David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call the big problem with Port is that people are in the wrong positions, doing the wrong jobs.
Koch is good with money
Hinkly is a good player manager
Their ego as such won't allow them to get out of the road and allow those with the talent to do their jobs.
Simply put their egos are destroying this club.
Our ownership structure essentially makes us like the public service.

Everyone has tenure and rises to the level of their incompetence.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our ownership structure essentially makes us like the public service.

Big corporations do the same thing. It's the "Peter Principle" or something like that.

The lack of horizontal promotion is an issue. I think that in Brazil it's even forbidden, but it has been 15 years since I stopped practicing Law.

Chewey, the data is football and what is public knowledge about the club. Just connect the dots. We can always pinpoint good stuff about anyone, including Stalin. That's beyond the point.

Conmen are great sellers, but time goes against them. It's all smoke and mirrors. That's the AFL world.

I really want to be in the wrong here, but, unfortunately, I am afraid the cons outweight the pros in our case. One simply doesn't get "kochisized" without costs. The bill will come eventually.

So what you're explicitly telling me here is that you're looking at the on-field data and using that to form your opinions about what the Board are doing off the field. That's not too far akin from eating an apple but judging an orange on what it might taste like because you had an apple.

My opinions on what the Board have done off the field have nothing to do with what they're selling. It's strictly based on my analysis of the numbers.

The debt levels are near zero.
The revenue levels are at record highs.
They have multiple million dollar plus sponsors locked in for the next 3-5 years.
Alberton has just had its high performance centre renovated and they are in the process of developing other parts of it including the Bowls Club, which will no doubt increase further revenue.
The long term vision is to have a retail hub between Alberton Oval and Port road (they've already started acquiring the land) which will house medical facilities, most likely an MG dealership and other retail - which will secure the financial future of the Club.

I certainly don't have rose coloured glasses on - but I cannot see based on the above information how Koch is suddenly going to screw the Club over in terms of the off-field ventures he has been a part of. The money is not suddenly going to dry up whilst he's there.

Yeah, he's done a good job off field but he's lost all that goodwill and more by poking members directly in the eye as an unelected President and completely screwing up the footy department for the last 7-8 years. That along with no willingness to publicly commit to giving control back to the members it seeds discontent and doubt in the members/supporters. I'd also like it if he sold us more instead of under selling us, we are a massive club, in global sport terms, not just in Australia.

If there's a good working relationship brewing between him and Warren where he has someone with a clue reporting on the FD then maybe we've inadvertently hit on the best of both worlds moving forwards, I'm OK with that.

He's made plenty of gaffes and should rightly be held to the coals about them. You also make a great point about member control. I personally hope that this is something Warren addresses in the next 2 years of his tenure on the Board (I think getting the footy department back on course is the most pertinent issue this off-season).

You've hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph.

So what you're explicitly telling me here is that you're looking at the on-field data and using that to form your opinions about what the Board are doing off the field. That's not too far akin from eating an apple but judging an orange on what it might taste like because you had an apple.

My opinions on what the Board have done off the field have nothing to do with what they're selling. It's strictly based on my analysis of the numbers.

The debt levels are near zero.
The revenue levels are at record highs.
They have multiple million dollar plus sponsors locked in for the next 3-5 years.
Alberton has just had its high performance centre renovated and they are in the process of developing other parts of it including the Bowls Club, which will no doubt increase further revenue.
The long term vision is to have a retail hub between Alberton Oval and Port road (they've already started acquiring the land) which will house medical facilities, most likely an MG dealership and other retail - which will secure the financial future of the Club.

I certainly don't have rose coloured glasses on - but I cannot see based on the above information how Koch is suddenly going to screw the Club over in terms of the off-field ventures he has been a part of. The money is not suddenly going to dry up whilst he's there.

He's made plenty of gaffes and should rightly be held to the coals about them. You also make a great point about member control. I personally hope that this is something Warren addresses in the next 2 years of his tenure on the Board (I think getting the footy department back on course is the most pertinent issue this off-season).

You've hit the nail on the head with your last paragraph.

Quick question, Chewy. You’ve mentioned an MG dealership, just wondering how long is that deal with MG?

