David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Warner is an option long term, but in a one-off or two-off (Sydney follows back to back after Melbourne), then probably Hussey. The only thing against him is his previous captaincy experience. He captained Australia in a three match ODI series against New Zealand. They went like this:

Australia lost the first match by 10 wickets; the only such loss in Aussie ODI history;
New Zealand won the 2nd and third matches chasing down scores in excess of 300 on both occasions.

It was hands down Australia's worst ever ODI series result.

EDIT: I wrote that last bit from memory. The details are

2006-07 Chappell Hadlee series.

Match 1: Aus 148 all out (49.3 ov); NZ 0-149 (27.0 ov) won by 10 wickets;
Match 2: Aus 4-336 (50 ov); NZ 5-340 (48.4 ov) won by 5 wickets;
Match 3: Aus 5-346 (50 ov); NZ 9-350 (49.3 ov) won by 1 wicket.
Oh man, I watched every minute of those matches, was so shit!

I seem to recall Hussey captaining a one dayer or T20 and it being a complete disaster.

Edit: Someone has outline it above. You'd think he would make a good captain but he was fair dinkum horrible.
How can those losses be attributed to Hussey? We had some hacks like Mick Lewis playing at that time, wasn't the captains fault.

When everybody was losing their minds over him being a destructive T20 batsman, all he wanted to talk about was how desperate he was to prove himself worthy of a Baggy Green - based on that, I was hoping he'd make it.

I think Warner (and Hughes) are both very mentally tough youngsters, who have massive drive and determination to be quality, long term Test Cricketers for Australia; I hope they both make it, as they'd be a great pair to build the future around - if Khawaja can reach that level, all of a sudden, we have the makings of a very strong batting order for the next decade.

Hughes will be in Captaincy talks in the not too distant future.
lol only reason why hughes name will get mentioned is because he is clarkes best mate

lol only reason why hughes name will get mentioned is because he is clarkes best mate
Want to see his shield record this season? 518 runs at 51.8, 1 century, 3 fifties, and a high score of 158. 500 runs in 5 matches is very good batting.

i was referring to his name being mentioned as a possible captain
good cricket brain, actually and seems like a proactive sort of captain

fortunately my spelling will never affect the output of the australian cricket team, unlike warner being captain
It's more likely to, if you had any idea how good a cricketing brain Dave Warner is

We've seen it. Some good deliveries mixed with absolute shit... so kinda like Mitchell Johnson.
Needs to practice it, so we're not wasting a slot on an offie. Lol, Clarke and Warner can do Lyon's job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did watching him smash the shit out of it before that get you angry as well? You'd take a 60 odd from your opener every time, and he puts arses on seats too, he's awesome to watch.
The 60 was nice, but it's a bit of a waste and you definitely look like a dill when you fall for an obvious setup like that.

The 60 was nice, but it's a bit of a waste and you definitely look like a dill when you fall for an obvious setup like that.

It's going to happen with him, he has a go obviously and sometimes will go out looking a bit stupid. But on the sum of his parts you'd have him every time. Would be good if we had a good solid Boony type at number 3 because he'll go out cheaply occasionally, that's why I hate the idea of Hughes at 3.

Did watching him smash the shit out of it before that get you angry as well? You'd take a 60 odd from your opener every time, and he puts arses on seats too, he's awesome to watch.
I forgot the object of test cricket wasn't to win matches, it was to make money and put people on seats. We should just put Miranda Kerr in at number 3 then and tell her she can only wear a bikini...

I forgot the object of test cricket wasn't to win matches, it was to make money and put people on seats. We should just put Miranda Kerr in at number 3 then and tell her she can only wear a bikini...

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but actually you're slightly correct there. Test popularity is waning, a bloke who plays like Warner creates interest, puts arses on seats and he is changing the game as we speak.

And Warner is averaging 43 as an opener, he's doing better than his partner and is the best man for the job. What other opener in Australia would average better anyway?

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, but actually you're slightly correct there. Test popularity is waning, a bloke who plays like Warner creates interest, puts arses on seats and he is changing the game as we speak.

And Warner is averaging 43 as an opener, he's doing better than his partner and is the best man for the job. What other opener in Australia would average better anyway?
Apparently all these imaginary openers in state cricket who will average 60+ at Test level.

I am a Warner fan, but c'mon man! They just moved the guy right there! I do not want our openers to be happy with 60!

I am a Warner fan, but c'mon man! They just moved the guy right there! I do not want our openers to be happy with 60!

Well Warner wasn't happy with 60 that's for sure, but what would you rather: the insipid shit shot that Cowan went out on or someone getting caught on the boundary at least having a go? I know what I'd rather.

Test popularity is waning? Tell that to the crowds in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and probably Sydney next week.

Also I never said anything about any other opener averaging better, I simply stated that the object was to win games. If you don't win, it doesn't matter if you have 11 David Warners player, people want to see their team winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back