Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10
Finn O'Sullivan - Sam Walsh like midfielder, has had injury issues, great mark overhead and has a good kicking technique, can rely on kick too much and not handball to team mates, probably needs to ball hog a bit when he comes back as people love poss numbers for high picks, but he has the traits to be a good afl player, not like H Reid or JHF or Naicos, who have burst on the scene, but not far off others imo

Levi Ashcroft - could craft a career as a deadeye goal kicking sml forw or as an accumulator midfielder like his brother, Shane Crawford had that trait also, except he had elite endurance I'm not sure on Levis, good link player or finisher, really good traits

Josh Smillie - big bodied, but a little slow which could turn some clubs off, beautiful kick, good decision maker, quick minded, best VM player at the u16s, just his running game is a weakness, some are claiming him as pick 1, but imagine if Cripps couldn't outrun opponents and you have Smillie, good but without that game breaking trait

Leonardo Lombard - GCS VFL Premiership player as a 16 yo and not being carried, speed, strength, good athletic family, tough, exciting talent, goal kicking mid.

Jack Whitlock - a player that grabbed my attention last year with a late contested mark to kick the winning goal for VC in an u17s game against Qld under pressure around 40m out, big moment, shows composure and a desire to win, he then comes out this year and is showing amazing speed for a 200cm player, massive upside, good physical traits, good mental traits, all he needs is to perform at the champs to secure a top 10 spot imo

Harry O'Farrell - doesn't get big disposal numbers, but has the traits to play quality footy at the top level Imo

Jagga Smith - very high work rate, accumulator midfielder, good evasion, good goal kicking, can grass kicks which is a big peev I have, seems to have favourite team mates which could cause issues.

Sid Draper - great work rate, accumulator with run on the outside, always projects as a high end talent, my only question mark is on his flat kicking at times

Luke Trainor - has been really good since his VM U16s days, but has taken another step in the preseason which I mentioned and then performed at CTL and for the Academy, I mentioned he looked like an AFL Defender in the preseason, I was thinking something like Membrey from St Kilda when he was a defender.

Jobe Shanahan - I was big on him as a prospect last year, his stats don't read as well as his talent which made me drop him a bit, but this kid has a lot of talent imo and I hope he shows it at the champs to justify my belief in him.

Other 1st round types imo (filling out top 30 atm)

Taj Hotton - he was close to ending the season top 5 if not for an acl injury, looking elite before his knee injury
Tobie Travaglia - 1 of my favourite players, great contesting medium defender with good use and run, wins a high percentage of contests
Jonty Faull - injury has been an issue this year, but the way he finished last year, has him primed for 1st round in the draft imo
Josh Murphy - burst player in the forward line, goal kicker, good in a contest
Tyler Welsh - short athletic kpf, might have to play 3rd tall forw at the next level like a Jack Gunston/Fritsch type
Christian Moraes - good midfielder without being great, can be up and down in form depending on mood
Lucas Camporeale - quick, smart and skilful player, perfect for a wing or hbf
Ben Camporeale - more endurance based accumulator, I still like Lucas a bit more, even though Ben gets the media plaudits
Zaydyn Lockwood - tall athletic, flexible KPD from Bendigo, watch out for him at the champs, have not heard much talk about him, but he has great potential
Joe Berry - another 1 that lacks media attention, but could be a better small forward prospect than Kako which is a surprise, great speed and can sniff out a goal
Phoenix Hargrave - has dropped down the order because I have not seen much of him this year, but was a big part of the u16s champs win, won awards last year in the sanfl u18s and was good at the champs last year, just a quality player
Tom Gross - when he brings that manic energy, he is a force to be reckoned with, but when he doesn't can look average, he's a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde type of player, can look top 10 worthy at times and barely 1st round worthy at others, roll of the dice
Xavier Lindsay - really good hard working player, reminds me of Xavier Duursma, good at everything without being great at something
Noah Mraz - tall, good contested player, need to check on his combine results to determine where he goes
Harvey Langford - strong mark of the footy, showing forward craft after his midfield work last year, seems to have a strong personality too which is a good sign he can handle the pressures at the next level
Cooper Hynes - he has developed his athletic qualities and has a good turn of speed, a little introverted, but at times showed star potential at Dandenong with his speed from the centre contest, goal kicking is a weakness....
Bo Allan - showing potential as a tall midfield, greater than his decent defender play, developing flexibility to his game which I think is increasing his value
Matt Whitlock - he is a serviceable KPD, he reminds me of Ben McKay of the McKay brothers, he fills a need and can be decent at times, but he ain't great
Isaac Kako - very confident, loves to put on a show with a goal and has developed his defensive game, all good signs, speed and x factor
Jesse Dattoli - strong contested forward, who can kick a nice goal and has been on the radar for awhile, good mark, smart player

Last edited:

Top 10
Finn O'Sullivan - Sam Walsh like midfielder, has had injury issues, great mark overhead and has a good kicking technique, can rely on kick too much and not handball to team mates, probably needs to ball hog a bit when he comes back as people love poss numbers for high picks, but he has the traits to be a good afl player, not like H Reid or JHF or Naicos, who have burst on the scene, but not far off others imo

Levi Ashcroft - could craft a career as a deadeye goal kicking sml forw or as an accumulator midfielder like his brother, Shane Crawford had that trait also, except he had elite endurance I'm not sure on Levis, good link player or finisher, really good traits

Josh Smillie - big bodied, but a little slow which could turn some clubs off, beautiful kick, good decision maker, quick minded, best VM player at the u16s, just his running game is a weakness, some are claiming him as pick 1, but imagine if Cripps couldn't outrun opponents and you have Smillie, good but without that game breaking trait

Leonardo Lombard - GCS VFL Premiership player as a 16 yo and not being carried, speed, strength, good athletic family, tough, exciting talent, goal kicking mid.