Quick question, Chewy. You’ve mentioned an MG dealership, just wondering how long is that deal with MG?
MG came on board in February 2020 for 5 years. They have paid extra for the naming rights for the new high performance facility.

They will re-sign for either 3 or 4 or 5 years and the naming rights and sponsorship rights period will cover the same period for both contracts.

MG came on board in February 2020 for 5 years. They have paid extra for the naming rights for the new high performance facility.

They will re-sign for either 3 or 4 or 5 years and the naming rights and sponsorship rights period will cover the same period for both contracts.

Ok that’s makes sense by putting an MG dealership if they here for the long term.

Last edited:
Koch can jam all his fancy deals and sponsors id rather be the old ruthless successful port Adelaide just scraping by financially but rich in heart and passion and history that does not accept mediocrity
(yes i know we are in the afl now but it doesn't mean we have to change our vision)
that has a fan base like no other and a playing group that doesn't necessarily win every game but puts all they have into every game win lose or draw they leave it all on the field
that knob jockey is changing our club to what he wants it to be (financially stable and mediocre)
this year has drained so much passion out of me im nearly done
It's not port Adelaide any more its what he wants it to be
You can play NTUA and sell the bars guernsey as much as you want and make false promises Koch but I see right through your bullsh*t if you gave a damn about our club you'd make the tough calls that need to be made you wouldn't worry about losing a couple players if you sack the coach your weak and incompetent in your position hard truth is matey the club is divided it is torn apart
Its embarrassing that we've had so many greats build this club and its history through all those years to have a pen pusher like you completely change it to your vision to what you want if you gave a sh*t about port adelaide you would sack ken, clean out the no hopers and rebuild a coaching team with vision and structure that demands success and leaves no stone unturned to get it

Come on REH, tell the new posters the whole story.

Don’t leave out the part where Koch almost screwed the MG project before it got started.

Then tell us about the Redevelopment, which was KT’s dream to begin with … how we were promised $20,000,000 by China for it as at early 2018 … how Richo was pissed off with Koch for announcing the big secret the week before Labor lost the election … how Richo took up the project after KT had been carried kicking and protesting out of his corner office … how Richo learnt from the China Strategy how to get a huge project set up, how to make it grow in all directions, how to secure the club’s financial future by turning to real estate investment.

All these kudos going to Koch make me feel … sick.

Last edited:
Chewy316 I'd argue that the most important off field achievement is to get governance powers back to the members, which we've now even fallen behind the clowns at. Do you see this changing soon? Who is the key roadblock to this?

I'm not denying it is important. But in the context of time, the Crows don't have the option to be member controlled until 2028, so that's the earliest Port could conceivably do it.

Which means it should rightly be put on the back burner for the time being whilst the footy department goes under some drastic changes in the coming months.

And once that is sorted, I'm in full support of the member control becoming the biggest issue front and centre that the Board need to address.

I would like to throw this question out there to our esteemed old fogeys who have done a lot for the club.

With regard to Koch or even just the PAFC itself, are our recent fortune based in good busine practice or what it just a time when the AFL just seemed to explode in revenue and coverage and money and sponsorship jut became much easier with TV money and thing like that.

It is not like we are the only club doing well. Everyone apart from a few here and there are raking in the money. The AFL for the last decade or so in just a cash cow.

So my basic question is did the PAFC just ride the money and largesse that came into the AFL in the last few years or did the PAFC and Koch or others do some real work and got us ahead by their hard work.

There are conflicting reports on this site.

Thank you in advance.

Come on REH, tell the new posters the whole story.

Don’t leave out the part where Koch almost screwed the MG project before it got started.

Then tell us about the Redevelopment, which was KT’s dream to begin with … how we were promised $20,000,000 by China for it as at early 2018 … how Richo was pissed off with Koch for announcing the big secret the week before Labor lost the election … how Richo took up the project after KT had been carried kicking and protesting out of his corner office … how Richo learnt from the China Strategy how to get a huge project set up, how to make it grow in all directions, how to secure the club’s financial future by turning to real estate investment.

All these kudos going to Koch make me feel … sick.
Appreciate your posts, LR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't need to look further than myself. I am not many people. I am one. There are positives in my life for sure, but I know that it's not OK, because there are parts which are really bad. They go together. They affect one another.

