David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be the most overhyped cricketer since, well, ever. In the last two 20/20's I have seen promo's of him standing in smoke staring at the camera, with channel 9 promoting him as the messiah of cricket. And all I heard about in the warm up to this 20/20 was how good that switch hit for six was.

Dont they realize KP hit a switch hit for six 5 years ago off Murali in a test match? The guy is a good player, but hits a good score once every 6 or 7 innings, yet they talk about him like he's the 20/20 version of Bradman or something.

Agreed, the channel 9 nsw commentary team fawning over him is sickening. Also their 20 20 pre game stuff about the warmups, the walk on with the captains, the player rankings, the hype over surprise surprise warner, all of it is pure drivel. Cut the pre game down, give me the teams, quick succint relevant interviews and some decent analysis. Channel 9 are really making these 20 20s so tacky, as bad as any quasi celebrity reality show.

Give me Sehwag's six nearly into the 2nd tier over the KP switch hit every day of the week. Warner usually is good to watch, but the Ch9 team are actually putting me off liking him. The wankfest is going way too far.

It was embarrasing when wade made his 50 yet they were talking about Warners short knock.

Great point. I was thinking that during the first 20/20. They even asked Wade during a rain delay what it was like to be opening with Warner. The dude had made around 20 while Wade was about 60* at the time. It's getting ridiculous.

Has to be the most overhyped cricketer since, well, ever. In the last two 20/20's I have seen promo's of him standing in smoke staring at the camera, with channel 9 promoting him as the messiah of cricket. And all I heard about in the warm up to this 20/20 was how good that switch hit for six was.

Dont they realize KP hit a switch hit for six 5 years ago off Murali in a test match? The guy is a good player, but hits a good score once every 6 or 7 innings, yet they talk about him like he's the 20/20 version of Bradman or something.

finally some one else agrees. Warner is a talent but is no where near as good as the media makes him out to be!. thanks to the NSW media and dull times he is very over rated and is up there with steve smith.

Ch.9 are carrying on like he's the Bradman of T20s, it's ridiculous.

Sure he's an exciting hitter but so is Sehwag, Gayle, McCullum, Gibbs etc. They are all just as good or better than Warner, he isn't really anything that special.

Poor man's finch :p

he's an ok to good player, with potential to get better.

In T20, an average of 25ish with a strike rate of around 150% is pretty damn good.

He goes the tonk, and wins some and loses some.

I thought he did ok.

A top order of Warner, Wade and Finch is pretty damn good.

I think one problem in the captaincy is that they want to trial stuff, and so switched it around, Bailey and hussey are too similar in styles to bat together.

Captaincy should be more flexible in organising the batting order.

Don't blame warner because slater and lawson are mongs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a good 20/20 player and can hit the ball but the hype is caused by the Channel 9. All the promos, the commentators sounding like they will have a heart attack each time he faces a ball, continuing to go on about him after he is out. The hype is sickening and getting to be a turnoff. And Warner doesnt need the hype, he isnt playing for a contract or anything.

I like Warner as a player but the hype is just turning me off. And it is not his fault either.

Listen to this type of bullship.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/warner-deserves-reward-for-risky-exploits-20120203-1qxlv.html

Honestly our Sydney based biased media gives everyone around this country the shites. Simply Warner is okay but only when he is hungry. He really couldn't have cared less last night. He thinks he is some sort of superman and plays without thought of the consequences.

He hit the ball straight down the Indians neck on the longest part of the ground and all anyone can talk about is that ridiculous reverse sweep.

Warner should be dropped immediately for even hitting such a shot.

I don't doubt he has talent but so did Phil Hughes.

What he needs to do is bat with some idea of how to attach an inninigs based on the scoreboard.

Cricket has always been about intelligence.

Warner shows very little.

Mark Nicholas, Stupid, stupid Micheal Slater (who is a joke), Tubby Taylor, the perennially obnoxious Tony Greig and the NSW mafia.

They destroy cricket listening for the viewer.

Channel 9 has become a hopeless parody of itself.

Billy Birmingham didn't do the stupidity justie.

$3.6 Billion in debt.

The only show that rates is Big Bang Theory which they repeat ad nassuim just so Penny can flash her gazzolas.

tumblr_lyu1plppne1qdzkroo1_1280.jpg

Kerry Packer would be turning in his grave.

Are we forgetting his test knocks already ? He's pretty much just started out. I reckon hes going to end up being one of the greatest batsman ever.
He's played two excellent innings in six tests.

The problem with Warner is that he's awesome one in every 5 or so innings, makes a quick 30 in 2 and looks utterly uncomfortable with the bat in the the other 2.

From last night, I don't see Finch as exciting as him, but he plays it along the ground and plays real cricket shots, often with the same kind of power as Dave.

The problem with Warner is that he's awesome one in every 5 or so innings, makes a quick 30 in 2 and looks utterly uncomfortable with the bat in the the other 2.

From last night, I don't see Finch as exciting as him, but he plays it along the ground and plays real cricket shots, often with the same kind of power as Dave.
Warner's test innings so far:
3, 12*, 15, 123*, 37, 5, 8, 180, 8, 28.

It is very early days of course.

Warner has actually won me over this summer. I always thought he was over-hyped and a one-trick pony, but his test career has given me hope for him. He will always bit a hit and miss player but this will even out more with experience.

I do think his big shots hide the fact he isnt making as many runs as we though he would in T20. Probably needs to average 5-10 more runs an inning for my liking.

But with a top 3 of Warner, Finch and Wade you would expect one of them to bat 10 overs at a strike rate of 150 while everyone else bats around them. Good top 3, but i will bet Finch doesnt play ahead of players like M Hussey, D Hussey and Bailey.

The real issue is Ch.9 and in particular Michael Slater. His man-love is so ridiculous it is embarrassing to watch. I came up with a drinking game that you should take a swig of beer every time slater mentions warner's name. You would be drunk within an over. Even when he goes out early he continues to talk about him for the rest of the game so its a good drinking game. (and stop shouting michael, we can hear you)

Yeah, they really make it extremely hard to watch. I'm not too sure what makes them think that this is the way it should be presented :confused:

Slater demonstrating the switch-hit over and over was just pure vomit-worthy.

And the carry on over the crowd... "massive crowd, the players are going to have a hard time communicating, it's deafening"

Well, ok. What about back in the mid nineties when you'd have 100,000 pissheads drinking full strength beer screaming non-stop?

All you heard was Bill saying "what a ground, what a crowd, this is what it's all about". The rest of the time the game just went on as usual. No fireworks or idiotic commentators wanking themselves over something that's not even there.

I'm going to ease up on my T20 hatred because it offends people, but c'mon, these games aren't even the foreskin on an MCG ODI from back in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back