Jack Whitlock - a player that grabbed my attention last year with a late contested mark to kick the winning goal for VC in an u17s game against Qld under pressure around 40m out, big moment, shows composure and a desire to win, he then comes out this year and is showing amazing speed for a 200cm player, massive upside, good physical traits, good mental traits, all he needs is to perform at the champs to secure a top 10 spot imo

Harry O'Farrell - doesn't get big disposal numbers, but has the traits to play quality footy at the top level Imo

Jagga Smith - very high work rate, accumulator midfielder, good evasion, good goal kicking, can grass kicks which is a big peev I have, seems to have favourite team mates which could cause issues.

Sid Draper - great work rate, accumulator with run on the outside, always projects as a high end talent, my only question mark is on his flat kicking at times

Luke Trainor - has been really good since his VM U16s days, but has taken another step in the preseason which I mentioned and then performed at CTL and for the Academy, I mentioned he looked like an AFL Defender in the preseason, I was thinking something like Membrey from St Kilda when he was a defender.

Jobe Shanahan - I was big on him as a prospect last year, his stats don't read as well as his talent which made me drop him a bit, but this kid has a lot of talent imo and I hope he shows it at the champs to justify my belief in him.

Other 1st round types imo (filling out top 30 atm)

Taj Hotton - he was close to ending the season top 5 if not for an acl injury, looking elite before his knee injury
Tobie Travaglia - 1 of my favourite players, great contesting medium defender with good use and run, wins a high percentage of contests
Jonty Faull - injury has been an issue this year, but the way he finished last year, has him primed for 1st round in the draft imo
Josh Murphy - burst player in the forward line, goal kicker, good in a contest
Tyler Welsh - short athletic kpf, might have to play 3rd tall forw at the next level like a Jack Gunston/Fritsch type
Christian Moraes - good midfielder without being great, can be up and down in form depending on mood
Lucas Camporeale - quick, smart and skilful player, perfect for a wing or hbf
Ben Camporeale - more endurance based accumulator, I still like Lucas a bit more, even though Ben gets the media plaudits
Zaydyn Lockwood - tall athletic, flexible KPD from Bendigo, watch out for him at the champs, have not heard much talk about him, but he has great potential
Joe Berry - another 1 that lacks media attention, but could be a better small forward prospect than Kako which is a surprise, great speed and can sniff out a goal
Phoenix Hargrave - has dropped down the order because I have not seen much of him this year, but was a big part of the u16s champs win, won awards last year in the sanfl u18s and was good at the champs last year, just a quality player
Tom Gross - when he brings that manic energy, he is a force to be reckoned with, but when he doesn't can look average, he's a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde type of player, can look top 10 worthy at times and barely 1st round worthy at others, roll of the dice
Xavier Lindsay - really good hard working player, reminds me of Xavier Duursma, good at everything without being great at something
Noah Mraz - tall, good contested player, need to check on his combine results to determine where he goes
Harvey Langford - strong mark of the footy, showing forward craft after his midfield work last year, seems to have a strong personality too which is a good sign he can handle the pressures at the next level
Cooper Hynes - he has developed his athletic qualities and has a good turn of speed, a little introverted, but at times showed star potential at Dandenong with his speed from the centre contest, goal kicking is a weakness....
Bo Allan - showing potential as a tall midfield, greater than his decent defender play, developing flexibility to his game which I think is increasing his value
Matt Whitlock - he is a serviceable KPD, he reminds me of Ben McKay of the McKay brothers, he fills a need and can be decent at times, but he ain't great
Isaac Kako - very confident, loves to put on a show with a goal and has developed his defensive game, all good signs, speed and x factor
Jesse Dattoli - strong contested forward, who can kick a nice goal and has been on the radar for awhile, good mark, smart player
Reading through that makes it sound like a bit of a dud year

SA V Allies (87-75)

Dyson Sharp was probably best on ground - he would be pick 1 this year if available, Sam Marshall got most disposals I think?, Evan Bradley looks like a quality sml forward who i have to add to my rankings, mostly the known players playing well...(Camporeale brothers, Draper, Herbert, Newton and Hargrave - although he looks slow) (Lombard, Uwland, Depaoli-Kubank, Marshall, Annable, Shanahan - 0 goals, Sulzberger and Murphy)

MSD option Noah Howes didn't look great, but he did kick a couple goals.

Last edited:
Jagga Smith 50 touches for Oakleigh today and they still lost..
The kid can play. He seems to have matured with his playing style as well.
On another note what is going on with Oakleigh. I thought last year was bad enough but this year is worse, they haven’t won a game. I saw they were recruiting for an assistant a couple of weeks back. The coaching merry go round continues there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid can play. He seems to have matured with his playing style as well.
On another note what is going on with Oakleigh. I thought last year was bad enough but this year is worse, they haven’t won a game. I saw they were recruiting for an assistant a couple of weeks back. The coaching merry go round continues there.
I wrote a fair bit about Oakleigh after rd2 of Coates. It was a real mess even with all the APS kids available. Poor preseason arrangements, poor coaching, no game plan or system.
From what I understand they got a bit of what for from AFL pathway execs.
Also from what was told to me they could have got Jackson Kornberg as coach. Best junior/development coach in the country

I wrote a fair bit about Oakleigh after rd2 of Coates. It was a real mess even with all the APS kids available. Poor preseason arrangements, poor coaching, no game plan or system.
From what I understand they got a bit of what for from AFL pathway execs.
Also from what was told to me they could have got Jackson Kornberg as coach. Best junior/development coach in the country
Doesn’t sound like it’s got much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back