Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Must have missed the part where I said "not saying he (Myers) will be close to his (Ablett's) level". It was purely an example of a player that took a massive leap because of one pre-season.

Gary Ablett improved season on season - Biggest jump was 2007 - But then again most players hit their peak performance in year 6 or year 7.

Gary Ablett improved season on season - Biggest jump was 2007 - But then again most players hit their peak performance in year 6 or year 7.

And what year is Myers up to yaco?

Ablett wad shown glimpses in his early games that he was going to become a fairly decent player. He obviously exceeded expectations in that regard but the talent is certainly there.

What so because it was a different coach back then they took no notice what so ever in him? :cool:

Yes he has been afforded the luxury of playing consecutive games this year but I still have question marks as to what his true position is?

I personally think he is vying for Pears in that 3rd tall defender role or running defender in which is he better than Dempsey or Hardingham or Dyson Heppell?

I think that Myers really is going to become a depth player with no real position.

Body - on - body he is not really that great in defence, his wonder boot is not the greatest like everyone makes it out to be, he is not fit enough to be a midfield rotation, and his goal kicking (I think) leaves a little to be desired about.

I can only see him becoming a depth player who could come in play a variety of roles but not an out an out star.
You're bleeding aren't you? It's good to watch from my POV.

Myers has played 34 games.
Every game this year where he's had a run under his belt, he has been good - Carlton and WCE he was average.
He is doing all that could be asked, or expected, of any player who's missed 8 weeks this year - let alone a kid still finding their way.
Will be a very good player, and I hope some of you are big enough to suck it up when it happens.

Must have missed the part where I said "not saying he (Myers) will be close to his (Ablett's) level". It was purely an example of a player that took a massive leap because of one pre-season.
Gary's first really big (numbers anyway) game was number 50 for him.
Myers' equivalent was about number 22, in round 22 last year.

Just sayin'.
Since he's had 20-odd games under his belt he's been a good contributor; all the sad-sacks are judging him on year 1 or 2.

I think, in all honesty, what still hurts the perception of Myers, is the draft selection we used on him.

If we had've used #6 on Pears, and selected Myers with #37 or whatever it was that we selected Daniher with, people'd be saying "yeah this kid could be alright."

Sadly for some, all they'll ever think of when they see him is, "wow, we could've had Cyril or Danger."

I can only see him becoming a depth player who could come in play a variety of roles but not an out an out star.

If only your track record of judging players wasn't so horrible people might actually care.

Myers from games 22-33: 19 disposals average
Ablett from games 22-33: 15.2 disposals average

Number of years before Ablett averaged 19 possessions or more? Five. Averaging 26.7 in his sixth year of AFL.
Number of years before Myers averaged 19 possessions or more? Three. Myers is currently in his fourth year playing in the AFL.

Oh hey guys, we're comparing Myers to one of the best players to have ever played the game!

Have always rated Myers (especially over Palmer) and expect to be vindicated by the end of his career. Might never be a great, but will be a decent best 22 player for us.

See that's what i would like to hear. Let's stop all the negativity and rally behind OUR team and lets get these boys to perform like they should. Look at Stantons turn around! Who saw that coming?

What turn around? He's been doing it for 8 years now.

If only your track record of judging players wasn't so horrible people might actually care.

Myers from games 22-33: 19 disposals average
Ablett from games 22-33: 15.2 disposals average

Number of years before Ablett averaged 19 possessions or more? Five. Averaging 26.7 in his sixth year of AFL.
Number of years before Myers averaged 19 possessions or more? Three. Myers is currently in his fourth year playing in the AFL.

Oh hey guys, we're comparing Myers to one of the best players to have ever played the game!

Have always rated Myers (especially over Palmer) and expect to be vindicated by the end of his career. Might never be a great, but will be a decent best 22 player for us.

You know what. **** it. I know disposals aren't everything, but they give a pretty good indication of how a player is getting involved in the game, especially with young players.

Players averaging more touches than Myers this year for Essendon (up to West Coast game):

Watson 129 matches DE 65%
Stanton 159 matches DE 71%
Heppell 20 matches DE 75%
Zaharakis 50 matches DE 69%
Myers 33 matches DE 71%

Players averaging fewer:

Hocking
Howlett
Lonergan
Monfries
Prismall
Melksham
Everyone else

Myers gets the ball better than most in our side. He uses it as effectively as most. He can kick long. He has played as a key defender at times. He hasn't conceded many goals. He has dealt with injuries and is getting better the more he plays. He is kicking on his non-preferred now. Etc, etc.

I am sick some of the people on this forum who have no ****ing idea what they are talking about.

Sam Lonergan has played 65 games for this club, twice as many as Myers. Lonergan was having a career best year with 17.5 disposals a game, worse than Myers. He has a DE of 58%, worse than nearly everyone. He has one extra year playing for Essendon and is two years older than Myers.

