered by injury as an example?

Are you seriously asking a question if something's going happen when it has already happened?

Are you seriously asking a question if something's going happen when it has already happened?
Restructure your sentence so it makes sense and then I'll answer you.

My view is that Swan could be an effective forward, but he is too focussed on being a mid and around the ball that his effort levels and attitude often appears to drop away when he goes down there. Specifically remember him looking around at his team mates shrugging his shoulders saying I don't know what I'm doing here, when sent forward in the second half against Port over there in 2013. Undermines the coach and the team.
Eh?
When has he ever undermined anyone let alone the coach, team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit where he spent most of his time forward but kicked less then one goal a game.
40 goals a year to be leading goalkicker says more about the impact that our fwd line had.
50 goals. if we take an ageing midfielder and put in him up fwd and outscores the fwd line by almost 50% then questions need to be asked of certain individuals in that fwd line.

Cloke, White, Elliott, Fasolo... Questions have been being asked for a long time. All have underperformed.

In 2014 we didn't have a mature Adams, Greenwood, Treloar, De Goey and Aish rotating through our midfield. I agree that Swanny didn't perform up front, cause put quite simply we weren't winning the ball in the centre as he would have... he didn't like it. He didn't perform up forward, So Bucks through him back on the ball when he was fit enough. Swan did not spend "MOST" of his time up forward.

But the writing has been on the wall for Swan before recruiting Treloar. Derek Hine brought up Swan playing alot more forward on the trade wrap. Swan has been aware since pre-season that that is the plan... he has bought into it. He is now prepared to kick and hunt goals. Notice in the training video on BF where Swan lines up for the small intra club hit out. Right next to Clokie... With a smile from ear to ear.

2014 is no example for what Swan will produce in 2016 up forward. He was hampered with injury and still could perform better in the centre than who we had in there. Now we have the cattle to win the ball in the centre and move it forward for Swannie to get fat on Sausage Rolls!

Cloke, White, Elliott, Fasolo... Questions have been being asked for a long time. All have underperformed.

In 2014 we didn't have a mature Adams, Greenwood, Treloar, De Goey and Aish rotating through our midfield. I agree that Swanny didn't perform up front, cause put quite simply we weren't winning the ball in the centre as he would have... he didn't like it. He didn't perform up forward, So Bucks through him back on the ball when he was fit. Swan did not spend "MOST" of his time up forward.

But the writing has been on the wall for Swan before recruiting Treloar. Derek Hine brought up Swan playing alot more forward on the trade wrap. Swan has been aware since pre-season that that is the plan... he has bought into it. He is now prepared to kick and hunt goals. Notice in the training video on BF where Swan lines up for the small intra club hit out. Right next to Clokie... With a smile from ear to ear.

2014 is no example for what Swan will produce in 2016 up forward. He was hampered with injury and still could perform better in the centre than who we had in there. Now we have the cattle to win the ball in the centre and move it forward for Swannie to get fat on Sausage Rolls!

That same argument I've highlighted applies to to the four you've questioned. Only Adams spent significant time through the midfield last year.

And Swan did spend "MOST" of his time up forward in 2014.

I agree Swan should spend more time up forward to let other like De Goey, Treloar etc. to have time their but he should still play the majority of 2016 as a midfielder.

I believe Swan could be a 50 goal forward. He's good over head, I decent set shot and is incredibly football smart he could easily average over 2 goals a game on a permanent basis.

My only issue with Swan forward is he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body, so when heath Shaw, Hill, burchall/Burgoyne roll up on him they could be in for a field day and it'll affect us.

Thankfully we should find out about this in round 1 when jarred mcveigh rolls over to swannie at the opening bounce

Amidst all of this. We are 1 or 2 year away from our alleged premiership window. Swan is about 1 or 2 yr away from retirement. Experimenting with a new fwd line setup during a supposed premiership ship year does seem a bit odd.
Swan will spend time forward but shouldn't be as important as people will make it out to be for the sake of continuity.

Amidst all of this. We are 1 or 2 year away from our alleged premiership window. Swan is about 1 or 2 yr away from retirement. Experimenting with a new fwd line setup during a supposed premiership ship year does seem a bit odd.
Swan will spend time forward but shouldn't be as important as people will make it out to be for the sake of continuity.

Winning is the best thing for continuity. And if Swan is a foal point that converts goals and helps us win games then he most definitely should be as important as we want to make him out to be. Winning games of football and having everyone wearing Black and White winning games of football builds a winning culture.

In 2013 the Hawks won the Flag with Franklin as their focal point...

In 2014 and 2015 the won the Flag with him at another club.

Winning is the best thing for continuity. And if Swan is a foal point that converts goals and helps us win games then he most definitely should be as important as we want to make him out to be. Winning games of football and having everyone wearing Black and White winning games of football builds a winning culture.

In 2013 the Hawks won the Flag with Franklin as their focal point...

In 2014 and 2015 the won the Flag with him at another club.
Actually Franklin was the second banana that year, Roughead was their focal point.

It will all come down to how willing Swan is to embrace this change to his role.

It should certainly prolong his career if it proves a success and the lure of a couple more seasons earning some decent coin and the chance at another flag might be incentive enough for Swan to get enthused about the opportunity.

I still think Swan will play predominantly mid this year because he is still an elite mid and you don't not use that. Bucks said he will play more up forward not that he will play majority of time forward. I was lucky enough to go to a players breakfast in 2015 via BF sponsorship, sat with Adams and Swanny. I asked Swanny about more time up forward and he didn't mince words saying he didn't want to do it, he got bored doing it, he was a mid and that's where he plays. I know he has to toe the line but his attitude I believe is very much a mid.

Other point is with Howe, Elliott, Fasolo, Blair and Caff also looking at lots of forward time when they are in the team I don't see a lot of time for Swanny there. He will have stints, more than previously, but I still reckon his dominant possie will be midfield.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Dane Swan (Retired 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back