News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

My biggest concern with that is seeing some kid running around wearing No 42 and being scared of his own shadow. I think the number means too much to the club now and I'll be happy to see it remain retired. If the Daicos kid wants 35, give it to him. Its hardly a long standing tradition to give the 35 to the first draftee. I doubt any supporters would have an issue
I still think it is a good idea to put it back into play.
If things weren't so iffy with Williams he would be a good candidate or as others have suggested Maynard even Adams.

I still think it is a good idea to put it back into play.
If things weren't so iffy with Williams he would be a good candidate or as others have suggested Maynard even Adams.

I disagree Maggie5 no player in my time watching football has come close to Pants in regards to prescence on the field.

For me the number is Millane...............and Millane only.

I wish he played for Essendon. Not being a hero here but I had gone out that night and got right on it. Woke up in the afternoon flicked the radio on and couldn't believe it.
A mans man Pants, sorely missed.
Nice of you to say but he wouldn't have been the same, he was a team man and couldn't see him being that enthused about playing with your mob...lol

First of all would you be calling him Pants
If he had played for Bombers we would've missed seeing him give Greg Anderson a bath:)
Don't forget.........Best shirt front ever playing Essendon on Werner , one step, Gonski.

October 7 I think, will be 25 years.
Great tragedy for family... Message is there in this terrible time.....

Can not get left unsaid, drink driving can be horrific consequences.

Hed actually been put in a taxi and sent home earlier in the evening. Then decided he still wanted to party, drove back into the city and back to the club and partied some more. And then the accident happened on the way home....it was literallly an accident waiting to happen. Ego and alcohol (drugs????) clouded his judgement. Somebody tried to look after him by originally sending him home but you cant babysit people.

Last edited:
Millane was a premiership player who died in a car crash in the prime of his playing career.

It was entirely appropriate to retire his number for a period out of respect.

But it's now been 25 years. 25 years!!! Enough

I was very young when it happened and it was the saddest day of my life at that time (had many worse ones since). Couldn't really believe it for a while and then was just in shock for days. Heard it on the radio and they were talking about only being able to identify him by the 1990 premiership tatt on his ankle. He was the spiritual leader of the club and we've had no one like him since. Happy for the number to be retired for as long as the family want it to be but if it was to be reused it could help us embrace his memory, which as been suppressed to a large degree due to family wishes. He was a true Collingwood champion.

After watching the copeland I can't see 42 returning to the field while his mum's still alive, just seemed very raw. The club has it right respecting the families wishes.

I was very young when it happened and it was the saddest day of my life at that time (had many worse ones since). Couldn't really believe it for a while and then was just in shock for days. Heard it on the radio and they were talking about only being able to identify him by the 1990 premiership tatt on his ankle. He was the spiritual leader of the club and we've had no one like him since. Happy for the number to be retired for as long as the family want it to be but if it was to be reused it could help us embrace his memory, which as been suppressed to a large degree due to family wishes. He was a true Collingwood champion.

That's not entirely true about only being able to identify him by the tattoo the story (according to the book "Pants" anyway) goes that Gubby Allen wasn't sure/didn't want to believe that it was Darren so he and Mccallister asked the morgue attendant to lower the sheet to the Tattoo and there it was the proof that it was Pants

What gets me though is the way Darren's dad found out on the radio while he was at work according to the HS lift out in August surely there's some law prohibiting media outlets from releasing the name of any prominent person killed until ALL the family have been told

ETA: did the flog who stole from his car after the crash get any sort of punishment? seriously stealing from a dead guy is low

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember hearing on the radio that a high profile player had died in a car accident. Don't know why ( probably the party boy image) but the first name that came to my mind was Brereton
Yeah Brereton would spring to mind at first because of his "party hard" activities but Millane loved a good party as well it was a different time Millane sounds like he'd have been a blast to hang out with!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Darren Millane 25 year anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back