News Davey 'reconsidering his position'

Remove this Banner Ad

People realise when you are dealing with foot injuries you tend to struggle to run fast right?

Besides we could use a guy that can hit a target by foot.
The injury would have slowed him down but It is about looking forward and the odds of Davey getting his speed back are pretty slim as he approaches 30 now. I get the feeling pre-season would be a big ask of him and his physical pressure was terrible this year in any case.

Channel 7 saying Shannon Byrnes likely heading our way.

I'd be happy with Brynes. We're in desperate need for a decent small forward. If it weren't for Geelong having a plethora of good small/medium forwards (Stokes, Johnson, Chrstiansen, Motlop AND Byrnes) then he'd get a game.

We're going to be shit regardless, we may as well do it right and a 28 year old isn't the way to go.

He'd play a development role in the same vein as the senior players at GWS. One of the resounding complaints on this board is the weakness of our senior playing group. Well, we're going after a dual premiership player to fill that void, as well as the void of a small forward. Seems to make sense to me.

We're going to be shit regardless, we may as well do it right and a 28 year old isn't the way to go.
With the number of spots on our list to fill, so I'd rather have a player that I know is capable of playing senior football next year, than some speculative kid who could be a list clogger.

The Bailey method of hording draft picks hasn't worked. I'm all for using maybe our first 4 picks on kids, and the rest on recycled AFL or players from the state comps if they can address a need.

With the number of spots on our list to fill, so I'd rather have a player that I know is capable of playing senior football next year, than some speculative kid who could be a list clogger.

The Bailey method of hording draft picks hasn't worked. I'm all for using maybe our first 4 picks on kids, and the rest on recycled AFL or players from the state comps if they can address a need.
Byrne's is a free-agent and I doubt he'll cost much.

Byrne's is a free-agent and I doubt he'll cost much.

Exactly, I see no downside to getting him. We need professional people at the club, we need a small forward, it won't cost us. Deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like Davey to play on for us this year. He was my favourite player when he first came to the club, a lot has changed, but he has been a great club men for us, and even though he is on the way out, i'd still think he deserves to play out his contract.

I'd like Davey to play on for us this year. He was my favourite player when he first came to the club, a lot has changed, but he has been a great club men for us, and even though he is on the way out, i'd still think he deserves to play out his contract.

He'll most likely end up playing it out at Casey if he manages to stay injury-free next year. Had a great run, then got injured badly and just cannot shake a tag whatsoever. It's sad because he was fantastic, but he hasn't shown much for a long, long time and too often we've let a player hang around on our list because of something they've done in the past (looking at you Newton).

Why the hell would anyone be pissed at us getting Byrnes?

Comes from an ELITE WINNING culture. Has a great attitude. Can kick a goal. Experienced and can mentor our younger guys in the mids. Not to mention he would come cheaply.

Exactly the type of player we need MORE of....

Shannon Byrnes? Seriously? God this club pisses me off, I'd rather go take another chance on Wonaeamirri.

Rep for the part about bringing back Aussie :D

9631_W33.gif

He may be a great clubman, but he doesn't have any good football left in him. I'd prefer he bow out gracefully this year and let us spend the money on Byrnes. Davey looks like he's hating everything these days. He's as cooked as any player I've seen in recent times.

Neeld seems pretty keen on Davey to stay, so he must still have something to offer. He is under contract so I say give him a big pre-season and hope to high jeebus he delivers next year

Neeld seems pretty keen on Davey to stay, so he must still have something to offer. He is under contract so I say give him a big pre-season and hope to high jeebus he delivers next year
He'd better, another season like the last couple will see his legacy all but erased. I can accept that a player loses their touch, speed or confidence as they get older, but what's disappointed me is that Davey looks like he doesn't even want to be out there anymore. He's always got an angry look on his face, doesn't tackle or run anymore. If he hangs around for another year of what he's dished up recently, I'll lose all respect for him.

He'd better, another season like the last couple will see his legacy all but erased. I can accept that a player loses their touch, speed or confidence as they get older, but what's disappointed me is that Davey looks like he doesn't even want to be out there anymore. He's always got an angry look on his face, doesn't tackle or run anymore. If he hangs around for another year of what he's dished up recently, I'll lose all respect for him.

Hopefully this is the kind of stuff Neeld just tells him straight out so he can cop it on the chin and get on with it. Neeld may have a role for him that will simplify the game and allow him to enjoy playing again, instead of worrying about getting 30 possessions every week

Remove this Banner Ad

News Davey 'reconsidering his position'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back