Daniel Gilmore

Remove this Banner Ad

Gilmore for Byron could honestly be a very good trade for both sides.

Byron's probably got another 3 years in him, as do Bell, Cook, Farmer, M. Carr, Schofield and Parker (only 1-2), and Byron would add a lot of hardness to the team while not giving another slow inside player.

As for Port, they're not going to be challenging for a premiership while Byron is still around, so getting a talented young midfielder is a good deal for them.

Gilmore's pretty much not going to get a chance for Freo anyway...

vinnie_vegas69 said:

Byron's probably got another 3 years in him, as do Bell, Cook, Farmer, M. Carr, Schofield and Parker (only 1-2), and Byron would add a lot of hardness to the team while not giving another slow inside player.

As for Port, they're not going to be challenging for a premiership while Byron is still around, so getting a talented young midfielder is a good deal for them.

God help us if Schofield has another 3 years in him :)

Don't be swayed by all the hype about Gilmour. Regular South Freo watchers have been saying he shirks contests on a regular basis, and they have been saying that from before he was drafted. CC has said he has to get better at playing contested footy and when he does that he will get a game.
Not that I want to see Gilmour leave but if Port want him enough I reckon they can have him. We have plenty of HBF/Winger types.

22 years old, 6'3", kicks both feet, excellent mark, athletic....
So the coaching staff have to put a bit of work into him, I actually thought that that was their job. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Pickett isn't going to advance the club. Are we going back to that drafting of older players with limited value just to get a few short term results on the board. I hope not.

If Gilmore is retained on the list then the Club would see him as a chance to play, and have faith that his weak areas can be improved.

As well as shirking contests the other thing that has been reported is that he is VERY one sided, so surprised to hear that he can kick both sides. I also have see reports that the problem is also between the WAFL Club and the Dockers, in that the WAFL Club seem to want him to be a rebounding ,unaccountable defender, whereas Dockers think that is feeding his weeknesses.

He seems to me to be someone who could find a role in the team, but possibly not as a backman. Maybe as a tall, running wingman, or in the forward line.

Yeah he plays as a sweeper if you like in defence

Watched the GF, he was nowhere to be seen in the first 3 quarters but started to get lots of possesions when the sting was out of the game

I am also surprised that we havent played him as an outside midfielder

pinkus maximus said:
I am also surprised that we havent played him as an outside midfielder
He'd have to contend with Black and Headland for the starting possie. Would struggle to even get on the bench as a back up due to the recent good form of Peake and Crowley.

pav_is_god said:
He'd have to contend with Black and Headland for the starting possie. Would struggle to even get on the bench as a back up due to the recent good form of Peake and Crowley.
That's a good challenge for him. Needs to reinvent himself if that's the case. Demand to be selected. Do what the Coaches ask.

theGav56 said:
That's a good challenge for him. Needs to reinvent himself if that's the case. Demand to be selected. Do what the Coaches ask.
He was supposed to be doing that this season...

I'm sure he could be a decent AFL player, but I'm more inclined to think that he's worth more to us as a trade than as a permanent WAFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vinnie_vegas69 said:

Not picking on you 'vinne' just using you post as an example.

How come the rest of the world sees any swap from Fremantle for picket as being a win/win.

Sure Byron has played heaps of finals footy, played in a winning GF team and won a Norm Smith. He has been to the top of the mountain.

Fremantle would become a retirement home for him. ' Just topping up the super' so to speak.

We need young hungry players not ageing champions.

Sailor said:
22 years old, 6'3", kicks both feet, excellent mark, athletic....
So the coaching staff have to put a bit of work into him, I actually thought that that was their job. Perhaps I'm wrong.

One sided (L), goes out of his way to get on to his left side and as such is very predictable, goes out of his way to avoid body contact and always has. They are the very reasons that he missed out on selection for U18's.
The coaching staff can't do the impossible.

Dr Ralph Dagg said:
Don't be swayed by all the hype about Gilmour. Regular South Freo watchers have been saying he shirks contests on a regular basis, and they have been saying that from before he was drafted. CC has said he has to get better at playing contested footy and when he does that he will get a game.
Not that I want to see Gilmour leave but if Port want him enough I reckon they can have him. We have plenty of HBF/Winger types.

Spot on!

RIPPER_46 said:
They are just trying to put you off. He would be an excellent trade to get young Surjen home.

The only winner in that scenario would be South Fremantle.

Smarty didn't rate Surjan before and doesn't rate him now that's why he wasn't considered.

I'm amazed at some comments. I have watched Gilly play many times for South Freo. He is a left footer and has an excellent kick, but he is also a good kick on his right.
Does Judd use his left at all? does he get criticised for wanting to use his right.
Does Tredrae use his left? Hird? Pavlich?
So why the wailing when Gilly goes left. He would be better on his other peg than any of the above.
Gilly has played with South as a tall, attacking and running wingman.
Freo want him to be an instant defender.
Maybe South just use him better.

Sailor said:
I'm amazed at some comments. I have watched Gilly play many times for South Freo. He is a left footer and has an excellent kick, but he is also a good kick on his right.
Does Judd use his left at all? does he get criticised for wanting to use his right.
Does Tredrae use his left? Hird? Pavlich?
So why the wailing when Gilly goes left. He would be better on his other peg than any of the above.
Gilly has played with South as a tall, attacking and running wingman.
Freo want him to be an instant defender.
Maybe South just use him better.

TREDDERS uses his left better than his right (yes, he is right footed)

Gilmore and our 2nd round for Damon White and Byron Pickett. Good deal or too one sided in our favour or theirs?

RIPPER_46 said:
Didn't know that , I was just remembering daslers outrage.
I'm sure you'll see why i rate Surjan so highly next season Ripper.

On another tangent, Gilmore would be a brownlow medallist if he would put his body on the line and use his right foot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Gilmore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back