Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Rich had started 2008 clearly ahead of Hill in draft calculations. By midyear, in Fremantle recruiter Phil Smart’s eyes, it was line ball. By the time Smart and Docker scouts John Nykyforak and Justin Longmuir went to Joondalup for the meeting with Hill, his mother and a West Perth representative, Hill was ahead in their reckoning. But the Dockers knew that the decision was going to provoke a lot of debate.
Smart still regarded Rich as a rolled gold 200-game AFL star. So if he was going in a different direction, it had better not be a dead end.

rich11.jpg

Link

Matthew Pavlich has heaped special praise on Stephen Hill for how he has handled the controversy surrounding his drafting ahead of star state teammate Daniel Rich. Questions were raised of the wisdom of the Dockers when Hill was picked before Rich in last November's AFL lottery - queries heightened when Rich won the NAB Rising Star nomination after his stellar round one debut for Brisbane against the Eagles.
But after Hill's brilliant showing in WA's biggest game last weekend, he matched Rich's nomination with one of his own yesterday.
All too aware of the pressure which comes with being a star at Fremantle, skipper Pavlich said Hill had answered some of the doubters who claimed the Dockers had erred by picking him instead of the Subiaco star.

rich15.jpg

Link

Daniel Rich, a raging favourite to claim this year's Rising Star Award, drove the ball into Brisbane's attack six times from 14 touches with his booming left-foot kick. That effort was bettered by no Lion yesterday, a fact that highlights his contribution given the presence of champion midfielder Simon Black and the very talented Luke Power and Travis Johnstone.

rich21.jpg

The only thing that I would ask of Rich in terms of his disposal into the forward 50 is that he start to kick to space, rather than to the man. He is such an accurate kick over long distances that he can put the ball on his team-mate's head. But that gives the defender an even contest at the ball. I'd like to see him kick it to some space on his team-mate's side of the ball, allowing a Brown/Bradshaw to push off his opponent early to take the grab. That is about ignoring your vastly more credentialled teammate's direction which is very difficult for a young bloke to do but we'll see more scoring opportunities come from his disposal if he makes the big guys run at the ball rather than putting it on their oversized KPP noggins.

The only thing that I would ask of Rich in terms of his disposal into the forward 50 is that he start to kick to space, rather than to the man. He is such an accurate kick over long distances that he can put the ball on his team-mate's head. But that gives the defender an even contest at the ball. I'd like to see him kick it to some space on his team-mate's side of the ball, allowing a Brown/Bradshaw to push off his opponent early to take the grab. That is about ignoring your vastly more credentialled teammate's direction which is very difficult for a young bloke to do but we'll see more scoring opportunities come from his disposal if he makes the big guys run at the ball rather than putting it on their oversized KPP noggins.

He's shown he can do it, but needs to do it more consistently.

He's shown he can do it, but needs to do it more consistently.

Yeah, that 60 metre kick to Brown in his first game was the perfect example of kicking to the right space for the forward to lead into.

It says a lot about how advanced he is that we are even suggesting stuff like this... normally with a player this inexperienced you are just happy to see them get the ball a few times a game.

Yeah, that 60 metre kick to Brown in his first game was the perfect example of kicking to the right space for the forward to lead into.

It says a lot about how advanced he is that we are even suggesting stuff like this... normally with a player this inexperienced you are just happy to see them get the ball a few times a game.

Exactly. He is amazing me with his ability and consistency at this level.

yeah, i dont think he has had a 'bad' game yet. He is always good for a few tackles, 10-15 touches, a few clearances and a hand full of inside 50 enteries. Seems to be holding up well with the week to week grind as well. Doesn't seem to need a week off to rest up like some young players do.

Link

THE Rising Star award continues to attract enormous betting interest. Betstar reports it is holding almost as much on the Rising Star as the Brownlow.
"Daniel Rich is still by far our worst result, but we believe he's a big risk," Eskander said.
"We've taken bets of $1000 at $13 on Andy Otten (Adelaide), $1000 at $15 on Jarryn Geary (St Kilda) and $500 at $23 on Hawthorn's Brendan Whitecross this week."
Rich has eased from $3.50 to $3.75 favourite, with Essendon's David Zaharakis the big mover from $51 to $8.50.

rich24.jpg

Just thought Id pop in and say that todays game v the Kangaroos was the first time I have since Daniel Rich play. Looks like a star of the future. Very impressive pick up! :thumbsu:

Link

First-year star Daniel Rich was awesome for the Lions, while young ruckman Mitch Clark and Simon Black also played crucial roles. This was also a win for Brisbane's fitness staff, as that trio were coming off light training schedules to ease the wear-and-tear on their bodies.
"Some guys that we've been nursing along a little bit in the last couple of weeks really came out today and played well - Daniel Rich, Simon Black ... Mitch Clark," Voss said.

xbmsg0.jpg

Link

Young gun Daniel Rich was sensational for the Lions with 25 possessions and five tackles. There was an early battle between Rich and fellow up-and-comer Jack Ziebell, but the stocky Lion's composure and accuracy made him stand out.

