David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO most of the problem is in Vic, Sa, WA, too many kids are lost to footy.
In NSW/QLD, if you're not a specific body type (ie, if you grow a neck) you're ruled out of going anywhere with rugby/league pretty early.
In Vic/SA/WA almost any kids with half a shot at footy are going to dedicate to that; the pool is much smaller.

That's a good point, though I think you underestimate a little bit the potential pool size for rugby league/union. Certainly there are more body sizes and more dollars to be made in AFL, but NSW cricket still loses a few to the rugbies.

On a side note, I'm talking up NSW's efforts, but Tasmania is even more impressive. The amount of high-level domestic and international cricketers they produce is incredible for a state if their size, and all the while they also churn out footy players. It really is remarkable, they must have some bloody good systems in place.

I'm not arguing. I'm not saying all of the players are absolute guns. It's just that NSW clearly have by far the greatest number of batsmen who are performing at FC level, so it's no surprise that they're being selected.

Ideally, every state would be doing what NSW is doing. Australian cricket would be in a much stronger position.

Would part of the reason that NSW players have higher averages as a result of spreading around some of their games. Playing on smaller grounds of North Sydney & Bankstown?

I think Warner had to be called up there is nobody else in the country who is in form and deserving.

haha, what??? Surely that's not right.

We moved up a spot with our first test - virtually an innings loss - in 10 months???
The rankings are a joke!

We moved up spot after beating Sri Lanka, you know in that series a month ago?

Whilst I agree that Warner should have been called up....
To the people who think there is a bias towards NSW, I refer this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...eory-of-nsw-bias/story-fn2mcu3x-1226173123072

that story is bunch of crap. 12 players from NSW in the past 11 years(and that list is missing a few Lee and Katich for example), which would be about equal to the amount of players from the rest of the country debuting in that time.

It seems like the tie breaking statistic when thinking about the next player is your proximity to Sydney Airport.

There's really only two quality Test sides in international cricket at the moment. England and South Africa are pretty far ahead of the pack as they have quality batting and bowling lineups. India and Sri Lanka have paper thin bowling line ups and batting that, whilst still good, relies too heavily on ageing stars. Australia has very brittle batting and bowling - can be brilliant one hour, horrendous the next. The West Indies and Pakistan seem to be on an upward trend, with both teams seemingly having good captains for the first time in ages and developing some young talent, but it remains to be seen whether they can kick on.

that story is bunch of crap. 12 players from NSW in the past 11 years(and that list is missing a few Lee and Katich for example), which would be about equal to the amount of players from the rest of the country debuting in that time.

It seems like the tie breaking statistic when thinking about the next player is your proximity to Sydney Airport.

sydney airport? well it costs CA $$$ to have players from other states fly to sydney in order to fly out with the team. :D

yes the article was crap but i think it was written with tongue firmly in cheek. written equivalent to radios shock jocks - there to get a reaction.

Phil Hughes made a test hundred one match ago and people are screaming for him to be dropped.

Guess which state he plays for.

Prior to that hundred against a pop gun Sri Lanka attack on a pitch which was flatter than the Hume Highway, how did Hughes go?

His last 9 knocks against the poms he averages 16. His 1st innings average in all tests is 21.....

Brendan Julian wasn't joking when he said players making their debut for NSW receive both a blue and a green cap.

Brett Lee debuted in 1999, Simon Katich debuted as a West Australian.

People claim NSW bias, but can never give specific examples. There have been no more "unjustified" NSW selections than any other state. There have been plenty more justified NSW selections, because NSW has the biggest population and produces the most cricketers. Simple.

People claim NSW bias, but can never give specific examples. There have been no more "unjustified" NSW selections than any other state. There have been plenty more justified NSW selections, because NSW has the biggest population and produces the most cricketers. Simple.

Nathan Hauritz was a fringe NSW player when he got called into the team.
If Haddin wasn't from NSW I honestly believe he wouldn't be playing for Australia still.

But there are plenty of ones the other way as well, because NSW get extra media attention then any other state the Bias appears to be there when it is not as bad as what people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pat Cummins selection in unjustified IMO.

Yep. Steve Smith in the Ashes was as well. But that isn't evidence for a NSW bias. Unjustified selections happen all the time, from all states. Mitch Marsh was an unjustified selection, based on form (he did OK, thankfully).

Nathan Hauritz was a fringe NSW player when he got called into the team.
If Haddin wasn't from NSW I honestly believe he wouldn't be playing for Australia still.

Hauritz was justified. Once you put a strike through Casson and Krejza, which the selectors had, there was LITERALLY nobody else that looked even vaguely capable. At least Hauritz had some experience and had played a Test.

And Haddin? Really? Like there aren't any other examples of over-the-hill or out-of-form players that have been kept around way too long? Marcus North, Mike Hussey (thankfully repaid us in the end, but only after three years), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, the list goes on. Sticking with favourites is nothing new to CA, so to suggest it's because Haddin is from NSW is ludicrous.

Warner deserves his selection, but chances are he's not going to play, Khawaja will play before him, so why didn't they send Wade over and make a change that needed to be made?

Pat Cummins selection in unjustified IMO.

Yep. But so was Pattinson. It's more to do with Australia's instant erection whenever they hear about a new talented quick bowler/leg spinner.Given NSW has more people than any other state and as mentioned above don't have to fight with AFL - and of course a few NSW players did play Aussie Rules - it's hardly surprising we're producing more. And I don't think media bias has jack to do it.

