Day After Day After New Year Test: Australia v India @ Sydney (Tue-Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to give props to McDermott for the change in bowling plans. No more is Siddle just banging it into the deck all day - the bowling just seems smarter from all of them.

As for Lyon, I just don't get the criticism. How many chances has he had to bowl long spells on day 4 and 5 when spinners are most dangerous? His chance will come and they need him in the side for that - sooner or later a couple of Indian batsmen are going to find form and bat for a long time on a dead track. Until then the bowling attack are doing the job superbly so why even spend any time discussing the bowling side of things?

Punter's last few tests have been good. Those 60s were extremely valuable, his 62 in the second innings against SA was vital and his 78 against NZ was positive. He is no where near the batsmen he was though. This is Ponting fighting, more than Ponting batting.

You have to give props to McDermott for the change in bowling plans. No more is Siddle just banging it into the deck all day - the bowling just seems smarter from all of them.

As for Lyon, I just don't get the criticism. How many chances has he had to bowl long spells on day 4 and 5 when spinners are most dangerous? His chance will come and they need him in the side for that - sooner or later a couple of Indian batsmen are going to find form and bat for a long time on a dead track. Until then the bowling attack are doing the job superbly so why even spend any time discussing the bowling side of things?

When the pacemen bowl the opposition out convincingly in 3 innings, the spinner is there as a support.

We haven't had a 5th day pitch for him to bowl on against the indians yet :D

Even in this test if we can't get a convincing lead of 200 plus, I'd be nervous if it was stretched out to the 5th day and we had to bat last chasing 200 plus.

pretty commanding position at stumps today. the lead is only 70 odd runs and 7 wickets still in the shed. apart from the 3 quick strikes to zaheer, you'd have to say it was a pretty comprehensive performance

especially with dhoni winning the toss and batting first, and despite his best efforts his team couldnt even crack 200.

They have to have a lead of at least 200 tomorrow

concur, don't trust us on a late 4th early 5th day wicket chasing 200 odd.

That said, I'm off for tonight. Its been a fun day of cricket, and a fun day on BF when I've been on.

Hope everyone enjoyed it except for our indian cousins.

take care all :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to be Siddle's biggest critic but right now he's fitter, bowling the right line and length and importantly bowling 6-7kmh faster consistently without dropping off. His use of the short ball, for that reason, is intimidating as well as his movement off the seam. McDermott has be a godsend turning two "losers" (want of a better word) at this level,Siddle and Hilfenhaus, into genuine top class Test bowlers.

Ashes next year just throw Harris, Pattinson, Cummins and Siddle at them. Mid 140s-150, penetrating, accurate and intimidating.

I used to be Siddle's biggest critic but right now he's fitter, bowling the right line and length and importantly bowling 6-7kmh faster consistently without dropping off. His use of the short ball, for that reason, is intimidating as well as his movement off the seam. McDermott has be a godsend turning two "losers" (want of a better word) at this level,Siddle and Hilfenhaus, into genuine top class Test bowlers.

Ashes next year just throw Harris, Pattinson, Cummins and Siddle at them. Mid 140s-150, penetrating, accurate and intimidating.

Whilst your other criticisms of Siddle are justified, one thing Siddle has always done is play with a lot of heart and given consistent effort (and speed) until the end of the day.

If it wasn't clear before it should be now that Siddle and Johnson or any other expensive bowler can't be in the same side together. Hilfy and Pattinson kept it tight from their ends which ensured Siddle could do what he usually does.

Still not sold on Warner. Appears to me he had one good innings, got a compliment from Sehwag who is his IPL teammate, and now Warner is the Aussie version of Sehwag who has cemented his place in the team???

Still unproven like Cowan and Marsh for international cricket at this stage.

Going against popular opinion on here, I don't get all the defense of Lyon. So far in 3 innings he has not taken 1 top order batsman. And the excuses for leaving him in for the WACA game are bewildering.

1) We need him to settle and know he isn't under pressure to keep his spot each test match.

- kidding right? Marsh isn't making any runs batting, but everyone is quite happy to have him dropped. Double standards much?

2) He gives our fast bowlers a break.

- another joke. Replace Lyon with Harris, and our other 3 bowlers get just as much of a break. Let Hussey and Warner and Clarke roll their arm over for a bit. They look just as likely taking a wicket as Lyon.

3) The extra bounce at the WACA will help his bowling.

- am I missing something here? The extra bounce and pace is more helpful to fast bowlers than spin bowlers. And if the WACA pitch doesn't offer any turn, then Lyon is just a massive liability.

4) He's the spin bowler we've been looking for since Warne.

- who says? Based on what evidence? We've had a few spin bowlers come and go in the time since Warnes retirement, and the reason they haven't hung around is they are not up to scratch. So far Lyon has done nothing whatsoever to prove he will be any different, and we should aim to win the WACA test and this series in Perth, and Harris/Watson is looking much more like helping us achieve that at this stage.

^^^ In fairness to Lyon fortunately their top order haven't been around too long for him to have a real crack at them.

Plus unlike the Kiwis, they play spin very well, probably the best in the world.

Having said that if Pup could roll his arm over we could play another quick atleast in Perth, but Lyon may benefit from the bounce there as he did at the Gabba.

Interesting which way they go for the Perth test.

Lyon has done nothing whatsoever to prove he'll be any different? Well that's a load of shit. 5fa on debut against the Sri Lankans, 7fa over a whole match in his first Test in Oz.... Was more than handy against South Africa too. The Indians just play spin well, and the pitches haven't exactly suited his bowling so far. He'll be fine come days 3, 4 and 5 of this match if it goes that far.

I'd be tempted to play Harris ahead of him in Perth, but he should definitely come back in for Adelaide. Also, none of our other bowlers have got a massive compliment from the best off spinner we've had in this country, Ashley Mallett.

The rest of your post has some merit, but the last part about how he hasn't proved to be any different than the 13 other spinners since Warnie... well, that's just a baseless opinion with no merit whatsoever.

Hopefully Lyon goes better in the second dig, he did really well at the Gabba since then the pitches haven't suited him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back