2jcshtg.jpg

BOG and career best game today:thumbsu:

Link

Lions' top draft choice has Rich future
Saturday, 30 May 2009 8:08 PM

"His kicking is the cream on the cake, but he's a very level-headed kid, he's not the sort of kid who will hit the brick wall." Michael Voss, Lions coach

Daniel Rich beat Jack Ziebell on Saturday at Etihad Stadium, but it most likely was just the first round in a long, engrossing duel.

Rich, the No.7 pick in last year's AFL national draft, was best afield with 25 possessions as Brisbane beat North Melbourne by three goals.

Ziebell went to North two picks after Rich and the pair have enjoyed standout debuts so far this season.

Rich started on a half-forward flank and Ziebell was his opponent.

Brisbane coach Michael Voss knows the pair well from his team as an Australian Institute of Sport coach and he enjoyed watching the contest.

"Obviously I've spent time with both of them at the AIS and when I saw him (Ziebell) wandering down there I thought 'aw, this will be interesting'," he said.

"They're two young bulls .... they look like they're going to be great players for their respective sides over a long period."

While Rich benefitted from a lighter training load over the last couple of weeks, Ziebell looked a little weary.

"It was good to see him running 'on top of the ground' again and breaking into space," Voss said of Rich.

"To be able to run the lines was something I hadn't seen for a couple of weeks from Richy, so to see him do that and work hard was something he's been working on a lot."

But Voss also pointed out it was far too early to tell which player will have the better career.

Indeed, it may well prove that the two clubs made the right decision, given that Rich and Ziebell seem destined for stellar careers.

"Time tells what sort of players (they) are going to be and how much value they've been to their clubs," Voss said.

"We're all perfect judges in hindsight."

Rich was one of the more interesting stories in last year's draft, given he had to wait until pick seven for his selection.

The Lions did not hesitate when he was still in the pool for their first choice.

Voss and Lions captain Jonathan Brown said Rich had benefitted from playing two seasons of senior football in WA before joining the AFL.

Rich is used to the media attention and has played alongside men.

"His kicking is the cream on the cake, but he's a very level-headed kid, he's not the sort of kid who will hit the brick wall," Brown said.

"He just takes it in his stride.

"He's such a strong kid and he's going to be a great player for this footy club - he'll keep going from strength to strength because of his mental strength."

5dtg9l.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Lions happy with on-field value of rookie Rich
Emma Quayle
May 31, 2009

DANIEL Rich had enough energy left in the final seven minutes of yesterday's match to kick a 50-metre goal, contest the next centre bounce and then make his way to the other end of the ground. There he realised Aaron Edwards wanted to pass to David Hale, managed to duck in front of the North Melbourne forward, stuck his hands up and marked the awkward ball.
It made Michael Voss glad that his conditioning staff had wound back their young players' workload in the past few weeks at training, conscious that they will need to survive a long season.
"It was good to see him running on top of the ground again and breaking into space," said the coach. "Getting to the contest but then being able to run the lines was something I hadn't seen for a couple of weeks from Richy. To do that, and keep working hard, was something he's been working on."
Rich had racked up 25 possessions by the final siren yesterday. He won the ball in tough, tight spaces, where you could barely even notice he was there, while his long left-foot kicking was more plain to see. At one point, he made a pass to Daniel Bradshaw curl towards goal at the very last moment, and fall into his forward's hands. He thumped a longer, harder kick over the top of the midfield, straight to Jonathan Brown.
Brown's eyes lit up, though they have been glowing since his first summer training sessions with the No. 7 draftee. "You could see it in the pre-season," said the Lions captain, who suspects Rich's ready-to-go body, senior experience at Subiaco, strong mind and willingness to ask questions are what has got him to the middle of the season in such good shape.
"I think we all thought he might be one of those kids who'd come in and play regular footy straight away, the scouts had seen that and you get a bit of a feel for them in the pre-season. He's a very level-headed kid, he's not the sort of kid that will hit the brick wall, he just takes it all in his stride.
"Everyone talks about his long left foot, but the thing we've been most impressed with has been his toughness in the clinches and his tackling pressure. His kicking's the cream on the cake." '
It is too soon to wonder why six clubsoverlooked Rich on draft day last November. Stephen Hill, Hamish Hartlett, Michael Hurley and Chris Yarran have all played some good football in the first 10 weeks of the season, and Jack Watts and Nick Naitanui haven't had the chance to. It was never any insult to Rich that he made it to pick seven in a strong draft.

