Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So which part of intellectual property are we dealing with then ?

Is Tim Kelly intellectual property to Geelong because we drafted him trained him now we want to own the results for longer 3-4 years. Or because this scenario suits geelong with Tim Kelly.

That's what a draft is the players have no choice of destination. They are the rules when you enter the draft you sign and fulfil that contract. Do you think a lot of those draftees wanted to get shipped of to gws or goldcoast. Imagine if gws worked under intellectual property.

Then after that players like any normal person in a business model gets to decide what they do with future employment. Don't forget this is a job a livelihood a career. Player welfare is very important in the modern game it's a new age.

Where you start your working career at the very beginning for around 90% of people isn't exactly where you want to end it. It's just the first step in a short career path in your life.

Players should be able to choose it not everything is going to work like joel Corey, harry Taylor, mitch Duncan & so on every now and then they backfire that's the risk you take bringing guys over with a young family who was widely tipped to go to west coast in the next few picks.

Intellectual property was just a term I used to convey what I was trying to say. Don't get too hung up on it.

I agree with what you say in general.

But in this instance either the GFC didn't ask enough questions, have severely misjudged the situation...... or Tim was deliberately vague about the fact he would bolt for the door at the earliest opportunity.

Intellectual property was just a term I used to convey what I was trying to say. Don't get too hung up on it.

But in this instance either the GFC didn't ask enough questions, have severely misjudged the situation...... or Tim was deliberately vague about the fact he would bolt for the door at the earliest opportunity.

Had Tim ever left Perth before, how 'bout his wife?

I'd reckon Kelly just grabbed the opportunity, cant blame him .... the Cats are getting 2 years out of him on poverty pack dollars (is that true about the dollars, its the impression I've got).

I'd reckon Kelly just grabbed the opportunity, cant blame him .... the Cats are getting 2 years out of him on poverty pack dollars (is that true about the dollars, its the impression I've got).

Yes, he grabbed the opportunity, because no-one else offered it. Can't blame him there.

But he would've been more than aware that either he or his wife, perhaps both, would more than struggle with the re-location.

So either the GFC ignored his warning, or he didn't give one.

All in honestly how sh!t really is it. The club chooses to draft a player then by the end of 1 year they ask for a trade... If a player doesn't want to move interstate then don't nominate for the draft as the chance of getting picked up interstate is a good chance.. there was about 4 or 5 people liked my comment so which I think they agree in what I'm saying... What's the point of free trade if a player can still move to where they want to go... I do like free trade as the players who nominate it have earned their place to ask where they want to go... But a player after 1 or 2 years of playing AFL ask for a trade really sh!TS me...
Turbocat ( sorry I didn't quote your message so I'll just tag you in it so you know I replied to it )

All in honestly how sh!t really is it. The club chooses to draft a player then by the end of 1 year they ask for a trade... If a player doesn't want to move interstate then don't nominate for the draft as the chance of getting picked up interstate is a good chance.. there was about 4 or 5 people liked my comment so which I think they agree in what I'm saying... What's the point of free trade if a player can still move to where they want to go... I do like free trade as the players who nominate it have earned their place to ask where they want to go... But a player after 1 or 2 years of playing AFL ask for a trade really sh!TS me...
Turbocat ( sorry I didn't quote your message so I'll just tag you in it so you know I replied to it )
I'm still cut about Wade joining North under the 10 year rule.

To be fair i dont think Tim was vague but his partner may have been. All indications are Tim is very happy in Geelong.

Geelong got a good deal to be sure.

To be fair Tim and his partner cant have been as deaperate to get the kids home as some think or they would have taken the Freo deal last year (and im walking the talk on this one because I have an autistic child at home and i made exactly the same call to change jobs on less money and move somewhere i didnt really imagine i would because it was best for the childs care arrangements..it was a call the Kellys could have made last year re Freo if they needed to get home that desperately). Im not knocking WCE btw for all we know they spent all trade week trying to get a better pick and couldnt and tried to convince their players to be traded and they all said no.

To be fair i dont think Tim was vague but his partner may have been. All indications are Tim is very happy in Geelong.

Yeah, I can see how Tom has excitedly put pen to paper, then had the screws slowly but steadily turned on him since.

Someone has been less than honest in the transaction.

Geelong got a good deal to be sure.

To be fair Tim and his partner cant have been as deaperate to get the kids home as some think or they would have taken the Freo deal last year (and im walking the talk on this one because I have an autistic child at home and i made exactly the same call to change jobs on less money and move somewhere i didnt really imagine i would because it was best for the childs care arrangements..it was a call the Kellys could have made last year re Freo if they needed to get home that desperately). Im not knocking WCE btw for all we know they spend all trade week trying to get a better pick and couldnt and tried to convince their players to be traded and they all said no.

If their desperate desire to return to WA was purely driven by family considerations then the destination club wouldn't have mattered.

But it did. In fact, family played second fiddle to the suitor.

If their desperate desire to return to WA was purely driven by family considerations then the destination club wouldn't have mattered.

I agree i think if it is in private the way his manager let it look in public thats the only logical conclusion to draw based on those facts.

I agree i think if it is in private the way his manager let it look in public thats the only logical conclusion to draw based on those facts.

His manager did a poor job, but given what's probably happened behind the scenes he was likely on a hiding to nothing no matter how good he was, or how much spin he put on it.

