David Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW

I can't believe some of the things i'm reading in this thread.

All these posters having a go at this kid for putting his contract on hold. Probably the same posters who wrote this kid off before this year, and the same posters that bagged Dangerfield, and the same posters who yell kick it long when there's nothing on or man up when we're zoning.

All you guys are crazy.

Rutten put negotiations on hold too, is he going home? Here's a kid who had broken into the line up and is starting to put some good games together, just ccoming off his best last week, and doesn't want to be burdened right nnow with negotiations.

By the Way VIC CROW, I agree with you Radar is a genuine GUN.

I remember he wasn't enjoying his stay but stuck it out and now loves it. I feel bad for Radar, he had 20something touches in the first half of the doggies game before going down.

D-Mac is a CROW!

WOW

I can't believe some of the things i'm reading in this thread.

All these posters having a go at this kid for putting his contract on hold. Probably the same posters who wrote this kid off before this year, and the same posters that bagged Dangerfield, and the same posters who yell kick it long when there's nothing on or man up when we're zoning.

All you guys are crazy.

Rutten put negotiations on hold too, is he going home? Here's a kid who had broken into the line up and is starting to put some good games together, just ccoming off his best last week, and doesn't want to be burdened right nnow with negotiations.

By the Way VIC CROW, I agree with you Radar is a genuine GUN.

I remember he wasn't enjoying his stay but stuck it out and now loves it. I feel bad for Radar, he had 20something touches in the first half of the doggies game before going down.

D-Mac is a CROW!

cant see what point you are trying to make re the sa based rutten :confused:

mc kay has stated his favourite tourist destination is 'home in melbourne'. he is apparently knocking back contract negotiations for now and is missing his melbourne based gf.

its certainly not fait accompli that he wants to leave but imo we have a few things to be very worried about here with him, esp considering his form and oppotunities provided to him thus far.

Gee, there are some drama queens that post on this board.

It's a bit early to be throwing tantrums, isn't it?

i dont think so ****. there are some worrying signs here - dont you think?

adelaide is seemingly not deemed an attractive city to live for a number of our melbourne recruits and in most recent yrs we seem to lose a player back home. at this stage, mc kay looks the most likely to go based on publicly available information imho

Oh, history should show its never too early for tantrums, its expected they complain as much as they can, about as much as they can, as early as they can otherwise Earth might explode or something.

We win:

Whine whine whine

We lose:

Whine whine whine

A player farts in their own house:

Whine whine whine

There is a cloud in the sky:

Whine whine whine

A player fell over once:

Whine whine whine

i dont think so ****. there are some worrying signs here - dont you think?

adelaide is seemingly not deemed an attractive city to live for a number of our melbourne recruits and in most recent yrs we seem to lose a player back home. at this stage, mc kay looks the most likely to go based on publicly available information imho

Fine, have concerns, but that's not what I'm talking about. The publicly available information (as you put it) does not justify some of the rubbish posted in this thread. Suggestions that we should not ever play Mackay again are one such example. Criticism of us recruiting outside of SA is another. Maybe I'm not as smart as you guys but I reckon players like Chris Knights, Nathan van Berlo and Richard Douglas have proven to be better selections than South Australians Chad Gibson, Alan Obst and Darren Pfeiffer. Just my opinion of course. ;)

Fine, have concerns, but that's not what I'm talking about. The publicly available information (as you put it) does not justify some of the rubbish posted in this thread. Suggestions that we should not ever play Mackay again are one such example. Criticism of us recruiting outside of SA is another. Maybe I'm not as smart as you guys but I reckon players like Chris Knights, Nathan van Berlo and Richard Douglas have proven to be better selections than South Australians Chad Gibson, Alan Obst and Darren Pfeiffer. Just my opinion of course. ;)

ok thats fair enough

cant see what point you are trying to make re the sa based rutten :confused:

mc kay has stated his favourite tourist destination is 'home in melbourne'. he is apparently knocking back contract negotiations for now and is missing his melbourne based gf.

its certainly not fait accompli that he wants to leave but imo we have a few things to be very worried about here with him, esp considering his form and oppotunities provided to him thus far.

yeah but i would say my favorite holiday location is with family in Country SA i sure as hell don't want to move there though

IMO after his great game on the weekend, his manager would have received a few calls from Vic clubs needing quality young midfielders (Collingwood anyone?) so obviously he has a bit to think about in terms of money/go home factor/on field success.

It'd be a real shame to lose him but we'd still have Thompson, Reilly, Porps, Vince, Douglas, Jericho, VB, Knights and Symes in our midfield who are all 25 or younger plus Otten and Danger knocking on the door so losing D-Mac wouldn't cripple us.

