Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to me. Debate what we will get but i think his worth is clear.

I think you would agree that the value of a pick any pick is arbitrary... for example was the P15 that we had last year worth more than P15 now that we have picked Clark? In the end any pick is only the chance to pick whoever is left after all the preceeding picks .. so from that pov ... what we dont know is how early SW really rated Clark. If he had P8 would he had still picked him etc. Obviously the earlier the pick the less arbitory it is and I understand your pov.. theearlier the pick the more choice we have.

I just heard Chris Scott interviewed on Krock ..saying we have missed on our r1 but we have not had top10 . top 5 picks etc. Really what he is saying is the best kids were taken by the time we had our pick. In Truth Kelly should be worth a best 22 player in his 20's but he may also be worth quality young kid and maybe a second kid thats more of a long shot... Just what kid ..well we really failed with the Ablett picks so ... that why I say worth is debatable. We may get this pick or that and end up with nothing .. He is actually worth a best22 play..that what he is.

Put it this way .. If we had traded Kelly and got Clark and Eli Smith ..id be pretty happy no matter what picks they went for. If we ended up with just a Max King etc Ok I could live with that too.

I wouldn't be basing our midfield around Kelly. He'll probably leave and the structure will become redundant and set us back a season. Build the midfield around Selwood/Danger/Duncan with Kelly/Menegola as supports. I'll be annoyed if I see Kelly playing Danger/Selwood/Duncans role and they're pushed out the middle.

I don't really rate him, he's elite but crashes packs and creates too many stoppages and causes the ball to spill out to anyone too often. Would rather a player have control of the ball and clear it to the forward line securely. If he's going to be one of our main ball users and going to crash into a a contest that's already occurring he needs to make sure he wins the ball, and ideally clear the ball safely after.

Too often he just flies in like lightning when Selwood or Danger are already on the the man. He just rambos in and creates a ball up or spills it out and leaves it to chance.
Would u change that opinion after the Collingwood game..Elite clearance, clean hands, acceleration and good call use

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

So let's say Kelly wanted to only go to WCE and went through the draft.. Would he have to take another rookie contract for 2 years?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...8/news-story/092e8461de478cfdeca0694ba1820939

AFL trade news 2019: Fremantle a contender for Tim Kelly despite homesick Cat’s sole Eagles interest in 2018
AFL

• March 17, 2019 4:39pm
  • by STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
275113bc34ada1b6c6d59befe91b5e97
Tim Kelly will feature for Geelong in 2019 following his failed bid to move home to WA. (Photo by Scott Barbour/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Geelong midfielder Tim Kelly is now willing to join Fremantle rather than just West Coast if a trade can be worked out in 2019, according to a report.
A deal between the Cats and Eagles was one of the major moves not completed in the 2018 trade period, with the homesick father of three keen to head back to Western Australia but terms unable to be met.
But last year, Kelly had only West Coast in mind for a trade. That appears to have changed this time.
Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Try 14-Days Free Now >
Round 1

1. (0 points, 3rd)

Melbourne Cricket Ground
    Mar 21 2019
    7:20PM

(0 points, 12th)

$5.50BET NOW$1.15

2. (0 points, 4th)

Melbourne Cricket Ground
    Mar 22 2019
    7:50PM

(0 points, 7th)

$1.63BET NOW$2.28

3. (0 points, 10th)

Melbourne Cricket Ground
    Mar 23 2019
    1:45PM

(0 points, 11th)

$1.31BET NOW$3.52

4. (0 points, 1st)

Adelaide Oval
    Mar 23 2019
    4:35PM

(0 points, 8th)

$1.35BET NOW$3.20

5. (0 points, 16th)

Marvel Stadium
    Mar 23 2019
    7:25PM

(0 points, 14th)

$2.20BET NOW$1.68

6. (0 points, 2nd)

Gabba
    Mar 23 2019
    8:20PM

(0 points, 15th)

$2.90BET NOW$1.42

7. (0 points, 13th)

Marvel Stadium
    Mar 24 2019
    1:10PM

(0 points, 17th)

$1.25BET NOW$4.00

8. (0 points, 18th)

Spotless Stadium
    Mar 24 2019
    3:20PM

(0 points, 5th)

$1.63BET NOW$2.28

9. (0 points, 6th)

Optus Stadium
    Mar 24 2019
    6:20PM

(0 points, 9th)

$1.72BET NOW$2.13

AFL Media reports Kelly and his management will closely follow how Fremantle performs in 2019, with the Dockers hoping a busy trade period featuring the additions of Jesse Hogan and Rory Lobb, but subtraction of Lachie Neale, will lead to more success.