His manager did a poor job, but given what's probably happened behind the scenes he was likely on a hiding to nothing no matter how good he was, or how much spin he put on it.

Perhaps.

He certainly opted for the hiding rather than nothing, though.

I thought he handled it abysmally. And if in fact 'all is forgiven/forgotten at Freo' (as has been suggested in the media recently), he should consider himself incredibly blessed. For an adult supposedly experienced in how to manage/present deals without causing unnecessary offence, I seriously suspect that my 12-year-old son could have done a better job than he did.

Saying that, I'm being unreasonably harsh on my son.

Yeah, I can see how Tom has excitedly put pen to paper, then had the screws slowly but steadily turned on him since.

Someone has been less than honest in the transaction.

Less than honest or 100% honest after living away from home .... my wife could not abide Adelaide, not had a problem in Melbourne or Sydney, Brisbane was too humid - pregnant/new born in Adelaide & Brisbane was definitely a factor. easy for me loved the jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Less than honest or 100% honest after living away from home .... my wife could not abide Adelaide, not had a problem in Melbourne or Sydney, Brisbane was too humid - pregnant/new born in Adelaide & Brisbane was definitely a factor. easy for me loved the jobs.

Hear you, but still suspect 'less than honest'

I posted this before but here goes:
Kelly is a Freo boy (juniors/WAFL), whatever the problem the Cats bought it, they didnt put a Freo deal on the table, did they.
Seems it is no longer a problem after Peter Bell became footy manager.

Reality is the two clubs couldnt get the deal done.

I posted this before but here goes:
Kelly is a Freo boy (juniors/WAFL), whatever the problem the Cats bought it, they didnt put a Freo deal on the table, did they.
Seems it is no longer a problem after Peter Bell became footy manager.

Reality is the two clubs couldnt get the deal done.

Who didn't put a Freo deal on the table?

And what was the point in doing so when the Kelly's flatly refused to even consider such a deal?

Who didn't put a Freo deal on the table?

And what was the point in doing so when the Kelly's flatly refused to even consider such a deal?

OR the Cats accepted his reasons, are you saying they wouldnt/didnt ask.

The Cats could have done a deal with Freo & put it to Kelly. Thats how clubs deal, both ways in or out. The Cats are far more professional than you believe.

Any which way, its not the case of one party right/the other party wrong, be it the Kellys or the footy clubs.

Last edited:
A year is a long time in footy,2020 could be a windfall for the Kelly gang,for a minute lets just say the family are starting to settle into an exceptable routine and the kids are getting all the help they require in Geelong for now,Tims has had another good season and thinks I can be best 22 here for the next 4 or 5 years no worries, and there's an offer on the table for 4 years at say roughly $600k a season with an option of another 1 or 2 at the end.

Now things change,600k a year gets you all the help you want plenty of trips back home to the West.Opens up the possibility of paying a family member to come over and nanny the kids on a wage that will possibly give them a little tax relief as well as some time to them selves,sounds pretty enticing.
He would then have to weigh up the WC offer as well as forecast whether or not he's in such a strong position best 22 for the Eagles both 2020 and beyond.

The Cats could have done a deal with Freo & put it to Kelly.

Any which way, its not the case of one party right/the other party wrong, be it the Kellys or the footy clubs.

A deal with Freo was NOT possible. It was made clear that any deal was to be done with WC, and no-one else.

I expect the GFC did ask re: home factor, and either took a risk despite being clearly told it wouldn't pay off, or they were misled about it.

A year is a long time in footy,2020 could be a windfall for the Kelly gang,for a minute lets just say the family are starting to settle into an exceptable routine and the kids are getting all the help they require in Geelong for now,Tims has had another good season and thinks I can be best 22 here for the next 4 or 5 years no worries, and there's an offer on the table for 4 years at say roughly $600k a season with an option of another 1 or 2 at the end.

Now things change,600k a year gets you all the help you want plenty of trips back home to the West.Opens up the possibility of paying a family member to come over and nanny the kids on a wage that will possibly give them a little tax relief as well as some time to them selves,sounds pretty enticing.
He would then have to weigh up the WC offer as well as forecast whether or not he's in such a strong position best 22 for the Eagles both 2020 and beyond.

:thumbsu:
Lets hope it gets done before seasons end. I dont believe the Eagles have left an offer on the table.

For everyones sake Tim Kelly playing well this season will make all interested parties happy. Even a melbourne based club could technically with the right amount of money get into the conversation.

Mitch Clark for example

A deal with Freo was NOT possible. It was made clear that any deal was to be done with WC, and no-one else.

I expect the GFC did ask re: home factor, and either took a risk despite being clearly told it wouldn't pay off, or they were misled about it.

I suggest they checked Kellys reason & accepted it. Thats the bare minimum any professional club would do & the Cats are very professional.

The Cats could have done a deal with Freo & put it to Kelly. Thats how clubs deal, both ways in or out. The Cats are far more professional than you believe.

The Cats DID deal with freo and on 3 seperate occasions put it to Tim who said no.
3 times freo and the Cats agreed to trade terms only for Kelly and his manager to say no.

The Cats DID deal with freo and on 3 seperate occasions put it to Tim who said no.
3 times freo and the Cats agreed to trade terms only for Kelly and his manager to say no.

Oh really? Well that's a version of events that got past me.....any corroboration ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back