David King's turn of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's been quite well documented that David King has had little trouble finding the pill in previous weeks, and was the only shining light with Adam Simpson in our loss to Brisbane.

David King
Round 3 v Carlton
5 Kicks
2 H/Balls
1 Mark

Round 4 v Sydney
8 Kicks
0 H/Balls
2 Marks

Then over the last Month David King has demonstrated form that gave Laidley his only smile even after a 92 point win, saying his career doesn't have to finnish in 2004;

Round 5 v St Kilda
12 Kicks
8 H/Balls
4 Marks

Round 6 v Western Bulldogs
16 Kicks
5 H/Balls
5 Marks

Round 7 v Brisbane
22 Kicks
3 H/Balls
11 Marks

Round 8 v Port Adelaide
18 Kicks
3 H/Balls
8 Marks
1 Goal

I just feel 'Kingy' has really become comfortable now with his new role at the club, as a utility type player that provides good long fast entry which was questioned by posters in previous weeks, but showed purpose with Sav Rocca at Full Forward, and that one kick from CHB that landed in the F50 in the hands of Rocca was absolute class.

Am I okay in saying Kingy is in form, and can play on, and should play on from the latest form we've seen?

As Bible said - as long as he's playing good footy and beating his opponent, then he can play for a few more years yet. Maybe an exaggeration, but I think it sums up the argument perfectly :)

Originally posted by moomba
I reckon leave that decision until the end of the year. A lot can happen between then and now.
Agreed. Will Kingy still have the desire to put his body through another preseason?

Full credit to Kingy though. I wrote him off after watching the Sydney game and even in the Doggies game there were some ordinary signs. I'm happy that Kingy that he's playing some good footy, but wouldn't mind seeing him go out on a high and not have him, Arch and Stevo go in the same year.

Although not part of the "official" leadership group, i think it is this area Kingy still contributes strongly, and probably makes up for his form being lower than previous years.

You'd hate to play against him thou wouldn't you? Great sledger.

I think he is coming to terms with his limitations as a footballer of his age. He was previously playing in denial and trying to be the King of old.

He is actually very fortunate, he was blessed with a ton of speed when he was younger and now that he has slowed down in his golden age he is not that slow compared to other ageing players.

He just has to rely on his experience more than his speed.

I haven't got the stats with me, but I remember reading a couple of weeks ago that he was around 255-260 games in total (including Pre-season, state & International), which would mean that should he play say 20 odd games this year (bearing in mind he played 1 Wizza, potentially 22 H&A and hopefully finals), then he would be withing striking reach of qualifying for automatic AFL life membership next year...

I think his form turned around when he moved back to the half back flank and stayed there for the entire game.

I forgot how well he reads the play from back there.

Has been really good since his really bad game where he looked like he couldn't move..

Onya Kingy..

Agree with Laidley- long as Kingy is playing well, and too instructions or whatever, then he can keep playing (unless he is 92..)

Go Roos

Originally posted by Rooboy 34
I haven't got the stats with me, but I remember reading a couple of weeks ago that he was around 255-260 games in total (including Pre-season, state & International), which would mean that should he play say 20 odd games this year (bearing in mind he played 1 Wizza, potentially 22 H&A and hopefully finals), then he would be withing striking reach of qualifying for automatic AFL life membership next year...

yeah...I agree...

And if I were him, I'd be crazy NOT to play another season...why not...we need those watchdogs on the track to spark us up.
He's speed has been talked about for the past few seasons...it's what he does when he goes GUNG HO at the ball that I really enjoy about him.. we need that kinda mongrel onfield presence to lead the way as the likes of Shagga, Simmo and to lesser extent Corey Jones don't do this much. :(

definietly in the leadership grp i think its was during the brisbane game when i spotted him waving his arms madly pointing at players to pick up there men etc.

he didnt have enough arms to tell everyone but it was a good sign, and jyds message from the weekend really hit home he mentions it every time he is interviewed since that game.

Watching King burst out of the defensive 50 with the ball in one arm after a heavy congestion was amazing. Settle him down back for the next 24 months if he can keep performing. Right now he is easy starting 22 for me.

Kingy is a big bloke as well, for a hbflanker, 90 something kilos which allows him to break tackles, which in turn breaks up the play. He is very encouraging to the younger players and at training the few times i've been he had taken Trotter under his wing. I'd love to see him stick around to pass on the batton to blokes like Trotter and Urch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by stevo10
Kingy is a big bloke as well, for a hbflanker, 90 something kilos which allows him to break tackles, which in turn breaks up the play. He is very encouraging to the younger players and at training the few times i've been he had taken Trotter under his wing. I'd love to see him stick around to pass on the batton to blokes like Trotter and Urch.

I agree stevo10, North need ppl like Kingy to pass on that aggressive flair style on...glad to hear that you've seen Trotter has been taken under Kingy's guidance. I've heard so much on Urch on these threads that makes me wonder what's holding JYD back from including him as one of the five interchange to push his encouragement along as Grima has been given some oppportunity ??

Originally Posted by benno87
Watching King burst out of the defensive 50 with the ball in one arm after a heavy congestion was amazing. Settle him down back for the next 24 months if he can keep performing. Right now he is easy starting 22 for me.

Summed it up for me benno. It was great to be yelling out "GO KINGY.........GOOOOO KINGYYYYYYYY" as he stormed out of defence.............setting up another forward assault. His long kicking to a target was so good to see. He's much better with a couple of big targets up front................Sav and Dish, and it was a reminder of how attractive our fast flowing best footy can be!

Remove this Banner Ad

David King's turn of form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back