David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Test popularity is waning? Tell that to the crowds in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and probably Sydney next week.
[\quote]

Test cricket is bigger than what happens in Australia believe it or not, players like Warner create interest around the world not just here.

Also I never said anything about any other opener averaging better, I simply stated that the object was to win games. If you don't win, it doesn't matter if you have 11 David Warners player, people want to see their team winning.

Well if no other opener would average better, wouldn't Warner be the best option as an opener then? And 11 David Warners would be silly, he can't bowl well enough! :rolleyes:

Well if no other opener would average better, wouldn't Warner be the best option as an opener then? And 11 David Warners would be silly, he can't bowl well enough! :rolleyes:
As I said, I never mentioned his ability. I was simply questioning why you would care about him putting bums on seats before winning a game...

Well Warner wasn't happy with 60 that's for sure, but what would you rather: the insipid shit shot that Cowan went out on or someone getting caught on the boundary at least having a go? I know what I'd rather.

We're not talking about the final overs of a limited overs match, I'd rather a bit of self-control...

It's got **** all to do with Cowan

As I said, I never mentioned his ability. I was simply questioning why you would care about him putting bums on seats before winning a game...

Arses on seats = a more assured future for Test cricket, my favourite form of the game. And when you have a guy who does a good job and entertains, that ticks all of the boxes. He's the first bloke since Gilly that you really have to be at the telly to watch bat, once we've bowled a side out, that's when you want to be watching.

We're not talking about the final overs of a limited overs match, I'd rather a bit of self-control...

It's got **** all to do with Cowan

Yeah but (and I hate to use this cliche) that's the way he bats, you have to take the good with the bad. I'll compare him with Gilly again, he played some shit shots sometimes but **** me he was worth it (though he's not quite as consistent in Tests at the moment).

And it has everything to do with Cowan actually. For those who bag Warner, he's doing better than the only other comparable player in the side (they play the same position), so if Warner is being questioned bloody oath Cowan should be.

Arses on seats = a more assured future for Test cricket, my favourite form of the game. And when you have a guy who does a good job and entertains, that ticks all of the boxes. He's the first bloke since Gilly that you really have to be at the telly to watch bat, once we've bowled a side out, that's when you want to be watching.
But People will not watch it if they are losing. Do you really think that if Australia loses two ashes series in a row and the indian series, the next home series will be well attended? I doubt it. It wouldn't matter if we had Warner, Maxwell, Finch and all the other T20 players in there...

the_interloper, sure you can compare the overall performances of Warner and Cowan, my only gripe here was with the fashion Warner got out, not in comparison to how Cowan got out, not with the style of Warner's game, simply with the way he got out. I like Warner and believe him to be the best batsman for the position. Not because he's exciting, because he will score the most runs! And if you want Test cricket to survive by becoming more exciting to the masses by way of quick runs, then Test cricket may as well go to the pack. I want Test cricket to remain as is it, and always has been. That, to me, is intriguing, and is my form of excitement. I tire already of speaking with people about how 'boring' Ed Cowan is to watch. In that case, Test cricket is not for you. T20 is.

the_interloper, sure you can compare the overall performances of Warner and Cowan, my only gripe here was with the fashion Warner got out, not in comparison to how Cowan got out, not with the style of Warner's game, simply with the way he got out. I like Warner and believe him to be the best batsman for the position. Not because he's exciting, because he will score the most runs! And if you want Test cricket to survive by becoming more exciting to the masses by way of quick runs, then Test cricket may as well go to the pack. I want Test cricket to remain as is it, and always has been. That, to me, is intriguing, and is my form of excitement. I tire already of speaking with people about how 'boring' Ed Cowan is to watch. In that case, Test cricket is not for you. T20 is.

My problem is not with Ed Cowan being boring, it's that we need an opener who'll average more than 34. I loved Katich and if it wasn't for his little tiff with Clarke he might still be our opener. Katich did the Cowan sheet anchor role much better than Ed ever will, but there's not really any other blokes under 35 in shield cricket that can do it better unfortunately. If there's a Geoff Marsh or David Boon kicking around in the Shield at the moment I'd love to hear about them.

And yeah Warner is the best option i agree, shame you don't appreciate the excitement he brings as well. And sorry to tell you but Tests wont be the same as they once were, I reckon batsmen don't have the application and techniques to bat for the long periods that they once did. That has a lot to do (imo) with more options for sports as kids and the proliferation of shorter forms of the game. So yeah, we'll still be able to produce good middle order players, but the day of the consistent, bat-all-day opener may be gone. (Unless Alastair Cook becomes an Aussie).

Another good innings. Needs to model his batting on Sehwag's. Deserved a ton today but alas not to be.
disagree with this, warner has a better technique and plays more traditional shots then sehwag, sehwag is more stand and deliver less footwork, warner's two hobart innings show he can battle it out, was doing quite well against herath and eyes lit up for easy runs off dilshan, it was a good move by mahela.

Did anyone catch Gerard Whateley reading David Warner's tweet on Offsiders this morning?
What a tool! (DW, that is!)

One good day in one of the wort series Australia has ever played and he is behaving like a completely up-himself, arrogant little boy.

And then he only scores 8. Bad timing, Dave, all around!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner is the most overrated cricketer going around. Worse still he's a big mouth who routinely makes himself look stupid. I remember him trashing the Indian team in the 2011/12 tour saying he would make even more runs in India where the pitches are all flat dustbowls. Well how did that go Davey? First grade moron.

Lol'd at his second most recent tweet

Gee he doesn't mind having a crack at people on twitter ol' Davey...

Gee he doesn't mind having a crack at people on twitter ol' Davey...

It is obvious. We need to create a BigFooty Cricket Board twitter account and 'engage in frank discussions' with the players we love to support yell at.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back