Vic Daniel Andrews Retires, Undefeated

Remove this Banner Ad

Lmao

Holiday homes and serviced apartments have existed since forever. Airbnb just came with a nifty app and a way to get around the red tape.
Serviced apartments? Right!!

There is no doubt Airbnb is a disruptor, like Uber was for the taxi industry, but they don't succeed unless there is a need and demand. So blame consumers. Short Stay rentals companies like Stayz and local real estate agencies promoting holiday rentals have picked up their act because they have to compete with Airbnb.

Also massive lol at the $1000 per night for hotels like that's the norm, you'd get taken more seriously in this thread if you didn't post that sort of bullshit
If my wife and I go away with another couple or two couples, which we often do, we will stay at an Airbnb that has all the amenities we look for. We did that a month ago at Sorrento.

If we stayed at a comparable hotel with matching amenities it would easily cost $1,000,for 2 or 3 rooms. Instead we pay $400-$500/night all up.

So Gralin it is not bullshit. What is bullshit is you thinking you know everything. And yet you admit you have never used Airbnb.

Serviced apartments? Right!!

There is no doubt Airbnb is a disruptor, like Uber was for the taxi industry, but they don't succeed unless there is a need and demand. So blame consumers. Short Stay rentals companies like Stayz and local real estate agencies promoting holiday rentals have picked up their act because they have to compete with Airbnb.
Have you ever stayed at a Quest before?

I agree with the Uber comparison, it's 100% spot on. Two apps marketed as convenience when really it's all about circumventing a bit of red tape. Now anyone can live next to a holiday home where ferals on bucks parties can piss and shit in the street, **** yeah!

Have you ever stayed at a Quest before?

I agree with the Uber comparison, it's 100% spot on. Two apps marketed as convenience when really it's all about circumventing a bit of red tape. Now anyone can live next to a holiday home where ferals on bucks parties can piss and s**t in the street, * yeah!
Of course I’ve stayed at Quest, Meriton and similar places. I prefer them to hotels when I’m in Sydney for work because you get a kitchen. But if I’m going away with others I prefer a house with all the amenities. That for me is the point of difference.

They're you're typical tech bro startup like Uber that doesn't give a s**t about local laws and is designed to make money off someone else's assets

Also massive lol at the $1000 per night for hotels like that's the norm, you'd get taken more seriously in this thread if you didn't post that sort of bullshit
Making money off someone else's asset is called "Business". How's your Super fund going? Or EVERY tradesman employing someone?

Your employer even does it with your time.

Air BNB had a good idea, and a successful one. I wish I'd had it.

But slugging AIRBNB/owners with extra burdens will only end one way, and won't create a miraculous change in home ownership.

FWIW the first thing I'd do is ban foreign ownership of Australian residential dwellings.

Making money off someone else's asset is called "Business".
lol
How's your Super fund going?
the thing I have no control over having?
its going very neoliberally thanks
Or EVERY tradesman employing someone?
really interested how you think airbnb and tradies are the same, all ears here
Your employer even does it with your time.
my employer pays me for doing my job
Air BNB had a good idea, and a successful one. I wish I'd had it.
like I said the techbro model of making someone else have the asset and risk
of course what they want to do is corner the market so you have to use them
but they also dont care about the legalities of what they do or the impact it has on housing

But slugging AIRBNB/owners with extra burdens will only end one way, and won't create a miraculous change in home ownership.
do it well enough and it will end airbnb
for the record if you have a hotel room as an investment that you are using as a short stay I have no real issue with that
short stay accomodation is pretty much an opt in system that you can largely avoid
residental homes being turned into short stay I have an issue with regardless of whether you use airbnb or not because you are removing housing stock from the market that someone could live in long term

FWIW the first thing I'd do is ban foreign ownership of Australian residential dwellings.
love it, always the answer, those damn foreigners are the problem, not housing being an investment option, just that people from somenwhere else might own one

Probably not worth getting too excited until we have a handle on how many Airbnb's are actually potential rental stock, and not holiday homes/city pads that will never come onto the market, and of the remainder how many 7.5% are really going to shake loose.

In isolation, without a broader limitation, it just seems to be more tinkering.

Yes and Sttew is going to disagree in the most bonkers way possible

Always good for a laugh is Sttew and his joining of random dots.

My uncle was looking at investing in hotel rooms decades ago. A new hotel was being built in Melbourne, forget which one, and they were selling rooms like the multi level car parks do. The end result was you had an investment with that you could try and sell that was managed and had an income source, was maintained by the hotel etc
Don't know if he ever went through with it but its not a new concept. I'd not heard of booking out an actual hotel room via AirBnB before but then I refuse to use it

There is a lot of that kind of thing (eg Mantra hotels, student accommodation etc)
For about $120k you can buy one.
But you don't actually own it, still owned by the landlord, and
  • you get to pay the landlord exhorbitant fees for managing your property.
  • you can't actually stay in the place yourself ( they do give you 2 or 3 weeks a year)

ALP are 58% 2PP against Libs in the 35-49 and 66% in the age group below that.

How could the Libs possibly be doing worse? Generationally in the toilet, letting the Govt run rampant and still losing voters.

Instead of banging on about Dictator Dan, the Libs should be thanking him for keeping so many of their voters alive.

“When this $2bn was announced the prime minister was very clear – it’s for public housing. We are still awaiting clarification that the housing commitments announced today will be publicly owned and publicly managed,” Butterss said.

“We are cautiously optimistic but it will be extremely disappointing if the management of these tenancies is once again referred to the community housing sector.”

god I hope this really is going to all be public but I'm not confident that it will be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

god I hope this really is going to all be public but I'm not confident that it will be

Seems like it is going to have significant public housing.

From the article I read, there will be a 10% increase on prior public housing numbers at the site?
Whenever they call it social housing and haven't confirmed yet that it will be government run I get suspicious.
That's from the same article

Unless I am reading it wrong, they'll have a 10% on prior stock?

Not ideal. But something.
Like I said they've yet to confirm it will be government run public housing in full

Me also, but the prior tenants are being given first dibs, so I'm guessing it is actually public housing.
I have very low levels of trust given all the current ground lease programs the government has done

Victoria’s debt burden has been confirmed as double that of NSW in the latest budget forecasts.

The Minns government handed down its first NSW budget on Tuesday, predicting net debt to grow to $113.6bn by 2026-27 – the equivalent of $38,000 for every household.

That compares to current Victorian projections that show state debt will skyrocket in the same time to $171bn – or almost $70,000 for every household.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic Daniel Andrews Retires, Undefeated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back