Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

GC is always about 5 minutes from a mass exedus… what Rioli brings is more than a pimple faced kid that may ask fur a trade 2 years later.
What player has wanted a trade 2 years after drafted at the Suns in recent times? While you're throwing stones you have 3 very good players all wanting to be traded back home or out for better futures. I'd be more worried about your own club atm. The only player Suns have this year going is be traded for a salary dump.

Thank you!
People get so attached to picks!
GC know 100% what they will get with Rioli.
Pick 5 is an unknown.
If a player actually notminate GC, they need to make it work for the sake of their clubs integrity IMO.
Not many good players have been screaming to get up there.

Also how many top picks have GC had?
And how well has that worked out for them?

Yeah I mean look we all love the draft but how many are busts- a lot! Rioli is an A grade player unless you can guarantee pick 5 is the next Reid I’ll take the player I know is elite at the top level.

GC is always about 5 minutes from a mass exedus… what Rioli brings is more than a pimple faced kid that may ask fur a trade 2 years later.
Mate it’s your club the players are abandoning in droves

GC know 100% what they will get with Rioli.
Pick 5 is an unknown.
If a player actually notminate GC, they need to make it work for the sake of their clubs integrity IMO.
Not many good players have been screaming to get up there.

Also how many top picks have GC had?
And how well has that worked out for them?

Also to add to this, they need to back Dimma 100%, if he deems Rioli the right guy it's his nuts on the line. Allow your triple premiership coach to assemble who he wants in the team and in a few years the proof will be in the pudding. They need to be pretty bold with list management decisions and take that next step.

Off topic but you look at Essendon with that absolute cancer Stringer still on the list and he should be made an example of to demonstrate the culture they want to have moving forward.

If we get Pick 5 for Rioli I definitely think it's overs but if that's what it's going to take then that's what will be needed. We have been great with facilitating players requests when out of contract but it's a pretty different situation right now and I think GC are one of the few clubs that can pay overs and have themselves not really lose anything by doing so.

What leadership did Bowes being traded along with pick #7 last year ?
It was getting rid of cap pressure and similar will happen with the Rioli trade , Richmond will cover an amount thats suitable
GC will get the love child of Dimma as well as getting percentage of his salary paid by GC

Last thing GC need are more kids when they have a back yard full of academy kids coming through
They need the Rioli majic
That trade was a joke too. Shouldnt have been allowed

At the end of the day GC need to bring in more experience. They couldn't be happy with this year and more first round kids to sit in the VFL won't help.

Rioli provides gut running and line breaking from the back half and is a good kick. Knows Dimma's game plan as well.

GC should be asking for Vlaustin as well.

That trade was a joke too. Shouldnt have been allowed
That trade is squarely on Craig Cameron’s shoulders, absolute howler of a trade especially when Geelong was allowed to renegotiate Bowes contract, we were assured this type of trading is the way of the future, what a load of Bull shit, Cameron should of been fired

At the end of the day GC need to bring in more experience. They couldn't be happy with this year and more first round kids to sit in the VFL won't help.

Rioli provides gut running and line breaking from the back half and is a good kick. Knows Dimma's game plan as well.

GC should be asking for Vlaustin as well.
I think this is the point that keeps being overloooked.

They seemed to have settled the young draftees, well done but they dont attract mature A graders, not yet anyway. So when a proven gun player with loads of finals experience wants to come, they will make it happen even if it means over paying. Now what that over pay looks like, its any ones guess.

this pick 5 being bandied about is for the rookie draft.
This is Daniel Rioli, not Cyril

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be paying a top 10 pick for a half back flanker. Fair enough if that's what Richmond is asking for, he's contracted so that's their right, but it's one of the easiest positions to fill in the game, so I think it would be foolish for GC to pay that much.

I get the argument that he's an established quality player, but I think that would be more pertinent if he was a KPD that could marshall the troops. Jake Lloyd won 2 Best & Fairests for Sydney playing that role and I don't think he was ever worth a top 10 pick.

We've seen a few players this year - Humphries at the Cats and Roberts at the Swans come to mind - come from nowhere and be prolific in the role Rioli plays.

I wouldn't be paying a top 10 pick for a half back flanker. Fair enough if that's what Richmond is asking for, he's contracted so that's their right, but it's one of the easiest positions to fill in the game, so I think it would be foolish for GC to pay that much.

I get the argument that he's an established quality player, but I think that would be more pertinent if he was a KPD that could marshall the troops. Jake Lloyd won 2 Best & Fairests for Sydney playing that role and I don't think he was ever worth a top 10 pick.

We've seen a few players this year - Humphries at the Cats and Roberts at the Swans come to mind - come from nowhere and be prolific in the role Rioli plays.
I agree FWIW, HB is the easiest, but you could argue Rioli is the most dynamic in the game, very few can do what he dos to the level, and given Dimma relies so heavily on attacking from HB, I can see why he would value what Rioli brings over others.

I agree FWIW, HB is the easiest, but you could argue Rioli is the most dynamic in the game, very few can do what he dos to the level, and given Dimma relies so heavily on attacking from HB, I can see why he would value what Rioli brings over others.
That's a valid argument. What do you mean by the most dynamic though, as compared to say Whitfield, Houston, Dale, Blakey, Zorko or Holmes (and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting)?

That's a valid argument. What do you mean by the most dynamic though, as compared to say Whitfield, Houston, Dale, Blakey, Zorko or Holmes (and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting)?
I dont think any of them have close to his pace, whitfield maybe, but Dans ability to get out of trouble, take blokes on and hit passes at electric pace is unmatched in my humble opinion.

Given GC are pretty stacked with young talent, I think people are overlooking some intangibles with Rioli that Dimma would highly value. Do they need yet another kid? They cant/won't keep them all forever.

What Dan offers them is a big point of difference, premiership and finals experience, an insanely hard worker, leadership, knows Dimma and Dimma knows him, knows the game plan, knows the culture he wants to build. Or gamble on yet another kid their list doesn't really need.

You could say the same about Jordan Clark.
Good call - knew I was forgetting someone.

Blakey's pace definitely goes close to (if it doesn't match) Rioli, and Holmes is probably close to.

I think it was a big call to say that none of them have "close to his pace".

Id take Whitfield, Sinclair, NWM, Clark, Houston, Dale and Blakey over Rioli every single time and im sure theres a bunch of others im forgetting

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back