Yet Lonergan is somehow 'best 22', while Myers is no more than a depth player with little scope for improvement?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also FWIW, there's a pretty interesting poll on the 4 WA boys selected in the top 7 of the 2007 draft, over on the polls board.

Masten (#3), Morton (#4), Myers (#6) and Palmer (#7).

I'm pretty comfortable with our boy.
IMHO he still sits pretty comfortably in the top 10.
Rioli, Taylor, and maybe McEvoy/Pears/Danger would go past him; but Masten, Morton & Grant would drop behind.
In terms of what we wanted - a versatile, dynamic half-back/possible midfielder, there's only one better (Cal Ward) come from that group.

You know what. **** it. I know disposals aren't everything, but they give a pretty good indication of how a player is getting involved in the game, especially with young players.

Players averaging more touches than Myers this year for Essendon (up to West Coast game):

Watson 129 matches DE 65%
Stanton 159 matches DE 71%
Heppell 20 matches DE 75%
Zaharakis 50 matches DE 69%
Myers 33 matches DE 71%

Players averaging fewer:

Hocking
Howlett
Lonergan
Monfries
Prismall
Melksham
Everyone else

Myers gets the ball better than most in our side. He uses it as effectively as most. He can kick long. He has played as a key defender at times. He hasn't conceded many goals. He has dealt with injuries and is getting better the more he plays. He is kicking on his non-preferred now. Etc, etc.

I am sick some of the people on this forum who have no ****ing idea what they are talking about.

Sam Lonergan has played 65 games for this club, twice as many as Myers. Lonergan was having a career best year with 17.5 disposals a game, worse than Myers. He has a DE of 58%, worse than nearly everyone. He has one extra year playing for Essendon and is two years older than Myers.

Yet Lonergan is somehow 'best 22', while Myers is no more than a depth player with little scope for improvement?

Indeed.

People get far too caught up in roles, and "best 22" on here, IMHO.

"ZOMG Daisy's not a full-time midfielder he's no good". Rubbish.

"ZOMG Myers isn't quite our best back flank nor our best tall back nor our best midfielder, hence not best 22, hence no good". Equally rubbish.

Guys who can play more than one role are (almost always) valued more highly, internally - hence why you'll often see some of the better pure tap rucks go quite late behind the ruck/forwards; and all the very inside or very outside mids go late behind those who can do both.

Only reason Myers is in the team is because of NLM injury, Welsh's suspension, Dyson's injury.

Come back to me in 18 months time and tell me how, the pick # 5 wonderkid is doing please.

Put my house on it that he will not play 100 AFL games with Essendon.

it's nearly 18 months since this post, and I'm coming back to it.

Where is your house, by the way? Will I be able to subdivide?

Myers - Height 191cm, weight 88 kg, age 22. ?????

Watson - Height 190 cm, weight 94 kg, age 26. Midfield

Crameri - Height 190 cm, weight 95kg, age 23. 3rd tall Forward

Pears - Height 191cm, weight 92kg, age 21. Key position back

Hurley - Height 193, weight 92, age 21. Key position swingman

Heppell - Height 189, weight 81, age 19. Centre Half Back for Jerusalem.

Nat Rat - Height 190, weight 87, age 28. Utility.

I rate Myers, but struggle to work out where he is best suited. I have previously dreamt of him taking over the Jobe Watson role, but who knows. His height and weight suggest he could play multiple positions, though he is clearly not a forward. Not a bad problem to have. Would love to see him rotating with Watson. I think he could become elite.

I just don't know why the coaching panel vote of confidence doesn't count for more.

Hird was talking about their "excitement" about Myers earlier in the year.

I would argue that the use of Myers is a reason for the excitement. Our coaches have the faith to use a 34 game player as a spare parts man playing crucial roles on key forwards, as a creative half back and occasional centre square player. After Crameri goes down against West Coast...it is Myers that we throw forward.

Why isn't any of this getting into the heads of the doubters? How the hell have they managed to turn an overwhelmingly positive attribute (versatility) into a negative?

Everytime I think I'm happy to ignore the Myers threads (on here and BB) I come accross the infruiatingly blind stubborness of the average detractors and it just pulls me back in.

So you're essentially agreeing with RIG.
No

Because Ablett showed a lot more/ability talent in his first four years.

A more apt comparison would be Jordan Russell of Carlton.

No it wouldn't. He was crap and still is.

Ffs, my statement was never about how good someone could be. It was in reply to HFF who said he doubts he could become a full-time mid at this age. I replied that Ablett achieved it at age 23 after one great pre-season.

I've come to believe he's the replacement for Fletcher, though as a different sort of player; one that'll chop off the supply rather than be 3rd man up, as well as providing dash from the backline to go with his 50 metre passes to beat opposition zones.

Oh My God.

Another role for Myers !;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back