The Dockers are believed to be better-placed to pay full price for Kelly, which is believed to be around $650,000 a season.
West Coast’s best offer for Kelly last year, which the Cats refused, was reportedly worth approximately Pick 2 when analysed using the AFL Draft Value Index.
Eagles list manager Brady Rawlings said after the trade deadline in 2018 that his club would “no doubt” try again for Kelly in 2019.
Kelly had a brilliant first season at AFL level, finishing runner-up in the Cats’ best and fairest.

Staff writers, no-one game to put their name to it, it seems?

I saw him at the pool with his kids a couple of weeks ago. He was there with a younger lady, is it kellys cousin or is it kaitlins cousin? The one that has moved over to give them a hand with the kids. Hopefully it makes life easier for them both having her here, and they reconsider leaving. If he keeps up the form he showed last night, i can’t see how wc can possibly have a good enough deal to get it done. Freo maybe might have a top 10 pick but even that seems low considering how good he was last night.

Geelong coach Chris Scott says it is not a foregone conclusion that Tim Kelly will request a trade again- Many believe that Tim Kelly will move to West Coast at the end of the season, but Geelong coach Chris Scott doesn’t share the same belief.

Despite the star midfielder requesting a trade back to Western Australia last year, the Cats are confident they can retain him in 2020 and beyond.
Kelly’s trade request was denied by the Cats after they entertained trade discussions with the Eagles, following a sparkling debut season where the mature-age recruit won the AFLPA best first-year player award and finished runner-up in the best and fairest.

But after the 24-year-old made a blistering start to 2019 against Collingwood on Friday night, amassing 31 disposals, 12 contested possessions, nine clearances, 60 pressure acts and 597 metres gained, the spotlight is shining brightly on his future again.

“Anyone that thinks it’s a foregone conclusion that Tim Kelly is going to leave Geelong is mistaken,” Scott said on SEN after Geelong won by seven points on Friday night.

“I’d probably repeat the comments that Tim’s made already publicly, that none of us can predict the future — he’s really drive to win a premiership with Geelong.

“Our list management team will work really hard on getting a good result for the club.

“I am very, very optimistic that he’ll be a Geelong player for a long time.”

Discussion surrounding Kelly’s future will swirl around all year long, unless he does a stunning backflip and recommits to the Cats.

But regardless of where he plays his football next year, Scott thinks the Cats can only benefit if Kelly produces more performances like Friday night.

“I think the best result for the Geelong footy club is for time to have a great year,” he said.

“He started it pretty well; he was the best player on the ground in my view last night.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ge...n/news-story/d1fbd86fda14ab68aa38d09e041b4919

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full credit to him - he must have put in a big preseason - the noticeable thing for me - was how much bigger he looks - he is huge - i thought it was Savrat a couple of times last night - Kelly is huge accross the shoulders now

If it was Tim's decision the comments by CS would have real meaning. But the home management will make the call so I'm not as upbeat as the coach. We live in hope.
I wish it was the case.... But Kelly is designated back to WA at the end of the year ... I hope he stays but I highly doubt it..

FredLeDeux, I am having a discussion in our thread as I said I saw Kelly and Mayne line up on a wing, can you or anyone verify?

Haven't watched a reply yet as I forgot to set, waiting for a friendly link to be upped.;)

Oh and by the way, think that Kelly is a star, my BOG on the night.

FredLeDeux, I am having a discussion in our thread as I said I saw Kelly and Mayne line up on a wing, can you or anyone verify?

Haven't watched a reply yet as I forgot to set, waiting for a friendly link to be upped.;)

Oh and by the way, think that Kelly is a star, my BOG on the night.
Hi Maggie, yes I saw them line up there at one stage, but can't remember when or how often, I was mainly trying to keep track of Geelong's roundabout in the middle.

Somebody here might be kind enough to give us a link, keep an eye on it.

Yes, Kelly is the real mcCoy, it would be a dreadful waste for him to be lost to real footy by going back to the west.

If the Cats have any intention to keep TK he'd have to just about be the highest paid player at the club.
Throw an 800-850k a year long term (4+) deal on the table and see what happens.
If we want him we HAVE to make the cash just simply too good NOT to stay.

2 years at super duper money? It would be done with the knowledge on cap space.. but even if we offer 800 to wc 600 ..how much is enough to overcome the "stuff". WE must be sensible .and Im sure Cook will be.

Assuming that the reports of Kelly now being prepared to play for either WA team IF he moves back being true then we should be adequately compensated at years end considering that he will be out of contract. Minimum now would be a top 8 pick. Possibly plus a player. If Friday night’s match is any indication of this season then he is elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back