News Dane Swan signs for 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid is contracted until the end of season 2012.

If his form and rise continues, he will be offered a very healthy pay rise. He will remain a magpie too IMO. Brown and Reid are the twin towers of defence for the next decade.

Isn't This N Brown last year on his Contract?

Isn't This N Brown last year on his Contract?

Correct.

However, I daresay, his season ending knee injury whilst cruel actually makes it a little easier for us to re-sign him. Not that he was going to leave anyway but he won't be targeted as hard by others. He will most certainly get a pay rise from us, after all, he is now a premiership FB and his end of season form, particularly his finals series was tremendous but his increase in salary won't be a really significant one.

Nonetheless there is nothing to worry about. I'm certain our main core of talented superstars and talented youngsters will remain at the club for a very long time. Also, our list management in regards to salary cap is top notch too with Ball's salary reducing after this season, Tarrant, Didak and Swan eligible for veteran's status, Davis' contract to be reduced after this season (signed a 2yr deal after his AA yr at the end of 2009) and the recent departures of Medhurst (who signed a pretty decent deal after his 2008 AA yr that expired at end of last season), Lockyer, Fraser, O'Bree and Anthony. I mean, we re-signed Swanny to a 3yr deal where his new salary will be about 100k more per yr than he was currently getting. For a player of his quality, this is massive unders. No doubt, $$$$ is the price players have to pay in order for sustained success but he really is a team player is Swanny.

If we are going to lose someone, it will be players on the fringes similar to Geelong i.e. your Prismall's, Laidler's, Djekurra's etc. Won't be your Beams', Sidebottom's, Reid's, Dawes', Wellingham's etc.

If we are going to lose someone, it will be players on the fringes similar to Geelong i.e. your Prismall's, Laidler's, Djekurra's etc. Won't be your Beams', Sidebottom's, Reid's, Dawes', Wellingham's etc.
Agreed

I am willing to give them Cameron Wood and Scott Reed :thumbsu:

Phewwww!
*breaths sigh of relief*

Now for Daisy to sign on.

I don't want to lose any of the trio but if we had to lose 1, I would have opted to lose (in this order) Swanny, Pendles then Daisy.

So it's imperative for me that Daisy signs on.

Three brownlow votes to Dane for staying. He was probably the least likely to go out of the three, considering his age and his past history with the Pies, but it's still great to see him onboard.

I can make great cases for Dale and Scott to remain with us, but I can also see a couple of million reasons why they might go. I stopped saying my prayers as a 5 year old. I might take them up again...

I would have had Swan the likeliest to leave due to the reasons you mentioned because it would have been a good chance for him to have one last HUGE contract.

The other two I'm not too worried about.

Phewwww!
*breaths sigh of relief*

Now for Daisy to sign on.

I don't want to lose any of the trio but if we had to lose 1, I would have opted to lose (in this order) Swanny, Pendles then Daisy.

So it's imperative for me that Daisy signs on.

I'd be less shattered if we lost Daisy, Pendles is just head and shoulders better than Dale and he's a future leader of the club. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be devastated but I will die a little inside if Scotty goes. What pisses me off the MOST about this whole contract bullshit is that I want #10 on my new jumper, but I don't want to get it on in case the unthinkable happens :(

I'd be less shattered if we lost Daisy, Pendles is just head and shoulders better than Dale and he's a future leader of the club. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be devastated but I will die a little inside if Scotty goes.

I think Pendles used to be head and shoulders above Daisy, not as sure now.

Think Daisy progressed his game even more than Pendles last year and significantly narrowed the gap IMHO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Daisy progressed his game even more than Pendles last year and significantly narrowed the gap IMHO
Yes Daisy narrowed the gap however he doesn't have and never will have the poise that Pendles has. Don't get me wrong here I love Daisy and reckon he's a star in the comp but some peeps are born with that x factor and Pendles has it.

I'd be less shattered if we lost Daisy, Pendles is just head and shoulders better than Dale and he's a future leader of the club. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be devastated but I will die a little inside if Scotty goes. What pisses me off the MOST about this whole contract bullshit is that I want #10 on my new jumper, but I don't want to get it on in case the unthinkable happens :(

Yes Daisy narrowed the gap however he doesn't have and never will have the poise that Pendles has. Don't get me wrong here I love Daisy and reckon he's a star in the comp but some peeps are born with that x factor and Pendles has it.

im with swoop here. ive been a fan of pendles since that game in sydney years ago - showed amazing awareness that night for a kid and i understood why they used pick 5 on a 'basketballer'. daisy has taken longer to move away from just a flashy forward and become more than important, and now vital. the two cant be compared, as they have different game styles, but daisys importance to our game, especially the current style of play, IMO brings him equal to pendles and may see him move past as soon as this year.

just need to ensure his hunger for the ball doesnt see him suffer serious injury.

and yes a hearty congrats and thanks to mr swan. has proved team can be more important than a vastly bigger bank account.

Have to agree on daisy hurling his slight frame at the ball regardless - it does the heart good to see such commitment at the ball but he does put my heart in my mouth sometimes with his reckless courage and light frame.

In regard to the Pendles vs. Thomas debate - I'd probably liken it to comparing Ablett and Didak, where Pendlebury is the Ablett and Thomas is the Didak.

I can see Pendlebury becoming the number 1 player in the game, whereas Thomas will be like Didak. Thomas will be in the bracket of top 6-15, but never quite make it as the best or one of the best 3 players.

I think all arguments above are valid and each to their own, but I'd lean more towards Jonbe in saying that Thomas will just never reach the extremely dizzying heights of Pendlebury, albeit reaching dizzying heights himself.

Imagine if you could mould Thomas and Pendles together... mmmm

Imagine if you could mould Thomas and Pendles together... mmmm
Different attributes and better in two separate players. Measured over their careers I suspect there won't be a lot splitting them. Norm Smith is generally arguable but if Pendlebury wasn't BOG he wasn't much behind whoever was. Thomas was our best over the 2 GF's by a margin IMO.

Leave the dash and kamikaze to Thomas and the poise and vision to Pendlebury. I used to think Pendlebury needed more pace to be elite but that isn't the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dane Swan signs for 3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back