Simon Cook, Matthew Nicholson, Michael Clarke (at time of debut), Brett Lee (at time of debut and large portion of his career), Steve Smith, Peter Taylor & Gavin Robertson just off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are others.

Yep. Steve Smith in the Ashes was as well. But that isn't evidence for a NSW bias. Unjustified selections happen all the time, from all states. Mitch Marsh was an unjustified selection, based on form (he did OK, thankfully).

Hauritz was justified. Once you put a strike through Casson and Krejza, which the selectors had, there was LITERALLY nobody else that looked even vaguely capable. At least Hauritz had some experience and had played a Test.

And Haddin? Really? Like there aren't any other examples of over-the-hill or out-of-form players that have been kept around way too long? Marcus North, Mike Hussey (thankfully repaid us in the end, but only after three years), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, the list goes on. Sticking with favourites is nothing new to CA, so to suggest it's because Haddin is from NSW is ludicrous.

If you read my full post, I actually said there are plenty of ones the other way as well, and that its media coverage not bias towards NSW that has these happen.

Perhaps settle down and realise I am not saying there is a bias towards NSW (I have thought there was one int he past, but when I take my Vic goggles off can see it is not there).

I have never agreed with Haddin being in the test side, that's my opinion and will always stick with it.

And with Hauritz, he should never have been brought in as Casson and Krejza never got the opportunity they had earn t to perform.

Neither Mitch Marsh or Steve Smith were initially bad selections. Mitch Marsh is too young but his stats in List A were and are good. Steve Smith had a very good Shield average so at least he did have runs on the board. It's only when you see him bat that you think WTF?

Simon Cook, Matthew Nicholson, Michael Clarke (at time of debut), Brett Lee (at time of debut and large portion of his career), Steve Smith, Peter Taylor & Gavin Robertson just off the top of my head.

I'm sure there are others.

Some of those are highly disputable. If you're going to include Clarke, for example, you can include Sean Marsh, who has had a similar record but for much longer. Brett Lee? I give you Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson. Not to mention the ridiculous fact that Nathan Hauritz and Steve O'Keefe, both from NSW remember, were axed and overlooked respectively for Xavier Doherty, Michael Beer and Nathan Lyon.

NSW have had their fair share of unjustified selections, but that's just the point. It's their fair share, no more. Unjustified selections come from all states, but people focus on the NSW ones to confirm their preconceived notion of a bias towards NSW.

If you read my full post, I actually said there are plenty of ones the other way as well, and that its media coverage not bias towards NSW that has these happen.

Perhaps settle down and realise I am not saying there is a bias towards NSW (I have thought there was one int he past, but when I take my Vic goggles off can see it is not there).

Sorry, I'm not meaning to attack you. But one moment you say there is no bias against NSW, another you say there is but it's overblown by the NSW media, and then you say that you firmly believe Haddin is only still in the side because he's from NSW. What do you expect me to think?

I have never agreed with Haddin being in the test side, that's my opinion and will always stick with it.

Fair enough, but you brought NSW into it, which is what I was objecting to.

And with Hauritz, he should never have been brought in as Casson and Krejza never got the opportunity they had earn t to perform.

Agree, but that's life. Casson (a NSWman) should have gone to India instead of White. Then he did his shoulder, got diagnosed with a heart defect, and faded into the background. Krejza came in, looked good on debut, faltered, but deserved to be persisted with. I actually don't think Krejza would have lasted long, his FC form after that point has been as average as it was before that point, but he deserved the chance.

In any case, Hauritz can't be put down as an unjustified selection, in the sense that the selectors were scared of playing Krejza and didn't like Casson so Hauritz was literally the only option.

The bias towards NSW is not so much the initial selection of players, its more the continous selection of those players when form doesnt warrant whilst other players dont get the same chances

Marcus North, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Mike Hussey. Meanwhile, Hughes gets dropped three Tests after scoring two tons in a game, and Doug Bollinger gets dumped for a guy that averages 7 runs higher than him in Test cricket.

Let's clear one thing up - Hauritz replaced Krejza the first time because Krejza got injured, and McGain was still injured. So it was hauritz v casson v aaron heal v dan doran v jon holland v doherty v cullens. eg it was a ****ing cripple fight and they went with hauritz 'cause he'd done a non-horrible job before, and it turns out he did a non-horrible job in that match.

And then Krejza returned for the next match, where Krejza was ****ing horrible eg played as his FC stats said he would. and they went back to Hauritz who did more non-horrible jobs. but in the end got dropped for mcgain. who did a horrible job. so they went back to hauritz, who not only continued with the non-horrible jobs, but even threw in a few good jobs. and then he got dropped for doherty'

[/non horrible post]

Let's clear one thing up - Hauritz replaced Krejza the first time because Krejza got injured, and McGain was still injured. So it was hauritz v casson v aaron heal v dan doran v jon holland v doherty v cullens. eg it was a ****ing cripple fight and they went with hauritz 'cause he'd done a non-horrible job before, and it turns out he did a non-horrible job in that match.

And then Krejza returned for the next match, where Krejza was ****ing horrible eg played as his FC stats said he would. and they went back to Hauritz who did more non-horrible jobs. but in the end got dropped for mcgain. who did a horrible job. so they went back to hauritz, who not only continued with the non-horrible jobs, but even threw in a few good jobs. and then he got dropped for doherty'

[/non horrible post]
IMHO every spinner since Warne will be remembered as nothing more than trivia questions.

Casson Beer Doherty McGain Krejza... about 15 wickets between them?

aaron heal... now there's a name that fell off the face of the planet.

after his 06/07 it looked like he might have had a future.... alas no

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back