Dane Swan v Brent Stanton

Which player would you choose for a tilt at the flag?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necromancer Beth

Turn On The Bright Lights
Mar 17, 2012
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Both elite endurance athletes, both ball magnets. If you were in your premiership window and you could have one of these guys for one season, who would it be?

Swan and its not even close tbh, Stanton is a great player but needs to show this type of form for the whole season, Swan is proven.

Swan has been better for longer, however is 2 years older. Would go Swan if a team was at the peak of it's premiership challenge, but in Essendon's current position I wouldn't approve of a trade.

Nailed it for me.

Swan has been better over the haul, and is a proven star.

Stanton has been at it for about fifteen games.

You wouldn't trade him if you were Essendon; but no one would say he was better ATM.

Stanton has take a step up this year and has been playing at an elite level for 8 weeks.

Swan has been doing it for 3+ years.

You'd go for Swan at the moment because he has been consistently elite for a far longer period.

Stanton has take a step up this year and has been playing at an elite level for 8 weeks.

Swan has been doing it for 3+ years.

You'd go for Swan at the moment because he has been consistently elite for a far longer period.

no disrespect but how long have you actually been watching footy?

Swan has been brilliant for well over 7 years now. Wasn't until Collingwood began getting noticed mainly impart to the game style which really accommodated Swan's brilliant burst style of play that people began taking notice of him.

He's like a much more brilliant version of James Kelly or Scott Thompson, were underrated for many years before getting the kudos their football deserved.

Find a lot of these polls bewildering and perhaps there are more teenagers on here than I first thought.
(easy to forget as time goes by I guess)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, so there are some Essendon supporters who think that Essendon wouldn't do a Swan for Stanton trade, is this correct?

Stanton is probably the best endurance runner in the league, but he is a completely outside player and can be shut down with an elite endurance runner like Marty Clarke. Marty Clarke wouldn't have a hope in hell of stopping Dane Swan.

I don't think many essendon supporters would trade Stanton for Swan. No doubt Swan is the better footballer but Stanton is the form player of the comp and will likely play 150+ more games for essendon. Not to mention the risk of messing with what is at the moment a very good team balance.

Ps have you actually watched Stanton more than once or twice over the last two years coz he is no longer just an outside player.

The guy has given everything to Essendon, that's why we wouldn't trade him, you wouldn't trade somebody like that.

Ok, ok. No worries, so its more about his efforts for the club than believing he is a better player, thats understandable. I would have Stanton in the AA team at the moment this year, but I can promise you as the games get bigger and if the Bombers remain at the top, Stanton will not be allowed to run around and pick up 30+ touches with the ease he is at the moment. I am open to a player improving a lot, and if he does continue this rich form then I will understand where you are coming from.
But I don't believe Stanton has suddenly become an inside/outside player this year, he is still predominantly outside. And players like this can be shutdown.

I rate Watson as a far superior player and clearly your most important midfielder. In fact Watson is one of my favorite players in the comp. Love what he does without the athleticism of others.

Ok, ok. No worries, so its more about his efforts for the club than believing he is a better player, thats understandable. I would have Stanton in the AA team at the moment this year, but I can promise you as the games get bigger and if the Bombers remain at the top, Stanton will not be allowed to run around and pick up 30+ touches with the ease he is at the moment.

Allowed? Nobody is 'allowed' to do anything in AFL, he's getting his touches because he is earning them through elite running, finding space, taking marks and confidence in his team mates.

He isn't getting permission from the other sides to do it.

If that shit was easy everyone would be doing it.

I am open to a player improving a lot, and if he does continue this rich form then I will understand where you are coming from.
But I don't believe Stanton has suddenly become an inside/outside player this year, he is still predominantly outside. And players like this can be shutdown.

EVERY player can be shut down. Achieving it is an entirely different concept. He's played 8 games this year, had one poor game, two average ones and five brilliant games.

What is it with some Pies fans, who think they stumbled on to some brilliant concept with Clarke's role on Stanton? He had a poor game, partially through his own efforts and partially through the efforts of his opponent.

Did you know that hard running midfields blunt Swan's influence, because without space to pass in to he becomes largely inefficient? Well it happened once, so it must be the gospel truth!

I rate Watson as a far superior player and clearly your most important midfielder. In fact Watson is one of my favorite players in the comp. Love what he does without the athleticism of others.

Athleticism? Word on the street says he's one of the fittest players at the club (coincidentally behind Stanton who holds this in universal regard). He is also is quite well regarded in playing a key forward position, because of his unusual height for a midfielder and marking capacity. He doesn't play there often of course, because of his elite midfielder status. He does still manage to find himself near the top of the list as far as mpg goes for midfielders. You know, because he runs into space and/or outmarks the far more athletically gifted players around him.

Now, if it seems that I'm having a slight crack at you, I probably am.

You've come in to this thread and thrown out an absolute fishing line with your, "wait, Essendon fans wouldn't trade Stanton for Swan?" comment - despite the fact that essentially every Essendon fan on this thread acknowledged Swan's superiority as a player over the journey.

You coupled that with some ramblings on how Stanton is allowed to roam free and how he'll be stopped because players like him can be shut down.

Mate, I would wager that you don't have a great deal of insight on the game aside from looking at the scoreboard and understanding whether your team won or lost. I know a sheep when I see one, regurgitating the same crap that the rest of the bleating masses spit out. The type that likes to rag on about how the guys and girls in the media have no idea, but pours over every word in the paper looking for references or stories about his own side.

Here, I'll save you the trouble - here's another couple you can run with when you want to chat about Essendon next time:

"Watson can't kick"

"Stanton can't handle a tag"

"Fletcher doesn't take the best defender"

"Essendon lacks A-class stars"

"Bomber is the one doing the coaching"

"Ryder is lazy"

There you go, fill up on a few of those and you'll be set to 'BE AWESOME' in the next thread. :thumbsu:

Swan easily, agree with footscore's thoughts on Swan performing at a high level for 7 years at least.

As for Stanton, I don't blame Essendon fans for not wanting a trade, why would you? Put it this way, if we had a poll on Sidebottom v Joel Selwood, Selwould (see what I did there? ;) ) probably get a similar lopsided result, yet would we make the trade? HELL no!

It's all about perception and the 'love' of our respective club and players. Perfectly reasonable and understandable.

Stanton is a good player, Swan is a great player. Watson is easily Essendons best IMO, however if Stanton keeps it up this year and the next, he will probably be level..perhaps even ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back