List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to see how he plays the year out. If he is playing well in the last 3 or 4 games, and wants to go around again then we offer him one more year.

We definitely have a lot worse players on our list than him.

I hope this post is out of love for Mundy rather than what you really want to happen. He's done. Pav and Sandi were done in their last year too. If we lose to the saints and eagles and are 1-6 he should be at Peel for the rest of the season and brought back for a farewell game where we can all celebrate his brilliance. And I love the man, but no one has the right to play on for as long as they want.

2 totally different situations.

Mundy Is what? 34? Actually 35 year old in 2 weeks. He is still contributing. You can play Mundy and a young mid on the bench. We have given debut games to serong, young and sturt. Midfield is one of freos biggest concerns.

Pav was decling in his final year but we really struggled to fill the hole he left at CHF or FF.

Sandilands retirement came just at the right time. He retired at 36/37. Sean Darcy is in his 4th year with 20-25 games under the belt. Rory Lobb is a FF/2nd ruck. Meek is a depth ruck thats in his 3rd year but should of got 5-10 AFL games already.

Pavlich was still a pretty decent player in 2016 if you ignore how good he was prior. Sandilands was absolutely cooked but he was a couple of years older and was injured most of the season.

Mundy is more like Pav in his last year - he’ll play good games here and there but won’t be anywhere close to what he was.

Outside of injuries, that’s probably the worst case scenario I see happening tbh. He’ll be worth his spot in the side until the year is out. It’ll be about predicting how he’ll go next year both for him and the club and deciding whether he should play on in 2021.

Oh shit yeah, I would hope most of the numpties on here moaning about Dave's 2020 output have forgotten also.

Back in the day, this joint was the world's richest source of WRONG on David Mundy and it looks like continuing to be. It's extremely embarrassing.

The man is a legend of our club and has more heart than the bins outside a Calcutta cardiac ward. We give him a Hodge contract whenever he wants it and we be extraordinarily grateful he found a home here. He will always earn his keep.

Is he positively contributing to the team?

Is he currently uninjured?

Then why not? Brent Harvey, Dustin Fletcher, Craig Bradley, etc, all played until late 30s and still did well.

Would extend him for another year without even thinking. The only reason that would be a concern is if it meant delisting a young player that we would rather keep due to forced list number cuts. That’s the only reason not to keep Mundy for next year. If it meant losing someone like Pina, butters or even Valente then we would have to think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we could be smart about it. Mundy would get paid roughly $115,000 outside the salary cap at the moment, we could pay him $200,000 to be our stoppage coach and have a player being paid $315,000 for 2021 with $0 on the salary cap.

In theory..

There would need to be more media involvement as part of his deal because that really easy to hide extra remuneration in. Who is to say that the extra $80,000 above the regular rate a line coach makes isn't for all the extra media work?

Burgoyne is 37 and still going ok.
Mundy still going beautifully, he's been very durable and doesn't rely on speed or strength to get it done.
I hope he keeps playing for as long as he has the hunger.
He does use strength. One of the best in the league at freeing the arms for a handball when tackled.

He does use strength. One of the best in the league at freeing the arms for a handball when tackled.
Probably didn't put it well, he doesn't need to bullock or bludgeon his way through, he plays with smarts and finesse.
Point being I think he can continue to contribute as his athletic gifts wane.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back