David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I can watch the Aussie play Test cricket again.

I've never disliked an Aussie Test cricketer as much as this bloke, and that was even before the cheating scandal. His wife is also just as bad.

Piss off to the BBL and please don't come back

Michael Atherton 1994 - Got a fine.

Waqar Younis 2000 - 1 Test after digging his nails into the ball

Sachin Tendulkar 2001 - Suspended Ban, missed no matches after scratching seam with fingers

Shahid Afridi 2010 - 2 ODI's after biting the ball multiple times
1704845035318.png
Faf Du Plesis 2013 - Fine after scuffing the ball with his zipper.

Philander 2014 - Fined 75% of match fees.

Faf Du Plesis 2016 - Fined entire match fee after getting caught rubbing mints on ball

Virat Kohli 2016 - No Punishment

Sandgate 3 - 9 - 12 months ban LMAO after scratching the ball with sandpaper for 3 seconds.

Michael Atherton 1994 - Got a fine.

Waqar Younis 2000 - 1 Test after digging his nails into the ball

Sachin Tendulkar 2001 - Suspended Ban, missed no matches after scratching seam with fingers

Shahid Afridi 2010 - 2 ODI's after biting the ball multiple times

Faf Du Plesis 2013 - Fine after scuffing the ball with his zipper.

Philander 2014 - Fined 75% of match fees.

Faf Du Plesis 2016 - Fined entire match fee after getting caught rubbing mints on ball

Virat Kohli 2016 - No Punishment

Sandgate 3 - 9 - 12 months ban LMAO after scratching the ball with sandpaper for 3 seconds.

View attachment 1884184

None of these players played for Australia.

These are the other cheating nations we scoff at with our higher standards of play prior to 2018. We now have lower our standards to join the cheating nations in disgrace to the baggy green cap thanks to Warner and Smith.

How many Australian ball tampers have been caught prior to this incident in 2018?

Before this incident, we held our national team in the highest esteem that we didn't cheat but push the boundaries of what was already legal. We scoffed at other cheating nations whilst revering our cricket team and the sanctity of the baggy green cap.

It just shows how our standards as a nation has dropped since that incident. Now we are part of the rest of the cricketing nation that finds ways to cheat the system rather than playing the game on its merits.

This sort of thinking is really dangerous IMO, the idea that one team is superior morally to another, it leads to the sort of arrogance displayed on cricket fields as seen by H Kaur in 2023.

Australia was involved in a litany of on and off field in the 90s and early 2000s. Off field scandals continued basically up to the sandpaper incident.

Punishments for cheating should be in relation to the actual act and I would say that the punishments handed out were on the excessive side for most bar Warner who had been involved in scandals before, but the punishments were not crazy. However to suggest that life bans should be imposed because “We are the moral champions of this sport” is just plain arrogant.

How many Australian ball tampers have been caught prior to this incident in 2018?

Before this incident, we held our national team in the highest esteem that we didn't cheat but push the boundaries of what was already legal. We scoffed at other cheating nations whilst revering our cricket team and the sanctity of the baggy green cap.

It just shows how our standards as a nation has dropped since that incident. Now we are part of the rest of the cricketing nation that finds ways to cheat the system rather than playing the game on its merits.

Mate people like you are issue with Australian sports, totally unearned sense of moral superiority, australian sports people are not some special breed of athlete Australian sports fans are not special we are just people sometimes flawed people like everybody else and our fans and players should be held to same standards as everybody else

This sort of thinking is really dangerous IMO, the idea that one team is superior morally to another, it leads to the sort of arrogance displayed on cricket fields as seen by H Kaur in 2023.

Australia was involved in a litany of on and off field in the 90s and early 2000s. Off field scandals continued basically up to the sandpaper incident.

Punishments for cheating should be in relation to the actual act and I would say that the punishments handed out were on the excessive side for most bar Warner who had been involved in scandals before, but the punishments were not crazy. However to suggest that life bans should be imposed because “We are the moral champions of this sport” is just plain arrogant.

We as a nation use to pride ourselves on playing any sport within the limits of the rules, bending them slightly but not breaking them.
Sure in cricket prior to 2018 we did some things that were questionable to the "spirit of the game" but they weren't illegal or deemed cheating. The underarm incident against New Zealand was a classic case. But ball tampering is clear cut cheating and we got busted.

Money has definitely corrupted our sporting culture in general and cheating seems to be a lot more tolerable in Australia than it use to be. There seems to be more instances of drug cheating creeping in also.

