Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A team pursued a player but was unable to get the deal done... that's definitely a loss. I'm not spinning or creating that narrative, it's just the singular fact of trading that if you can't get your desired deal done you have failed.

This could also reflect on Geelong, who were looking to trade TK out for a certain price - failed to achieve that goal. In part a recognition of how difficult/unlikely it will be to retain him in the long term.

It will be interesting to see how satisfied with their list the Eagles look in next year's trade period if either Kelly or even Coniglio are available. I think you'll find that your list management is much more willing to add really good players than you think they are.

Coniglio is certainly in play.
Where the Eagles are now has moved on from the decision not to pay the price required for Tim, no news there, speculate all you/we like .... no different to the Cats, both will lose the likes of Taylor & Kennedy in the immediate future, and the Cats honour roll midfield are ageing.
Not wanting to put a fork into the premiership list to trade is a dynamic decision at the time, of course it will change, most of the kids debuted in 2018 wont make it to 100 games, thats the stats.
Kelly may be worth more at 2019s end & the Eagles pay more, its the business of footy, regardless of how it effects you. you will make it a win somehow.

Also bare in mind that for Freo to improve they only need to do better 13th. With a fit Fyfe and an actual forward line it's a low bar

I'm a fan of Ross (the boss), Freo are on the way up in 2019, knock on the door of the 8, 10+ wins. Belly is good value, getting it back together off field.
Kel would be a good get for the Dockers.

Going by Caitlin’s instagram, Tim & his family are having a fabulous time in Geelong at the moment.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If anyone is capable of absorbing and learning and withholding ..then then filtering should be engaged far more this year. Its natural to have gripes..we all have them but the platform that social media gives everyone tongue is not great for calming the waters.I also hope Geelong double and triple the normal level oil they use to lub the wheels.

Its best for all if its a library on the off field front for the season proper.

I'm a fan of Ross (the boss), Freo are on the way up in 2019, knock on the door of the 8, 10+ wins. Belly is good value, getting it back together off field.
Kel would be a good get for the Dockers.

The reality is Freo have more of a need for Kelly than WCE (when you look at their midfield compared to yours) more cap space and better picks. You have no reason to trade aggressively for him because he's a want not a need whereas Freo who's coach is under pressure to deliver. It's why I expect a lot of the year his manager will be working on cooling his partner's opposition to Freo as the reality is if he picks Freo the deal will be done quickly if he picks WCE it will drag out bc you dont have the picks needed (same as last year) to get it done and its hard to push players onto the trade table when you are a top 4 side. And Kelly cant risk it all falling over and him ending up somewhere thats not Geelong or WA in the draft. Which is why as much as he might want WCE he can't trust them too much this time.

Last edited:
Surely they can't fit Coniglio in the cap at west coast? Gaff and McGovern on large contracts not to mention the rest of the premiership side

I assume theyd retire Jetta and Masten to try to make room but still Freo have way more cap space.

The reality is Freo have more of a need for Kelly than WCE (when you look at their midfield compared to yours) more cap space and better picks. You have no reason to trade aggressively for him Freo who's coach is under pressure to deliver. It's why I expect a lot of the year his manager will be working on cooling his partner's opposition to Freo as the reality is if he picks Freo the deal will be done quickly if he picks WCE it will drag out bc you dont have the picks needed (same as last year) to get it done and its hard to push players onto the trade table when you are a top 4 side. And Kelly cant risk it all falling over and him ending up somewhere thats not Geelong or WA in the draft. Which is why as much as he might want WCE he can't trust them too much this time.

Good post Pure

It may be difficult if he is rfa ... how much cap room would they have.

I think GWS will match more than people think. Lobb would always have gone back to WA eventually but them pushing Scully and Shiel out was about building cap space to keep Coniglio.

I think GWS will match more than people think. Lobb would always have gone back to WA eventually but them pushing Scully and Shiel out was about building cap space to keep Coniglio.

Apparently they have already offered short and long term deals to Kelly and Coniglio.. what ever they want.
As far as WC cap... I cant see them offering or having the space to offer a haymaker which gets them RFA.. but Rich could so who really knows. There is a difference coming from Suns than GWS ..low single figure pick compared to high teens as comp.

The reality is Freo have more of a need for Kelly than WCE (when you look at their midfield compared to yours) more cap space and better picks. You have no reason to trade aggressively for him because he's a want not a need whereas Freo who's coach is under pressure to deliver. It's why I expect a lot of the year his manager will be working on cooling his partner's opposition to Freo as the reality is if he picks Freo the deal will be done quickly if he picks WCE it will drag out bc you dont have the picks needed (same as last year) to get it done and its hard to push players onto the trade table when you are a top 4 side. And Kelly cant risk it all falling over and him ending up somewhere thats not Geelong or WA in the draft. Which is why as much as he might want WCE he can't trust them too much this time.

Are you suggesting the Eagles said they'd pick Kelly before Liam Ryan ...... not my understanding.

& its better for the game if Coniglio plays out his days at GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

53392924_1247507808758360_9216595038023188480_n.jpg

Are you suggesting the Eagles said they'd pick Kelly before Liam Ryan ...... not my understanding.

No not at all. In any case the eagles had 2 picks (Brander and Allen) before either Kelly or Ryan were taken so they could have taken Kelly if they really wanted him. But i wasnt even suggesting that i was only suggesting that right now Kelly is a luxury not a need for you and Freo have more of a need to trade for him in 2019 and more pieces to get the deal done than your club. I wasnt referencing his draft year.

Apparently they have already offered short and long term deals to Kelly and Coniglio.. what ever they want.
As far as WC cap... I cant see them offering or having the space to offer a haymaker which gets them RFA.. but Rich could so who really knows. There is a difference coming from Suns than GWS ..low single figure pick compared to high teens as comp.

I agree where the compo pick influences whether yo match thats why the Suns didn't match Lynch...big difference between p3 and p17. I also think GWS really want Coniglio for leadership he's a future captain whereas some of the guys they traded aren't at the same leadership level.

If his partner really wants to go home they don't have many options.
They have turned that chance down once,they and their dopey manager are doing now what they should have done 12 months ago,WC will call their bluff and go with unders for Kelly,Geelong could yet finish in the box seat.

They have turned that chance down once,they and their dopey manager are doing now what they should have done 12 months ago,WC will call their bluff and go with unders for Kelly,Geelong could yet finish in the box seat.
Fair chance they could already be back in freo if they didnt go with that boneheaded wce only strategy. No doubt pushed on them but their wce fanboi manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back