Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked a completely different player out there last night.

Just seemed like he had renewed confidence in his ability and knew exactly what to do as soon as he took possession.

Great to see. Hopefully he gets a bit of continuity and can continue this form through a string of games.

btw, is there a link to where Hird talks about him? Can't find it.

The key point. 25 games. Unless you are a super star of the game and in that group of 0.1 % of players who can just come in and play at elite level then you are going to have issues.

I love the awareness comments, just the same as Hocking had the same issues around game 25 and funnily enough now he has played 50 games and a good string of games in a row it is now not such an issue.
Another is Hooker, he makes heaps less blunders now he is playing and getting to know what he can and can not do.

Myers has played 25 games, he has not played a string of games in a row where he has ever been able to get the pace of the game week in and week out . Of course he is going to have some awareness problems stepping into the highest level.
If Myers plays the next 25 in a row and gets to 50 games and is still making the same mistakes then he has an issue.

Fair point. I just think he may end up having the same awareness issues as Stanton (I am not saying Stanton is not valuable).

Being fumbly at collecting ground balls is not a disaster if Myers other attributes outweigh this issue.

And we cant all have clean ball handling skills like Jobe Watson.

Am I the only one who saw his last 2-3 games last year and his 2-3 in the middle of the year and his first 2-3 this year??? Apparently so...

His last ~10 games for the club have been (ranging from) OK pinch-hitting as a CHB to very good (28+ touches, clearances, huge kicks over the lines) on a flank or through the middle.

So in summary: I agree, delist please.

No, someone on the previous page.

And in general, there are quite a few who seem genuinely surprised he's playing well. Has done very little wrong on the park since mid- last year.

If he gets a bit of continuity - look out.

He was in our best 5 about 3 or 4 times last year. This is just another half step

Yeah, ok.

Still looked like he was playing with a confidence he was missing last year. And also seemed more versatile - ie. used both sides of the body effectively, whereas he didn't seem to have confidence to do that previously.

But hey that's just my opinion. That statement wasn't actually intended to be a dig at him mate, I agree that he was good in a few games last year.

Yeah, ok.

Still looked like he was playing with a confidence he was missing last year. And also seemed more versatile - ie. used both sides of the body effectively, whereas he didn't seem to have confidence to do that previously.

But hey that's just my opinion. That statement wasn't actually intended to be a dig at him mate, I agree that he was good in a few games last year.
All the players look like they are playing with much more confidence this year, the clearly defined roles they are playing probably has something to do with it. Myers has looked good at times in the past, but it always seems that just as he is getting going injury strikes which puts him back in the VFL. He has earnt a spot in the best 22, hopefully he takes his chance to cement himself into the team.

liked Myers alot tonight, so I was a bit confused when Hirdy looked to be giving him a serve at 3QT

methinks he may be a hard taskmaster, our James:thumbsu:

I thought he was just giving him a bit of instruction for the final term, not a serve. Shows respect really. When you are playing well and the coach singles you out it is because you are expected to play better (rates you) or because he's giving you responsibility. Seeing how Watson was off and we were still only 24 points up I think it was a bit of both.

There is some truth in what reincarnated said. Myers struggles below his knees. I still stand by my statement that he has poor awareness. A good example of a player with quality awareness is Jetta. He knows when there is danger around him (including behind him). It is possible to detect players behind you. I have been impressed with Myers in the back line. His marking and kicking is very good and he is such a strong player. My criticism of Myers is constructive.

He is pretty darn good below his knees. Just looks more awkward because he's tall. Very similar to Jobe actually in how he moves over the ball. The difference is that Jobe plays midfield and doesn't the the ball at his feet at pace as often as Myers does in defence, plus Myers is just 21 and is still getting use to the pace of AFL football.

Myers doesn't have that poor awareness really. Better than Hooker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who saw his last 2-3 games last year and his 2-3 in the middle of the year and his first 2-3 this year??? Apparently so...

His last ~10 games for the club have been (ranging from) OK pinch-hitting as a CHB to very good (28+ touches, clearances, huge kicks over the lines) on a flank or through the middle.

I couldn't agree with what you are saying more. My guess is that anyone trying to push a case for Myers got tired of pointing out that he was breaking even with all sorts as a key position defender and that he was reasonably productive in his short stints in the middle of the ground.

It is a hell of a lot easier to argue the point in light of an assured 31 possession domination at half back. Having said that, the doubters still come up with all sorts of reasons not to like him, like his stiff posture.

Dane Swan runs like Fred Flinstone and Jobe Watson waddles like his hip bones are fused to his back but there arn't too many negatives that people throw up about those two.

Let me just say that I've been on the Myers train since a game in Adelaide in 2008 where we didn't get belted for once (lost but put up a good fight), there was a passage of play where Myers was sent into the middle, within 6-7 minutes he had about 3-4 clearances and had kicked a goal, I knew from that point that he had what it took to become a gun clearance player.

Everytime I have seen him in the middle, he looks like a natural in the clearances.

Myers doesn't have that poor awareness really. Better than Hooker.
TROLLFACE
Hooker has good awareness, what are you talking about bro?

He is one interrupted pre-season from becoming a really good AFL player.

You could see his good and bad yesterday. The bad should be fixable and if we can get our fitness department right than this kid can really prosper.

This is basically it.

I thought that a lot was made of parts of Myers' game that weren't really that bad. It has me wondering whether Lloyd is deliberately trying to fire up some of our younger guys. He can't be as blind as his seemingly constant criticism of some of our younger players, like Ryder and Myers, and love for guys like McVeigh and Welsh suggests he is.

There are probably 5 guys in the AFL that have a chance of moving Lynch against his will (let alone a flanker and third tall KPD); and I seem to remember that the clearing kick (intercepted by Nikoski or LeCras I think) being the result of a hospital ball - my perception was that the ball we being turned over regardless of where it went due to WC pressure and our lack of numbers.

Myers' second half of 2011 should have silenced the doubters and, at the same time, given him the confidence that he belongs at AFL level (which seems to have been his biggest problem to date).

If we can get preseasons into Myers, Pears and Hooker (Carlisle still excused a little due to age) our backline is looking amazingly good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back