What's obvious is that the Lions made an extremely good call. Rich has played in every game, and found the ball 15 or more times in eight of them. He hasn't floated around the forward line; he has slotted straight into the centre, for large parts of each match. He's looked comfortable from day one, and Brown has seen the potential for him to do much, much more, over many seasons. "He's such a strong kid," he said. "He's going to be a great player for this footy club, and I think he'll keep going from strength to strength because of his mental strength."
But even if Rich was an easy choice, the Lions still had to call his name. Ahead of others, and they had options. After last year's draft camp — before Fremantle's interest in Hill became known and recruiters sensed Rich might slide down the order — the Lions were keen on a 17-year-old from the Murray Bushrangers and Caulfield Grammar. That kid was Jack Ziebell who, like Rich, has made a very quick impression on his teammates and coaches at North Melbourne.
Having worked closely with both boys through the AIS-AFL Academy, where he was an assistant coach, Voss knew them extremely well. So he watched with interest as the players settled into position ahead of the opening bounce yesterday, and Rich wound up beside the competition's other instant star, albeit one who is starting to look a little bit tired and sore.
It was a moment the coach enjoyed. "When I saw them wondering down there I thought 'oh, this'll be interesting, these two playing on each other.' And they're two young bulls really, when you think about it," Voss said.
"They look like they're both going to be great players for their respective sides over a long period of time, and they've had a good impact on their teams also — Daniel's had a good impact immediately on our team and I would say that 'Ziebs' has also done the same."
It's too early for Voss to know who called the right names last November. Time would reveal the type of player each draftee would be, he said, and what they would mean to their club. All he knows, right now, is that he's happy with the one he got. "I think we're all perfect judges in hindsight."

2r2njur.jpg

An outstanding effort. BOG for sure. His work ethic is outstanding. To run 50 metres, spoil a mark in the square (and save a certain goal) - then instantly demand the kick in and deliver a perfect 30 metre pass then sprint again to recieve the next kick, and deliver into the forward fifty. It was as good an individual play as I have ever seen. From an 18 year old.

To stand in a tackle with 2 Kangaroos trying to dump him and hold it up with pure strength. Priceless. That pass onto Bradshaws chest when there were 2 shorter options, but to possess the vision he has. Born to play the game.

He is special and this is recognised by the coaching panel and team mates. This is the first game players have actively sought to give the ball to him, and we looked a far superior unit for it. Spoke beautifully after the game too - has he played 10 games or 200. Speaking of which, he must have made an impact to be sought for that before Tim Notting.

3 Brownlow votes, a firm hand on the Rising Star, and a career that will bring a Brownlow and captaincy, IMO..

His possie count was the thing that stood out for me tonight. He has been playing well, but has yet really got his hands on a lot of ball, only because he hasn't been recieving it. Tonight, he was finally given the ball when he should, and he goes from 16 odd touches to 25.

This kid is dangerous with ball in hand, we should be getting it to him 20+ times every game.

Link

On the subject of medals, Brisbane's Daniel Rich continues to firm for the Rising Star award. "I watch a fair bit of football and he's clearly the best kid I've seen this year," Norm Short of Flemington Sportsbet said. "I'm not saying he will be the best player three years down the track, but right now he should be an even-money chance."

rich25.jpg

Link

Team of the week: round 10
By Matt Burgan
7:52 AM Tue 02 June, 2009

B: Paul Duffield (Fremantle), Matthew Scarlett (Geelong), Paul Bower (Carlton)

HB: Corey Enright (Geelong), Nathan Bock (Adelaide), Andrew Mackie (Geelong)

C: Joel Selwood (Geelong), Lenny Hayes (St Kilda), Brett Deledio (Richmond)

HF: Steve Johnson (Geelong), Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda), Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)

F: Mark LeCras (West Coast Eagles), Brendan Fevola (Carlton), Taylor Walker (Adelaide)

FOLL: Mitch Clark (Brisbane Lions), Scott Thompson (Adelaide), Dane Swan (Collingwood)

I/C: Adam Goodes (Sydney Swans), Daniel Giansiracusa (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Rich (Brisbane Lions), Marc Murphy (Carlton)

Daniel Rich (Brisbane Lions) – Continued his outstanding first season and further enhanced his NAB AFL Rising Star Medal chances with 25 touches against the Roos. He also had five inside 50s, five tackles and four clearances.

rich19.jpg

Link

Kerr trade a fine plan in hindsight
1st June 2009, 6:00 WST

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but with the benefit of it West Coast should have been prepared to trade Daniel Kerr at the end of 2008.
Why? Because the right deal would have kept another Daniel out of the Lions den and delivered him straight into the Eagles nest.

