Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

His DE was 61% on Sunday. I can recall a number of occasions where he had broken clear of congestion but still could not distribute properly.

B Crouch was equally as bad. There's no point in complaining about how shit our skills are if you're not going to hold the chief offenders to account because they're the guys we like.

If it's true he's been receiving pain killing injections this would explain his terrible kicking, and to a lesser degree, his ordinary decision making could be attributed to this because he doesn't have the confidence in his body. IMO he should of reverted to the 60m tumbler into the forward 50 which forced a contest. This worked with reasonable success in 2012. In 2014 this would have been beneficial with Betts now on our list. He would have preferred it to some of the sky balls he received this year.

For the first time since 2010 he almost handballed more than kicking it. I'm guessing this is to accommodate his injuries. When he's in the middle, unless it's a kick to a teammate in space, he should be looking for a teammate on the outside with a better leg. Not that's it's hugely relevant, Kennedy, Priddis and Boak handball around 60% of the time, they had excellent years. If he's in the forward 50 he can have a license to do whatever he wants.

Overall it was a disappointing season by his standards, especially in the eyes of us fans, but comparing him to most of his teammates and those across the league, he still outperformed them. He will probably be in the top 10 for the Brownlow this year and was our highest vote getter in the coach's votes. Statistics suggest he is still in top few of the league for clearances and contested possessions. All this when he's clearly hindered by injury is still exceptional.

A clean up, rest, and some decision making and disposal work over the several months will be him in great stead for a huge 2015.

Patty needs to go to "decision making" school. He fails in that area. I don't think you can blame that on injuries.

Patty could do with spending the off season and pre season playing pickup/social basketball - some time 'running the point' would do wonders for his vision, awareness, creativity and understanding of tempo and angles.

I thought Dangerfield was doing everything at his usual standard this year, except his kicking, which was way below par. He's still courageous and a contested ball freak but we really need him to work on his disposal over the summer. No point winning the ball if your constantly burning it.

Sloane went through a period mid season where he couldn't hit a target... i think a lot of problems were attributed to injuries, getting smashed week in week out and just lost form..

Definitely should work on kicking during the off season, but i'd be surprised if this season isn't an anomaly.

Patty could do with spending the off season and pre season playing pickup/social basketball - some time 'running the point' would do wonders for his vision, awareness, creativity and understanding of tempo and angles.

I was going to agree, but then remembered that Jenkins comes from a basketball background, doesn't he? Obviously didn't work wonders for him. :eek:

I thought Dangerfield was doing everything at his usual standard this year, except his kicking, which was way below par. He's still courageous and a contested ball freak but we really need him to work on his disposal over the summer. No point winning the ball if your constantly burning it.

The thing that separates Danger is he is one of the very few players in the league (Ablett, Gray this year) that can win the hard ball like the Boyd, Priddis, Watson types but can also do the flashy exciting stuff that these guys don't tend to do. His highlights packages for previous years are ridiculous, this year it would be pretty much that goal he kicked against Geelong in round 1 over and over again. This year he was just a Boyd, Priddis type without the highlight reel stuff that has separated him from those guys in the past.

Yeah, Jenkins was a big man though, not a guard. And I think his awareness and decision making are actually pretty good; it's his attack on the footy/aggression that lets him down.

The skills of a point guard or shooting guard seem to have great carry over to footy. I think you can often pick the guys who played as one of those on a basketball court before playing footy or alongside playing footy. And I think the skills that carry over are stuff that would really help Danger.

Yep his disposal has been horrid. He had some moments but overall quite an ordinary year for his standards.

I thought his season was typified by the last 2-3 minutes of the Norf game 2 weeks ago. There were about 4-5 stoppages in succession where we desperately needed a clearance and every time Swallow got his hands on the ball first and banged it away.

Danger was there - but couldn't get near it, or even force a draw, right when our season was on the line. This is his specialty and he could not keep us in it.

Disappointing year

The thing that separates Danger is he is one of the very few players in the league (Ablett, Gray this year) that can win the hard ball like the Boyd, Priddis, Watson types but can also do the flashy exciting stuff that these guys don't tend to do. His highlights packages for previous years are ridiculous, this year it would be pretty much that goal he kicked against Geelong in round 1 over and over again. This year he was just a Boyd, Priddis type without the highlight reel stuff that has separated him from those guys in the past.
He still had plenty of burst moments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, Jenkins was a big man though, not a guard. And I think his awareness and decision making are actually pretty good; it's his attack on the footy/aggression that lets him down.

The skills of a point guard or shooting guard seem to have great carry over to footy. I think you can often pick the guys who played as one of those on a basketball court before playing footy or alongside playing footy. And I think the skills that carry over are stuff that would really help Danger.
Nothing better than having a professional athlete sneaking in a few games of social basketball. Rebound, turn, throw downcourt for a layup.

That there has been talk of a commitment date between the Crows and Danger.
Roo on MMM just now said they would not be trading Danger and he would be extremely disappointed if he left. Said the club had to create culture that he didn't want to leave. Said they would not offer captaincy as a tool only to the best captain.

He also responded to some goose who called in yesterday to the rush hour who said we should trade Tex as 30+ goals wasn't enough. Fair dinkum there are idiots out there.

Roo on MMM just now said they would not be trading Danger and he would be extremely disappointed if he left. Said the club had to create culture that he didn't want to leave. Said they would not offer captaincy as a tool only to the best captain.

The same roo who said “You always can get better ... everyone is tradeable,” on TripleM on Monday?

He also responded to some goose who called in yesterday to the rush hour who said we should trade Tex as 30+ goals wasn't enough. Fair dinkum there are idiots out there.

Are you suggesting that trading Danger is idiotic? Despite the fact if he leaves next year and we finish middle of the table - our only compensation will be a pick between 8 and 13?

The same roo who said “You always can get better ... everyone is tradeable,” on TripleM on Monday?

Are you suggesting that trading Danger is idiotic? Despite the fact if he leaves next year and we finish middle of the table - our only compensation will be a pick between 8 and 13?
I'm suggesting the goose who bagged Tex is an idiot.

As for Danger if the club thought he was going I would trade him but if they thought not no. I think and hope he will stay. We have to be able to keep our players, enough is enough.

Roo wanted Dangerfield to be appointed captain at the beginning of this year. Hopefully he gets his wish next year.

Danger is league 1st for Contested Possessions, 3rd for Clearances, 3rd for Hardball Gets, 4th for Inside 50s, 16th for Handballs,17th for Total Possessions, 23rd for Metres Gained. You just don't contemplate trading this sort of elite football, even if his delivery needs improving. What I don't want to see is a future thread titled - 'Dangerfield is Gone':straining:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back