Day After Day After New Year Test: Australia v India @ Sydney (Tue-Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can't be too hard on the umpires being very paranoid about the no balls in this game.

If they give an Indian batsman (let alone Sachin) out off a no ball it could be career ending.

If you had a task to do which if you got wrong would lead to the end of your career and you could easily get it checked, would you?

While I agree that the should be able to see a no-ball (especially some of the ones they've checked today), I have no issue with them checking them for a wicket - saves the whinging that would otherwise result (although we're getting plenty when they do check it, so I guess they are dammed if they do, dammed if they don't). At least they can concentrate on the other elements of dismissal when they aren't having to bother with no-balls.
Yes I am all for getting the correct decision in every decision. Im for DRS. But why has it come in, like its as popular as an iphone?

Its incredibly frustrating to see, and to see umpires wilt under pressure.

I'm guessing soon enough we will have technology where the computer will automatically detect if no part of the front foot was behind the line and a simple beep or something will be sounded in the umpire's ear piece.

Should've gone with the 4 quicks!

Lyon simply doesn't worry these blokes.
Reasonably fair to say they could have been all out by now if Harris was playing. He'd have loved to have bowled on this pitch and could have helped keep the pressure on them the whole way through the innings. Hopefully Lyon will have some sort of impact in the 2nd innings. Otherwise, come on down Ryano in Perth. That could be carnage!

Reasonably fair to say they could have been all out by now if Harris was playing. He'd have loved to have bowled on this pitch and could have kept the pressure on them the whole way through. Hopefully Lyon will have some sort of impact in the 2nd innings. Otherwise, come on down Ryano in Perth! That could be carnage!

How fit is Harris?

You can't be too hard on the umpires being very paranoid about the no balls in this game.

If they give an Indian batsman (let alone Sachin) out off a no ball it could be career ending.

If you had a task to do which if you got wrong would lead to the end of your career and you could easily get it checked, would you?

its pretty simple as an umpire- if he is close to the crease, tell him. If he continues to bowl so its to close to tell- call him a couple of times and then he will bring his foot back to a spot that you can see comfortably. This indecision after wickets is not good for the game and needs addressing.

How fit is Harris?
How fit has he ever been since he started playing for Australia? That is probably the only real question mark. If it wasn't for that, it would be a no-brainer (especially in Perth, where he took 9 wickets last year), as Harris has been about as good as anyone in the world in the past 12 months.
He's played 4 competitive games back from injury though and also was bowling to the team in the nets during the Boxing day test (which was a week ago already) and I don't believe they would have picked him in this squad if he wasn't "fit", so he's probably fit enough and hopefully will be even more come Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm guessing soon enough we will have technology where the computer will automatically detect if no part of the front foot was behind the line and a simple beep or something will be sounded in the umpire's ear piece.

God I hope not, why have bloody umpires, I hate all the tech bullshit, whole lot should be left to umpires decision, correct or not, just as the footy is

God I hope not, why have bloody umpires, I hate all the tech bullshit, whole lot should be left to umpires decision, correct or not, just as the footy is

Except that goal line technology is being brought in to get rid of umpire **** ups.

The whole point of an umpire is to correctly apply the rules, there is no legitimate reason to have their decisions stand if they can be quickly and clearly shown to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back