News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish he played for Essendon. Not being a hero here but I had gone out that night and got right on it. Woke up in the afternoon flicked the radio on and couldn't believe it.
A mans man Pants, sorely missed.
If he had played for Bombers we would've missed seeing him give Greg Anderson a bath:)

The news came through early that a famous footballer had been killed in a car accident. A fellow magpie supporter who I worked with looked at me and said " I bet it's Millane" Sure enough ...an hour or so later it was confirmed. Marvelous footballer...one of the best 5 to wear the colors that I've seen. Terrible waste. I think it took the club 10 years to recover

I think it's wonderful that his number was retired. In this commercial age of football it's good to see some soul in the game ...

... BUT ...

... What is the statute of limitations on these things?

Imagine if we'd permanently retired the number 20 of Paddy Rowan - a magnificent and charasmatic footballer - who died in his footy prime on the Somme in WWI fighting for King and country ... What would we think of that in 2016?

Imagine if we'd permanently retired the number 17 of the the great Jock McHale when he passed? Where does it end?

IMHO 25 years for Millane is long enough. Players are temporary custodians of the number they are issued, simply minding the legend of their number to keep it intact for the next generation. Time for a new generation to wear the number 42.

The Darren Millane story is a sad one. He was a wonderful footballer. It was appropriate that his number was retired for a period of time. Ensure his picture is up amongst the Parthenon of the greats in the Holden Centre. But time for the number 42 to go back into circulation.

(Yes, I know 42 is in the hands of the Millane family - but Ed should never have given it away. That number belongs to the club)
This post sums up my feelings perfectly. Darren Millane will always be one of my favourites, but the number does belong to the club, and after 25 years of paying homage to a champ, it's time to reclaim it.

How about each club captain assumes the No.42 ? No need to wreak havoc with records etc... as they retain their regular number but wear 42 "on loan" as an honour for the period of the captaincy. Sorta like the "yellow jersey".

Not sure if the AFL could veto something like that? May well be impractical but I like it anyway :$

Last edited:
I was a kid, 10 years old. Darren Millane was my favorite player since I had started watching footy. I remember getting my first Collingwood jumper, big, heavy woolen thing from my Dad and I asked him who should my favorite player be? He said Darren Millane so I got 42 on my back and that was that. Being 10 at the time I didn't fully comprehend death at that stage. I thought it only happened to old people. My parents were in tears telling me because I lived and breathed Darren Millane, I worshipped the ground he walked on... I could not believe it, I said no way he is dead. He's too tough, he's too strong. He will come back, he will wake up again. :(

This post sums up my feelings perfectly. Darren Millane will always be one of my favourites, but the number does belong to the club, and after 25 years of paying homage to a champ, it's time to reclaim it.
I agree. I think it would add some bite to the team. If anyone watched the Banks interview with Sheehan.. that was one hell of an emotional interview when Sheehan asked questions to Banks about the great man. I still watch YouTube clips from time to time of Millane.

Brilliant read in the paper yesterday. I was too young to appreciate how good of a player he actually was so reading this and also stories from other posters shows just how good he was and how much potential he had.

He was just about to hit his peak and just maturing, which made it all the more tragic. He honestly had the biggest presence of anyone I have ever seen, on field or off field. Larger than life, which still makes it so surreal that his life was cut so short...

He was just about to hit his peak and just maturing, which made it all the more tragic. He honestly had the biggest presence of anyone I have ever seen, on field or off field. Larger than life, which still makes it so surreal that his life was cut so short...
Unique.
Ripped the heart out of the club.

How about each club captain assumes the No.42 ? No need to wreak havoc with records etc... as they retain their regular number but wear 42 "on loan" as an honour for the period of the captaincy. Sorta like the "yellow jersey".

Not sure if the AFL could veto something like that? May well be impractical but I like it anyway :$

It was once tradition that the Collingwood captain would wear the number 1.

That only ended in the 70's, Ray Shaw IIRC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't alive when Millane was killed (i came along 6 months later in March 1992) but in my little hobby as a historian i have collected loads and loads of VHS tapes with news reports about him and a few games he is a dead set legend he visited sick kids disabled people and the elderly (i think he visited the elderly anyway?) and even took them to the footy, Not only that but his Dad said on the tribute VHS that Darren visited a boy who had leukaemia and kept visiting him for 6 months until he died. i have a tonne of respect for him for that. And he was one hell of a player i say keep 42 in the Millane family

Can't believe some of the comments on the online article. People have no respect for the dead. Yeah he shouldn't have been driving. But the anniversary of his death is not the time to be pi$$ing on him.

Would love it if the family released his number and for it to go for our first named player in the draft so that 35 can go to Daicos.
My biggest concern with that is seeing some kid running around wearing No 42 and being scared of his own shadow. I think the number means too much to the club now and I'll be happy to see it remain retired. If the Daicos kid wants 35, give it to him. Its hardly a long standing tradition to give the 35 to the first draftee. I doubt any supporters would have an issue

Remove this Banner Ad

News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back