Once you are out of contention, your priority is building a team that can get you back into the mix. And there is valid argument that the Eagles would be closer to their next flag if the Daniel on their list was Rich, not Kerr.

West Coast might take that pick six (from Carlton) now because it would have delivered Rich, superb for the Lions against North Melbourne on Saturday and always considered to be a readymade AFL player.

Will Rich be as good as Kerr? Time will tell. But he has 10 years of football ahead of him and Kerr, 26, may have only three or four.

rich22.jpg

Link

What's His Name Again He Had A Belter: Daniel Rich. After watching his stocky body mix it with North Melbourne's best on Saturday, it's easy to forget the lad has played only 10 games of AFL football. He gathered 25 telling possessions, didn't turn it over, tackled hard, and could have posted the first three Brownlow votes of what is sure to be a lengthy career in the big league.

rich16.jpg

Link

Bam Bam booming
By Michael Whiting
10:26 AM Wed 03 June, 2009

BOOM Brisbane Lion Daniel Rich has taken to the AFL like a duck to water, but the rugged teenager said he still had to pinch himself sometimes.

Rich is now 10 games into his much anticipated debut season and is coming off a season-high 25 possessions in Saturday’s win over North Melbourne.

But even with a permanent place in the line-up of the fourth-placed Lions, the No.7 pick in last year’s NAB AFL National Draft said he was still taking nothing for granted.

“I'm lucky enough to just be getting a game each week and living out my dream every weekend so for me every single game I play is exciting,” he said.

“I didn't have many expectations coming in. I didn't have a clue what it was like. Playing senior footy in WA was a step between but here it's your whole life.

“Once you're out there it's just another game of footy but when you're sitting at home I think ‘I'm just 18 and playing AFL’ which is pretty amazing.”

Rich has impressed everyone with his composure and decision making in traffic, and of course that prodigious left foot.

Just like his on-field play, he seems to be just as composed and relaxed off it.

The move across the other side of the country has not fazed him, nor the attention that has surrounded his young career after winning two premierships with Subiaco in the WAFL.

“I'm not the kind of guy that likes a lot of attention,” Rich said.

“The transition has been good. I've got my girlfriend (Justine) over here and the club has got a great set-up. Craig Lambert looks after all the first-year players and has been a big help.

“It (Brisbane) suits our lifestyle. We're both into surfing and it's not always footy, footy, footy over here, but more relaxed and laid back which suits my lifestyle.”

Rich said he has enjoyed the odd surf at famous Gold Coast breaks Snapper Rocks and Duranbah and has lapped up the Brisbane environment, including learning a bit more about rugby league in the process.

The 18-year-old was nominated for the NAB Rising Star award after his round one effort against West Coast and said the step to the big time had not shocked him.

“There's definitely an increase in training and you're doing something every day to make yourself a better footballer,” he said.

“I love all those things involved with footy and trying to improve yourself as a player every day.

“The other big surprise is the amount of support you get. Every game the members and supporters are everywhere and they love it.

“It's been a bit different being at an AFL club and having that increase in support. It gets quite fanatical in WA, but it's fanatical to me here as well because I don't know any different.

“It's not necessarily an AFL city but there's so much support and the members have been great.”

And if you believe in omens, there may just be an award waiting for Rich at the end of his debut season.

The last two NAB Rising Star winners Joel Selwood and Rhys Palmer were taken at No.7 in the National Draft – just like Rich.

richj.jpg

An outstanding effort. BOG for sure. His work ethic is outstanding. To run 50 metres, spoil a mark in the square (and save a certain goal) - then instantly demand the kick in and deliver a perfect 30 metre pass then sprint again to recieve the next kick, and deliver into the forward fifty. It was as good an individual play as I have ever seen. From an 18 year old.

For any player, whether they are a brownlow favourite or have already got one, that play was just pure skill and shows the experience of knowing what position to run to, for an 18 year old to do that, its just bloody freakish.

Should make sure they show that to all players, showing how effort pays off. Wasn't a hugely skillfull pasage of play (although his kick was nice), but it was just good awareness and top effort in everything he did, from the spoil, to pushing into space, to running on to give another option. Simple things that ANY player can do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back