Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think thats a fair call. We have runs on the board with him (first year) so I think we're entitled to be direct and expect a direct answer.

If says "Im staying", though, I'd be throwing a Buddy size contract at him.

True but I'd be very reluctant to offer anything past 6 years.

That would take him to his 30th birthday.

6 years @ $6,100,000

We'll have to offer him 1 to 1.2m if we are serious about keeping him.

When is the new AFL CBA due to be negotiated?

I agree, we need to offer him $1 a year but if the new CBA sees the salary cap increase in 3 or 4 years time - maybe we could back load him payments with something like $800,000, $800,000, $800,000 then $1,200,000, $1,200,000 and year 6 $1,200,000 = $6,000,000 over 6 years.

When is the new AFL CBA due to be negotiated?

I agree, we need to offer him $1 a year but if the new CBA sees the salary cap increase in 3 or 4 years time - maybe we could back load him payments with something like $800,000, $800,000, $800,000 then $1,200,000, $1,200,000 and year 6 $1,200,000 = $6,000,000 over 6 years.

Not sure.... I would have front loaded the 1st 3 years and tapered off the last 2 and had a more performance based contract.

Taper off what we pay Danger to secure the next star.

Not sure.... I would have front loaded the 1st 3 years and tapered off the last 2 and had a more performance based contract.

Taper off what we pay Danger to secure the next star.

If the salary cap is expected to increase - the extra won't have that much extra influence.

However, if by the small chance it decreases, your point of view would be spot on and I'd agree.

He still has a case to be top 5 in brownlow atm​

3 votes vs Gws 33 disposals 5 goals
3 votes vs bullies 28 disposals 22 contested
2 votes vs Melbourne 25 disposals 17 contested 2 goals
3 votes vs Collingwood 32 disposals 20 contested 12 clearances
2 votes vs Port 33 disposals 22 contested 1 goal 9 inside 50s
3 votes vs Hawthorn 41 disposals 27 contested 9 clearances
2 votes vs Collingwood 27 disposals 15 contested 6 clearances 7 inside 50s

18 votes with 2 games left

Who knows umpires might take pity on him because he gets beaten up every week

His overall stats are pretty good as well going by his averages seeing as Kennedy will be out next week

1st in contested possessions
4th in clearances
1st in centre clearances
4th in inside 50s
Averages 26 disposals
17 goals this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he has lost pace this year which is one of his main assets due to not being rested and playing through injury. we need him at peak pace because he is the fastest player in the league most likely and is extremely damaging. not only have i noticed this but after going to the match on the weekend i notice his lack of intensity when defending through the midfield. i have always thought danger did both the offensive and defensive but for the first time noticed him fail to chase his hardest at someone 2m away. is his body cooked for the rest of the season? or can we get him right by resting him vs st kilda IF we beat north melbourne and are just about assured finals?

I would be asking him outright - are you going or staying?

Unless he categorically says - Alex, I'm staying 100%, I'd trade him.

If he says he is staying - I'd have a 4 year $3,500,000 deal on the table for him to sign right now.

I tend to agree and think it would probably take 5yrs and 4.5 or maybe more. Potentially a lot more. Imagine the kudos from a melbourne team, the impact on ticket sales to be able to say we just signed danger, get onboard.

The impact on a Carlton, Collingwood, richmond whoever would be huge. And I bet they all know it too. The value off field would be worth as much as on.

Now if it took 4.5 over 5 or more, I'm also starting to worry about committing that much money to a guy who plays like that

Very hard for the club to get it right here I reckon

Anyone would be game to offer Danger a long term deal. He won't play past 30, surely. I know Sydney sold their soul for short-term success but I can't see that sort of thing happening on a regular basis (and Dangerfield isn't Buddy).

5 year deal (if he wants it). I don't think he'll really care about $200k here or there if he'll be up around $1m. The key is success which he has said on numerous occasions.

The issue with that is the timing is terrible. He obviously loves Sando and that would be a contributing factor to his decision, but if Sando has another shitter next year and he's probably (should be) a goner. A shit year would mean Danger doesn't want to stay because he sees success elsewhere and plus Sando would get his head loped off. Makes it easier to leave.

If we don't perform better in 2015 and it ends up a Sando stays or Danger goes scenario then Danger can go. No point keeping a gun player if we won't win the flag anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back