Now, going back to Port, I am not looking at results at all. I can tolerate bad results, if there are signs that things will turn later on (e.g., if there's a focus on groundwork). Moreover, good results can hide a lot of wrong things – which is not even our case.

Our football department works based on toxic relationships, in which the good of the club is secondary. Do you deny that? Do you think they are exceptions? I don't. I have many reasons to believe that it's actually the rule. Port is not many clubs. It's one, and we have witnessed that in action many times already.

Big corporations do the same thing. It's the "Peter Principle" or something like that.

The lack of horizontal promotion is an issue. I think that in Brazil it's even forbidden, but it has been 15 years since I stopped practicing Law.

Practicing? You mean you weren't a real lawyer? :oops:

I don't need to look further than myself. I am not many people. I am one. There are positives in my life for sure, but I know that it's not OK, because there are parts which are really bad. They go together. They affect one another.

Now, going back to Port, I am not looking at results at all. I can tolerate bad results, if there are signs that things will turn later on (e.g., if there's a focus on groundwork). Moreover, good results can hide a lot of wrong things – which is not even our case.

Our football department works based on toxic relationships, in which the good of the club is secondary. Do you deny that? Do you think they are exceptions? I don't. I have many reasons to believe that it's actually the rule. Port is not many clubs. It's one, and we have witnessed that in action many times already.

Maybe we bandy terms like 'toxic relationships' around too freely? None of us really know how the main players at the PAFC regard each other. Maybe the problem is the opposite? Maybe these guys get along too well and there is a boys club with it's members reluctant to cut their under performing mates adrift? Koch obviously sees something in Hinkley that the average supporter does not see and this could be fueled by the closeness of their relationship. If Koch were more objective in his attitude toward the Coach he would not have re appointed Hinkley before the end of the 2023 season. Koch and Hinkley have coexisted at Alberton for over a decade and every time Koch is asked about Hinkley he is never critical. I would like to think the Coach is on notice at the very least but due to a lack of transparency from David Koch we don't know.

I pose a few questions but that seems to go with the territory these days.

None of us really know how the main players at the PAFC regard each other.

Yes, I may be exaggerating. However, we know that people there have businesses together in other areas. APPARENTLY, this has been affecting judgement in certain decisions — particularly those that reason alone is incapable of understanding.

Holly’s appointment to the board; Cardone’s appointment to the board; those are examples of appointments who don’t have the benefit of the doubt. Without actual strong convincing arguments on why they were made, the assumption should be that they were made not for the good of the club, but for that of the interests of the chairman.

The fact that the club depicts the happy-clappers as quintessential Port Adelaide supporters, intentionally tries to shut down any disagreeing voice through a well-connected network on the media, and have either let true Port Adelaide people leave or not welcomed them in, it is all also a sign of alert.

So, again, I may be exaggerating, but there's all that.

Last edited:
I think the overarching theme of Koch' tenure apart from a lack of accountability and the boys club is this:

1. poor decision making
2. holding on to that poor decision
3. the fans getting angry at the poor decision
4. the propaganda story and media help and if desperate Rucci or Kane
5. the fans anger turned to chronic mocking of the poor decision
6. intransigence of the highest degree and holding on no matter what
7. attacking the fans
8. that poor decision impacting the team and the image of Ken and Koch and the board
9. the poor decision being changed in the night and never to be heard from ever again

Just insane.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago and I'd forgotten about it, but in 2022 when he mentioned people in the Eastern states thinking we had the best coach or something along those lines. That has to be one of the most pissweak reasons to keep a coach. Who the **** even cares what they think, David.

I'm not denying it is important. But in the context of time, the Crows don't have the option to be member controlled until 2028, so that's the earliest Port could conceivably do it.

Which means it should rightly be put on the back burner for the time being whilst the footy department goes under some drastic changes in the coming months.

And once that is sorted, I'm in full support of the member control becoming the biggest issue front and centre that the Board need to address.
The Crows become member controlled no later than 2028.

Yes, the Peter Principle is that many people are effectively promoted to their level of incompetence. Someone who is good in a particularly role will be promoted to a higher role. They will not be competent in that higher role and therefore will not be promoted any further. The downside is that they will continue to be in a role where they lack competence. I saw many examples of this during my working years.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back