He could have suspended negotiains for a plethora of reasons, just because he's victorian doesn't mean he wants to go home. Mackay is turning out to be a great player and has found his spot in the Crows midfield, he'd be mad to throw that away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment, if he did want to hold the Crows to ransom with the pre-season draft his options would appear to be:

1. West Coast or Freo ( and they are not any better than us-at least we are closer to Melbourne by plane)
2. Melbourne ( and I cannot think any self-respecting footballer who would want to enjoy his football would choose that basket case on purpose).
3. Outside chance is Essendon but they do not appear to have the basis for any success over the next 5+ years ( and who knows what effect the 2 new teams will have on established teams with diminished draft picks) and unless he barracked for them I'm not sure this would be a good choice.

Consequently, the club would appear to have some strength in its position whatever he decides

Did I read that Port re-signed Boak a while ago? They seem to be retaining these kids very well lately. Also the Eagles signed Hurn and a couple of others.

The reason I'm so worried by the rumours is because looking at our midfield crop, Mackay is basically a non-negotiable imo; an integral future cog for any success the club plans to chase. I hate to think that our club can't bridge the gaps required to make these kids happy to stay and play for us.

just not true.

He's not going to get some big contract. with the salary cap and the state of flux our list is in, there is only so much room we'd ever have to move on this. maybe we've a little more up our sleeve, but this idea that he'll get a significantly improved contract is just ignoring the pesky details of the cap and list management.

He's obviously not going to be a million dollar man or anything stupid, but if he can improve his worth from (purely baseless numbers) $200,00 PA to $225,000, then he'd be silly not to.

7 Games into his career, just starting to show how good he might be - why sign a contract now, when in another 10 games he might star and increase his value even more.

Did I hear Brent Reilly say on 5aa tonight that he wasnt aware that David Mackay was contemplating returning to Victoria. I only heard parts of it but i thought I heard him say he knew Mackay was having a few problems settling into Adelaide like Reilly did when he first came over to Adelaide but overall he wasnt aware of any issue there.

Did I hear Brent Reilly say on 5aa tonight that he wasnt aware that David Mackay was contemplating returning to Victoria. I only heard parts of it but i thought I heard him say he knew Mackay was having a few problems settling into Adelaide like Reilly did when he first came over to Adelaide but overall he wasnt aware of any issue there.

Can anyone further clarify what was said?

Reilly said that he was Mackay's mentor that he had showed no signs of wanting go home and that he would hope that he didn't want to go home. It was mentioned that Mackay does have a partner who still resides in Victoria. Reilly added that Mackay is a very level headed professional individual and that the AFC has come a very long way since when he first came over at making it easier for new interstate recruits to settle in by getting family particularly parents more involved in the players welfare

Reilly said that he was Mackay's mentor that he had showed no signs of wanting go home and that he would hope that he didn't want to go home. It was mentioned that Mackay does have a partner who still resides in Victoria. Reilly added that Mackay is a very level headed professional individual and that the AFC has come a very long way since when he first came over at making it easier for new interstate recruits to settle in by getting family particularly parents more involved in the players welfare

thanks mate. Like i said i only heard part of the interview. Thanks for clearing that up for us. cheers

Thanks for that jayjake. :thumbsu:

And I second what Drummond said: RADAR WE LOVE YOU!!! :D

He's obviously not going to be a million dollar man or anything stupid, but if he can improve his worth from (purely baseless numbers) $200,00 PA to $225,000, then he'd be silly not to.

7 Games into his career, just starting to show how good he might be - why sign a contract now, when in another 10 games he might star and increase his value even more.

of course. the club has no idea of his worth, and a few good games might show them what sort of talent he is.

get real, the club would have very him slotted fairly well in their thinking; a few more games isn't going to change anything.

his value is in what he's going to become in 3, 4 even 5 years time. not a little form in his first full season. I'd be very surprised if there's anything he was going to do this year that would markedly change the club's opinions of his potential and value.

lets put it this way, if in your example he's been offered 200K and he wants 225K (which is not an insurmountable change) then it's a very clumsy way of going about it. going to the mattresses over a small increase would indicate a wayward player and a foolish manager. And I don't think anyone really believes he's been asking for a big increase for 2 reasons:
1. he has no body of work relative to our salary structure to fall back on
and much more importantly
2. in this town, that would be leaked to the press in approximately 0.74 seconds.

if he wants a little extra, he'd be much better just asking for it. Given the club's hardline (something I don't always agree with, but still...) going all out for a little might just as likely have the opposite effect on the clubs thinking of him, his character and his committment.

In light of the above, I think we can rule out him asking for a big increase cause we'd know about it; if he wanted more years, he's shown enough to get a 3 yr deal if that's what he wants - and I'm sure the club would be delighted in that sort of committment; so that leaves...

we'll need to see, but why is it so difficult to believe that maybe he just wants to go home? hopefully we can avert that, but the current system makes it pretty easy for him to achieve that if he wants to.

Ps. here's hoping Radar's jedi mind tricks work on him!

Remove this Banner Ad

David Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back