List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

IF the club won the premiership next year with Mundy, does he leapfrog Pav to become our greatest ever player?
he’d have to win the Brownlow, Norm Smith and possibly the Coleman for me to think about it
The only one that can touch Pav is Fyfe, but he'd have to play 300 + games and even then its 50/50 I reckon. Fyfe would likely have to captain and Norm Smith a flag to overtake The Great One
if fyfe gets to 250 (I reckon he could maybe get to around 280), as a player i’d very reluctantly choose Fyfe over the great man

Can't be fcked checking, but I doubt there has been a 36 year old premiership player since the 1980's. Maybe Al Lynch - can't remember how old he was when he retired? Mundy will not win a flag, I'm sorry to break the news.

I'm glad we can disagree so much and still be mates
I want Mundy gone this year whether he wants it or not. I strongly suspect he will go of his own accord, but if it came to it I would move him on like we did with Ballas. There's a lot of sentiment there cause I love Mundy but his time is done.

Could not disagree more, it's not even remotely comparable to Ballas.

Ballas was well and truly cooked and people were bemoaning his selection years before he retired, let alone in his final year. Mundy is still playing really well and if you didn't know his age you it wouldn't even cross your mind to try force him out.

Can't be fcked checking, but I doubt there has been a 36 year old premiership player since the 1980's. Maybe Al Lynch - can't remember how old he was when he retired? Mundy will not win a flag, I'm sorry to break the news.
matt boyd was 34 in 2016, Crawford 34 in 08 (only guys older than 32ish that I could spot winning a flag) last 36 year old to play in a GF was Al Lynch in 04 and didn’t he go out in style

Watching the last couple of games again, Mundy and Fyfe are a big reason Serong is coming along so well. I'm not saying this to take anything away from Serong at all, but he's been on the end of a couple of very mature and professional handballs, which come from mature and professional players. Development often requires an older, more experienced head being there with you.
Delisting Mundy now would would be a zero-sum game move. If he's not up to it next year, he gets reduced game time - but eliminating the option would be the kind of stupidity I'd hope this club is past.

Glad you said it, the experience he offers our younger blokes in and out of games is invaluable.

There was a centre bounce on Monday where Mundy has his eyes fixed to the ball the whole time, crashing through Hawthorn players to win the ball out to Serong. Serong ain’t getting that football lesson with Mundy sitting on the couch at home.

Not to mention he’s still in our best players most weeks.

Mundy should play on. The only nudging the club should be doing is for him to sign another deal, not nudging out the door.

Mundy deserves to go out on his own terms, but too often we see players delay retirement that bit too long and the last we see of them is as they are going downhill fast. If Mundy were to retire this year he would be forever remembered in his prime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if fyfe leads freo to a premiership and wins another brownlow, I will still judge Pav at Freo's greatest. He guided us through our darkest times and contributed to building a stable platform that Fyfe has been able to utilise and drive from.

In 2013, in the last game of the year, it was Mundy who brought the ball out of the centre in the 3rd quarter.
Wasn't any one else, Sandi helped him of course.
Mundy to Walters was our only hope at that stage. We fell short, but not by much.
Bloke took over the Captaincy at close to our lowest form slump for a long time, gave it up without a yelp to a Brownlow bloke.
Not only should he keep going, put a statue next to Gerovich, as Mundy for me has bled Dockers thru and thru.
Complete f'ing Legend

Screw sentiment, Mundy deserves to play on next year because hes earned it. I’m pretty sure a few of us on here were asking for him to be dropped after the West Coast game...

Even if fyfe leads freo to a premiership and wins another brownlow, I will still judge Pav at Freo's greatest. He guided us through our darkest times and contributed to building a stable platform that Fyfe has been able to utilise and drive from.

Plus how many players have been selected All Australian in defence, midfield and forward? Has there been anyone else?

Watching the last couple of games again, Mundy and Fyfe are a big reason Serong is coming along so well. I'm not saying this to take anything away from Serong at all, but he's been on the end of a couple of very mature and professional handballs, which come from mature and professional players. Development often requires an older, more experienced head being there with you.
Delisting Mundy now would would be a zero-sum game move. If he's not up to it next year, he gets reduced game time - but eliminating the option would be the kind of stupidity I'd hope this club is past.
The only problem with this scenario is if Mundy himself says he only wants to stay on if he's guaranteed to continue being picked on merit. If he doesn't like the idea of staying on and becoming a part time player (a la Will Schofield), then we may as well delist him.

For my money, I'd like to see him stay on one more year. I think he's up to it assuming no more weird broken legs.

Is Mundy best 22 now? Yes.

I don't think he can play either forward or back, so his contribution needs to be as a midfielder. He wasn't ever building his game on burst speed, he isn't getting slower, he can still kick.

If his mind is in it and body is up to it, he is still in our top five players on the ground.

350 games isn't out of the question.

Fyfe will be played forward more, freeing up a midfield spot immediately. Walter should be played forward more to do the same.
Unless one of Valente or (2020 draft pick/2020 traded in midfielder) force their way into the side and it's a choice of one of Serong/Brayshaw/Cerra/Mundy for this new player - in which case you would drop Mundy unless we are playing for finals and wins - then he should have a place in the side in 2021.

It's actually possible that he retires on 353 games and we get a picture on the back of the newspaper the next morning of Mundy being chaired off to a waiting Pavlich on the sidelines and another of them embracing.

If he performs like is he now for next year too he might go around again. Robert Harvey played until he was 37, and well too. Mundy could do the same.

When he is on, he has been one of our best. But there have been some quiet games. I say let him stay at home all season and only play the matches at Optus and any finals we might make. Let the old man have his rest and maximise the chance of him being at his best when he does play. But AFL clubs never do that sort of thing, they don't show much imagination with selection policies.

Some people see Mundy as a Rolls Royce. Purring on all cylinders.

I see him as an old style Landrover ( not the “sterilised” Defender ). Built solid, doesn’t give a shite about how it looks, keeps rolling on through anything all day.

When the ball is in a scrum with bodies everywhere, he just cruises through the muddle, grabs the ball and distributes it. Then flicks his hair back and wonders what all the “pretty boys” in the scrum were doing.

Some people see Mundy as a Rolls Royce. Purring on all cylinders.

I see him as an old style Landrover ( not the “sterilised” Defender ). Built solid, doesn’t give a sh*te about how it looks, keeps rolling on through anything all day.

When the ball is in a scrum with bodies everywhere, he just cruises through the muddle, grabs the ball and distributes it. Then flicks his hair back and wonders what all the “pretty boys” in the scrum were doing.

Landrover PFFF! Shit 4x4 He's more like a Patrol, all class and the first vehicle to cross the Simpson Desert.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. David Mundy, 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back