Mate people like you are issue with Australian sports, totally unearned sense of moral superiority, australian sports people are not some special breed of athlete Australian sports fans are not special we are just people sometimes flawed people like everybody else and our fans and players should be held to same standards as everybody else

All I am saying that we should be raising the standards and not dropping it to make a quick buck. During my time following cricket, did Border, Taylor, Waugh, Ponting or Clarke ever stooped this low in achieving their successes?

The Dayne Zorko of cricket

We as a nation use to pride ourselves on playing any sport within the limits of the rules, bending them slightly but not breaking them.
Sure in cricket prior to 2018 we did some things that were questionable to the "spirit of the game" but they weren't illegal or deemed cheating. The underarm incident against New Zealand was a classic case. But ball tampering is clear cut cheating and we got busted.

Money has definitely corrupted our sporting culture in general and cheating seems to be a lot more tolerable in Australia than it use to be. There seems to be more instances of drug cheating creeping in also.

And rest of the cricket world always felt we were full of shit that we did often cross the line but due to our smug sense of moral superiority we simply waved of their often valid concerns.

Also we had Aussie players bet against their own team we had Aussie players take money from bookies we had Aussie players knock off the bails then try and claim the wicket Aussie players claim catches they know they grassed but yeah this was first time we crossed the line? Give me a break.

2 of Australia's most lauded cricketers literally bet against their own side in 1981 in a match where they lost the unlosable. They weren't punished, no one gave a **** and they're still held in the highest esteem by cricket in this country. If anything they were celebrated for it.

None of these players played for Australia.

These are the other cheating nations we scoff at with our higher standards of play prior to 2018. We now have lower our standards to join the cheating nations in disgrace to the baggy green cap thanks to Warner and Smith.
So its ok for other nations players to cheat then.

Got it.

2 of Australia's most lauded cricketers literally bet against their own side in 1981 in a match where they lost the unlosable. They weren't punished, no one gave a * and they're still held in the highest esteem by cricket in this country. If anything they were celebrated for it.
I am not familiar with that incident as it was before my time, so I can't make any valued comment at this time.

What was the general public's view at the time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor's average was 64.16 at the end of the eighties. Dropped heaps at the end of his career.
That's a bit misleading though.

He'd only played 11 of his 104 Tests by the end of the 80s, and his average at that time was heavily influenced by his outstanding 1989 series against England (839 runs @ 83.9) and a couple of tons against Sri Lanka.

I agree that Warner & Smith should have got life time bans in the test match format for disgracing the baggy green cap.

Bancroft I would have been a bit more lenient and given him him a second chance as he was following the leadership instructions.
Smith being a weak leader is not lifetime ban in my opinion. Deserving of a severe punishment yes, not lifetime though. Bancroft and Warner though... You cannot punish weakness of not stopping or reporting something the same as the person who actively did the offense.

Thrilled though Bancroft did not get picked in the squad today.

That's a bit misleading though.

He'd only played 11 of his 104 Tests by the end of the 80s, and his average at that time was heavily influenced by his outstanding 1989 series against England (839 runs @ 83.9) and a couple of tons against Sri Lanka.
It's not misleading. It summarises that period.

2 of Australia's most lauded cricketers literally bet against their own side in 1981 in a match where they lost the unlosable. They weren't punished, no one gave a * and they're still held in the highest esteem by cricket in this country. If anything they were celebrated for it.
By coincidence, I stumbled across this from The Age in September 1982 this morning. A staggering first sentence, when you think about it.

Capture.JPG

Warner is now semi retired.... surely he'd stay at his brothers wedding and get on the piss... Thunder aren't even in Finals contention there 1-5 (1 NC).. I'd be filthy if I was Warners brother.

Warner is now semi retired.... surely he'd stay at his brothers wedding and get on the piss... Thunder aren't even in Finals contention there 1-5 (1 NC).. I'd be filthy if I was Warners brother.
Yeah it’s definitely odd behaviour. My best man had to leave slightly early and I wasn’t thrilled, but it was still pretty late.
You would think a brother would stay and enjoy the whole day. Weddings especially those you are close to are often very memorable and a lot of fun.

Future family gatherings there will be conversations about the wedding and things that took place.
Where were you at the time Davey? Oh I was flying back to play a game of cricket that no one remembers.

There is every chance David has paid for the wedding. If he skips off early for a cricket match then fine.

Why would a cricketer’s brother schedule their wedding right in the middle of cricket season? Maybe he has the same opinion of Davey as the rest of us and was passively aggressively not inviting him :tearsofjoy:
Had to be difficult & have it on a Friday instead of a Saturday as well.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back