Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Brisbane Lions young gun Daniel Rich a target for Sydney Swans Andrew Hamilton
April 11, 2009 12:00am

THE Lions are on alert for Sydney's attempts to give teenager Daniel Rich a bruising physical examination, with the Swans openly confessing to modelling their approach on the brutal Brisbane premiership sides.

When Chris Judd's career was still in its infancy with the West Coast Eagles, Leigh Matthews used to urge his men to give him no quarter, and the Swans will give Rich similar treatment tonight at the Gabba.

Rich has been a revelation in his two AFL games but as coach Michael Voss pointed out, he has yet to face an opponent which has the Swans ferocious attack at the contests.

"They don't mind coming at you, and that is what you admire about them, there is an element of toughness having been able to do that for a long time," he said.

Voss said he expected the Swans to test out his young charge, but had no doubts Rich would be up for the challenge.

"Daniel is one of those kids who has been exposed to senior football, he's had pretty much every tactic assigned to him and he seems to have taken it in his stride.

"He's added something to our side the last couple of weeks and hopefully he can do the same, but yeah, typical Sydney fashion I wouldn't expect it to be any different."

Rich has looked comfortable among the big bodies in the AFL in his previous two outings, but tonight poses something different - firstly because Sydney pays one-on-one attention to every player, and secondly because they admit to having formed a plan for the youngster.

Assistant coach John Longmire stopped short of admitting the Swans intended to test Rich out physically, but confessed he had featured heavily in pre-game planning.

"We always plan for the opposition players, look at their strengths and weaknesses and try to make the team more aware of their new players," he said.

"We certainly knew a bit about him having watched him at under-18 level, we know how good he is and what he does with the ball.

"Our players have seen a bit of him playing this week and hopefully are prepared for him."

rich.jpg

It will be interesting to see how he goes when placed under more pressure. I think he will thrive (more of a hope actually), but he does have a strong physicality in his game that should help him, and oh yes he is already built like a man.

I reckon they will send Jack to tag him. Not good enough to really tag the elite out, so might get a shot at a rookie.

1. Learn to spell :p

2. Kirk will goto Black. Always has, always will. Great battle that.

fair call,

my spelling mistake of brownlow is very embarresing and there is nothing i can do.

RICH4BROWNLOW***

but i dont see why jack would go to rich,
jack is capable of doing damage himself just as much as rich.

dont see why they would waste jacks talent with a tagging role.

i hope roos decides to let them both run free.

for supercoach sake aswell

i have the biggest man crush on this man!

i dont think jack will go to rich.
he will most likely go to black.

For the teams sake don't go near Rich. :eek:

I don't think they will tag Rich but just look to smash him whenever he has the ball. Black usually gets Kirk, who does a disappointingly good job.

Link

The Lions’ boom draftee Daniel Rich had a quieter night than in his previous two matches but he did ice the home team’s cake with a last-quarter goal, the first of what is promising to be an illustrious career at the highest level.

Interesting to see that 13 kicks, 4 handballs, 11 contested possessions, 5 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal against Sydney in the pouring rain is considered 'a quiet night'. His first 3 games have all been very good.

Link

Interesting to see that 13 kicks, 4 handballs, 11 contested possessions, 5 clearances, 7 tackles and a goal against Sydney in the pouring rain is considered 'a quiet night'. His first 3 games have all been very good.

The contested possessions and 5 clearances are the big ones. 110 champion data points just show how valuable his work is.

We loved his tap on, in one scrimmage, just tapped the ball out and away we went...another scrimmage he soccered the ball out with same result...completely surroundered by other players both times, yet managed to get to the ball..

He really does stand out already:thumbsu:..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

whoever made that comment obviously looked at the stats and didnt watch the game. Rich was one of the cleaner more composed players on the ground in the pouring rain against one of the hardest teams goin around. IMO his rd 3 performance was equally as impressive as any he has given to date.

I have been surprised with his surging speed, i don't know if he is the quickest over 100m but he has a general cruise around speed but then he has the ability to really accelerate with the ball and make great decisions at top speed. That is a real talent.

whoever made that comment obviously looked at the stats and didnt watch the game. Rich was one of the cleaner more composed players on the ground in the pouring rain against one of the hardest teams goin around. IMO his rd 3 performance was equally as impressive as any he has given to date.

I actually thought that this was his most impressive game really. You have a gun on your hands right here. :thumbsu::)

According to today's Inside Football, Rich is currently leading the Lions for tackles and is 9th overall in the entire AFL.

Certainly asks questions of those pundits who questioned his work ethic prior to the draft.

Everyone looks for reasons why their club did not take 'player X'. Heck there are a few threads on this very board;)

As for a dodgy work ethic, safe to say we are happy with what we have seen from Rich thus far:thumbsu:

Rich's team mates are certainly impressed with him. Read what Ash McGrath had to say below, from lions.com.au
http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/74987/default.aspx

Hey Ash, who do you reckon is going to best the best young gun this year?
Jackson from Brisbane (QLD)

All of our young guys have been doing really well, but Daniel Rich has probably made the biggest impact so far.

‘Bam Bam’ has already played a couple years of senior footy back home in WA with Subiaco and has started really well for us this season.

They way he is going, it looks as though he will be a superstar. He’s probably the one to watch.

How has Vossy planned the crucial balance of blooding first-gamers and keeping a well matured side that has played a lot of footy together?
Anthony from Moonee Ponds (VIC)

Most of the boys now have played senior footy together, but if you’re a young bloke and good enough then you will probably get a game.

Like I have already mentioned, Daniel Rich has a mature age body is read-made for senior footy so it’s no surprise he has made the transition pretty well.

Didn't quite pay off last night but Daniel showed that with his cannon of a left foot that he is going to be a goal threat anytime he gets within 60 metres.

Going to be a very valuable weapon for us.

Hopefully Vossy encourages him to use it, especially when the opposition has flooded back giving our forwards no space.

Didn't quite pay off last night but Daniel showed that with his cannon of a left foot that he is going to be a goal threat anytime he gets within 60 metres.

Going to be a very valuable weapon for us.

Hopefully Vossy encourages him to use it, especially when the opposition has flooded back giving our forwards no space.

I think so too, at times during Fri night, he had chances to boot it long for goal but instead chose to spot up a Brown or a Bradshaw which didnt work out well. You cant blame him doing the 1%'ters but I agree Vossy should encourage him to back himself and kick for goal esp seeing the ones he booted from inside the square at training.

I think so too, at times during Fri night, he had chances to boot it long for goal but instead chose to spot up a Brown or a Bradshaw which didnt work out well. You cant blame him doing the 1%'ters but I agree Vossy should encourage him to back himself and kick for goal esp seeing the ones he booted from inside the square at training.

Agreed. Give him a few games for him and the team to grow some confidence. Our players will begin to use his run as he usually gets in the right spot. Then we will have the most desirable of all - an elite, goal kicking mid.

This will give us another dimension, and begin to break our unhealthy reliance / obsession with Brownshaw. And help us with money on him for the Rising Star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back