List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to depend on how big lists are next season if he stays on another season or not. Full season this year and next would bring him to just edge out Pav's game record, although whether or not you'd want him to play every game from here or not is another question

A thousand times yes.
maybe in a return to the hbf if need be. So good. So important still

if I was freo I would be looking at putting him in a player coach role. Might help soften the impact of the soft cap reductions. He would be a brilliant development coach. Seems a natural born teacher

I don't think Mundy will look good up forward or back anymore, we will lament his lack of pace and his opponent will switch to a tight tag when he is hitting up targets in the middle of the ground for a quarter - effectively removing him from the contest for the price of their least damaging forward.

The best value we get from him is at the stoppages when the ball is up for grabs and nobody gets a running start.

He is like Scott Pendlebury, I'd love to have him on the half back line - as the opposition defensive coordinator - because it means he isn't at the stoppages and asking a player to sacrifice his own game to take this damaging key opposition player out should be very simple.

So the question becomes, does David Mundy playing in the midfield in 2021 cost Fremantle in 2022?
We have:
Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong, Tucker to run through there already, plus potentially Walters and a new top ten midfielder.
Our midfield could be built on guys with an average draft pick of 4, plus a guy with two brownlow medals.

Do we gain more by playing Serong in Mundy's midfield minutes?

I think if we need to win now then we pick Mundy. I love Mundy. I'd rather he played on but I'd understand and appreciate him feeling like Sandi stepping down for Darcy to get a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that excluding last weekend he’s generally been down on performance since last year.

A lot could depend on the development of Brayshaw and Cerra. I can’t help they need the extra minutes in the midfield to take the next step forward as players. They certainly looked that way on the weekend, although it was poor opposition.

Mundy has always been slow but he’s more so than he used to be. I’m not sure there’s a spot up forward with three tall forwards in our best 22 (three talls and Mundy would be sooo slow), whilst there’s plenty of decent enough players to take roles down back.

I don’t want it to end either but the time could be right.

He can stay as long as he likes. Some players earn that right.
I hope this post is out of love for Mundy rather than what you really want to happen. He's done. Pav and Sandi were done in their last year too. If we lose to the saints and eagles and are 1-6 he should be at Peel for the rest of the season and brought back for a farewell game where we can all celebrate his brilliance. And I love the man, but no one has the right to play on for as long as they want.

I hope this post is out of love for Mundy rather than what you really want to happen. He's done. Pav and Sandi were done in their last year too. If we lose to the saints and eagles and are 1-6 he should be at Peel for the rest of the season and brought back for a farewell game where we can all celebrate his brilliance. And I love the man, but no one has the right to play on for as long as they want.

That's the beauty of a player like Mundy. He wouldn't play on if it meant harm to the club.

His game on the weekend is proof that he is not done and still has a lot to contribute to the team and the club.

I think that excluding last weekend he’s generally been down on performance since last year.

Exactly. Seems like a lot of people in this thread have short memories.

he looked absolutely cooked in the first couple of rounds.

He played against a garbage midfield who were either young or old and slow. Very much Mundy's sweet spot.

first two rounds he had 13 possessions apiece ffs. Did everyone not watch those games?

Last edited:

He played against a garbage midfield who were either young or old and slow. Very much Mundy's sweet spot.

first two rounds he had 13 possessions apiece ffs. Did everyone not watch those games?
No one's forgetting the first two rounds, just as no one's forgetting how cooked his preseason was.

if it wasn't for his clearances in the third, we would have likely lost to the bottom team who couldn't hit the side of a barn door. He started the season slow as he was coming back from a BROKEN LEG in the preseason. At his age. Seriously there are some dumb comments in this thread. He's still best 22. It's that simple. When he's not, or when he wants to retire, it's time.

Mundy’s sweet spot?
“Mundy’s sweet spot” is him standing up when we need him most!!!

He has just come back from a broken leg and won the game for us just like he has done many times before.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back