David Hale, take a bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 22, 2009
LOL @ Norf
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GeeLOL sucks, so does $hitney
I'm the first to admit that I've never been much of a fan of Hale's ruckwork and I've often been one of "those guys" calling for Bailey to play #1 ruck in his stead. (under the view that we can't play both in the same team)

Well, tonight I was simply proven wrong about David Hale. He was magnificent in the second half. Great tapwork, excellent tackling & pressure for a big man and kicked a couple of important goals himself.

That's got to be very close to the best game he's played for our club -given the importance of the occasion- and he's earned my sincere apology for anything I may have said about his ruckwork in the past. David Hale I was wrong! :D

His first half tonight was average to be kind. Second half excellent.

Until I see him kick goals in a GF he is not forgiven for his 1st quarter miss last year.
Agreed.

He needs Bailey to play as first ruck to be of any use himself. He simply isn't a first ruck. But we knw that. What pisses me off the most are his misses at goal.

Tonight, especially in the second half, he was outstanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whenever I doubt Hale's value to the team I reflect back on that period in 09-10 when we didn't have a player on our list that could take a contested mark. I felt so helpless when we would bomb to packs and be completely ineffectual. Contested marks win matches. When you know you can kick to a pack and 1 in 4 or 5 times a guy like Hale will take it and launch an attack your entire structure become more potent. On this basis alone Hale deserves kudos and his spot in the team.

Whenever I doubt Hale's value to the team I reflect back on that period in 09-10 when we didn't have a player on our list that could take a contested mark. I felt so helpless when we would bomb to packs and be completely ineffectual. Contested marks win matches. When you know you can kick to a pack and 1 in 4 or 5 times a guy like Hale will take it and launch an attack your entire structure become more potent. On this basis alone Hale deserves kudos and his spot in the team.
If he doesn't mark it he at least brings it to ground. Great game tonight. Reckon he is hugely underrated on this board. Being a great recruit for shore.

Was one of the Best performances by a hawthorn ruckman since Salmon. To play his career best game in such an important final was huge for us.

I've ever seen him play with that much intensity.

Even though his first half didn't get him the rewards, he was hard at it, in and under when he needed to be and running fatty Mumford into the ground.

Was seriously huge last night, effort after effort after effort.

What a wonderful game by Hale. I thought his ruck work was good but no better than usual. What really stood out for me was his intensity and second efforts, continually beating Sydney midfielders to the loose ball and tying it up or getting out a quick handball.

The way he played really screamed out to me "this guy wants a premiership". The same could be said about Lake (and well, the rest of the team really).

I have found myself defending him on too many occasions and last night it was brilliant that no one could really argue about the value he added. His second half was top-shelf.

Bailey's biggest TOG for the year. One of Hale's smallest.

When Bailey manages to see out decent time in the ruck, Hale isn't exhausted by 3/4 time.

Amazing what effect having two fit bigmen makes to their effectiveness.

Cox + Naitanui as a combination are incredible. Either one is very good with someone else. By themselves, they get beaten.

More than any other role, Ruckmen work as a team.

Sydney have one of the best set-ups, with the capability to run multiple players through the position, up forward, and rest to the bench. Last night they went in a runner short, their talls were forced to stay on the ground longer, and all under-performed.

If Mummy and Pyke got more rest, if Tippett had a stint onball to get away from Lake...if, if, IF.

Selection and team balance is incredibly under-rated by us outside the circle.

Oh, and as a card-carrying member of the Hale is over-rated crowd, I was very impressed with his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Hale, take a bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back