Darren Burgess

Remove this Banner Ad

There can be no doubt whatsoever Darren Burgess made us a much fitter team capable of running out games. But that team had a lot of natural runners in it whose running potential hadn't yet been tapped because we'd been completely Cam Fallooned.

and in the end overcooked the squad

taking years to refresh

No doubt $$$ is a driver but he split up with his wife Kristy after he got the arse from Arsenal and she and their kids, about 10 and 8 years old, moved back to Adelaide. Its why he wanted out of his contract 6 months ago.

He made Port fast and skinny and then sore and he did the same thing at Melbourne. Best of luck at the crows.

He'll have his work cut out with Dusty Flogarty.

He is pretty good.
I think he suffers from an inability to recognise imperfect real world situations.

The fitness programs he and Mladden set up were great. However they did not account for the need of skill acquisition. This meant that particularly the kicking and running pattern tasks may have produced muscular overload. There is a pretty common belief that once you reach the top flight league, you’re skills should be world class and the most effective gains come from increasing capability (running faster for longer and/or getting stronger). I can’t think of another top grade sporting code with such glaring skill deficiencies than AFL teams.

If he could become the go-to personal trainer for golfers, I think he would have it made!

I still wish him all the best!

At the end of 2014 I thought the sun shone from Burgo's arse. Then Dubai happened. Those who were around at the time will remember Jasper Pittard's diary on the Dubai training camp. From what Jasper was writing the players were being run into the ground and it showed in the following season. in 2014 we were clearly the fittest side in the AFL then either the others caught up in a hurry or we went backward just as fast.

Darren Burgess? I have a feeling that we saw the best of him and the Crows are welcome to him in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt $$$ is a driver but he split up with his wife Kristy after he got the arse from Arsenal and she and their kids, about 10 and 8 years old, moved back to Adelaide. Its why he wanted out of his contract 6 months ago.

She was probably sick of up and moving every 12 months.

At the end of 2014 I thought the sun shone from Burgo's arse. Then Dubai happened. Those who were around at the time will remember Jasper Pittard's diary on the Dubai training camp. From what Jasper was writing the players were being run into the ground and it showed in the following season. in 2014 we were clearly the fittest side in the AFL then either the others caught up in a hurry or we went backward just as fast.

Darren Burgess? I have a feeling that we saw the best of him and the Crows are welcome to him in 2022.
I recall us losing late games in the 2015/2016 season and us fans were i suppose being hopefull by palming it off as a "heavy training load" to get us prepped for finals... only we didn't make finals, coz the players were probably cooked. Good luck to the Crows.

Yeah high performance managers that get their team to perform at a high level are pretty overrated. Also he ended Boaks career even though Boak thinks he can play till 40.

The guy is very good at what he does. but I'd take someone slightly less good, with less of a reputation, who will actually stick around.

Yeah high performance managers that get their team to perform at a high level are pretty overrated.

Has he ever really done this though? I mean over and above what’s expected.

He cost us a lot of money and didn’t really deliver much more than “we can run out games better than other teams” for approximately half a season. Throw in the business opportunities the club set up for him that he ditched as soon as a fat wallet was waved in a premier comp somewhere, and his reputation-exceeds-output quotient starts to look decidedly meh.

He cost us a lot of money and didn’t really deliver much more than “we can run out games better than other teams” for approximately half a season. Throw in the business opportunities the club set up for him that he ditched as soon as a fat wallet was waved in a premier comp somewhere, and his reputation-exceeds-output quotient starts to look decidedly meh.
Burgo got a lot of kudos for a spike in our performance which was mostly attributed to new coach syndrome and coming from a low base under the Primus years.

Fast forward 2 years to 2015 and the players were cooked by round 3.

His wacky theories about how much weekly running top-flight soccer players can do in training and multiple matches, and using that as justification to overcook AFL players, haven’t paid dividends anywhere.

The prime example of this was when Chad Wingard missed almost all of that brutal 2015 preseason which included another camp in Abu Dhabi, only to run out the season looking like a spring lamb — earning AA honours to boot — while most of his teammates looked like Cliffy Young shuffling along a highway at 3am.

This discussion could be very different if we'd kicked straight in the '14 prelim ...
Indeed, but did his excess running regime mean we didn't spend enough time practicing the most useful skill in footy, kicking goals? We will never know.

Burgo has pluses and minuses and people will argue their position on each of them based on their biases. I never bought the he over cooked us thinking. IMO he forgot it is a combat sport and the oppo worked us out, their thinking was - make it a stoppage game against Port, don't let them run, fatigue them with lots of bash and crash at stoppages, so that when we win the ball, they have to chase us fatigued. When that happened the players no longer bought the bullshit that we are so much fitter than everyone else and the mental edge of 2013 and 2014 was lost.

A week ago I saw another photo gallery the club put up on the website of the guys doing a hard gym session. I thought to myself, we didn't get many of these type of photos in the Burgo era. Is this driven by Mackers??

The 2 best things Burgo did, after making sure the players were all fit enough to run out a game and a season after 4 years of being unfit, were 1) employing Ian Mckeown as his strength and conditioning coach when he returned at the end of 2012, and 2) set up the Burgo academy and stuff with Uni's so that we would attract PHD candidates like Stu Graham and others and have a ready made stream of potential replacements.

If we win a flag, or even back to back, clubs will come after Ian and Stu, but hopefully the soft cap means they can't offer them a grandfather offer and pinch them. Stopping North American sports and Euro soccer clubs is another thing.

Mackers regime has seen us put on size and strength the last 3 years or so, so that we are more than skinny middle distance runners who can run all day. We have players who can run and are strong enough for the combat phase of the game.

Last edited:
He made Lobbe look like a decent footballer for a year. I remember that much, simply based on his fitness level, he could get to twice as many contests as Normal

has he ever seen out a contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren Burgess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back