Daylesford Crash Royal Hotel Beer Garden.

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is true then surprised the local council did not require energy absorbing bollards be installed around the outside dining area as is required in many high traffic outdoor dining areas elsewhere?
The area is behind barrier kerb and is well offset from the road, at least 5m on all sides, so no requirement for traffic barriers or railing under the road design guide or VicRoads standards. Anyone who looked at this would have agreed it is a low risk setting under the current framework.

And also knowing the area well, anyone who could see this accident happening must have daily visions of cars mowing down pedestrians on footpath as that beer garden was in no more of a high risk situation than having footpaths next to roads or having cafe's/restaurants with seating areas next to parking.

I can't fathom how you could end up there coming down the hill. Unless people were seated right on the corner next to the roundabout it's really hard to understand. Too much speed down the hill I would have thought you would end up on the opposite side of the road.

for a car to end up in one of the hotels from an accident a lot of speed must have been involved.
Police have said they do not believe excessive speed was an issue.

The driver of the white BMW SUV remains in hospital.

Police have also confirmed the driver was breath tested and had no alcohol in his system. Police will interview the driver later this afternoon.

Panic? Distracted by phone or something else, looks up, realises they are about to crash and hit the accelerator instead of brake.

Could be. I got my thongs twisted up on the accelerator once and I couldn't get to the brake, never again do I drive in thongs.

Look I get hitting the accelerator for a few meters, but not keeping your foot on it for meters on end.

I just think it’s a shithouse excuse.
At what point do you realise “oh s**t I’m going forwards”

“Oh sorry, I’ve killed all these people because I accidentally hit the accelerator instead of the break, my bad”

I cannot accept that excuse. IF it is found out to be the cause.

I didn’t realise it was a long distance, that’s a bit different then.

I didn’t realise it was a long distance, that’s a bit different then.
I’m not saying it was, I’m just looking at the picture that juggers posted above, and that looks like a decent distance between the roundabout and the pub.
Again this is just speculation. Hopefully we hear from the driver soon.

I’m not saying it was, I’m just looking at the picture that juggers posted above, and that looks like a decent distance between the roundabout and the pub.
Again this is just speculation. Hopefully we hear from the driver soon.

A fair few years ago now, a local woman crashed into her father and her child. Killed her child and seriously injured her father. Terrible situation.

A combination of things happened. It was a new rental house, and a new company car.

Mum had only recently returned to work. It was the first sunny day since she’d returned, so granddad sat out on the verandah with baby to wait for mum.

No carport, car was parked on the front lawn.

But this time she was slightly more to the left and hit a buried tree root, that bought her suddenly closer to the house and even though she wasn’t going fast, in that split second she panicked and slammed the accelerator instead of the brake. Just tragic.

Most likely hit the bottom of Albert St too fast and could't stop in time or hit the accelerator instead of the brake, and straight over the curb. Not exactly through the beer garden and you'd think you'd be pretty safe here enjoying the sun on sunday evening. So tragic

View attachment 1847096
Given the number of accidents due to either medial episodes or confusing accelerator & break peddles, there needs to be more car proof bollards used.

In SA it appears weekly someone drives through a shop front.

It's only going to get worse with more elderly driving than ever (not that this guy was too old).

Given the number of accidents due to either medial episodes or confusing accelerator & break peddles, there needs to be more car proof bollards used.
Nah! There needs to be more licenses revoked and better driving tests.
You would be surprised by how many unsafe and accidents waiting to happen there are driving on the roads.
Driving should be a privilege, not a right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You would be surprised by how many unsafe and accidents waiting to happen there are driving on the roads.

Problem is parents teaching their kids - especially if the parents themselves are muppets on the road.

Driving instructors have to go through a lot of hoops to be able to teach people to drive, whereas parents just can get in the car and do what they want.

Legislation needs to change that people get their hours through accredited driving instructors only. Would go a long way in solving a lot of issues.

I agree with that too... but still won't prevent all accidents.

Sentiments many would agree with.

But on available evidence, none of which would likely have prevented this accident.

A reminder that the driver is not known to police, has no prior driving convictions and returned a negative alcohol reading at the scene.

Problem is parents teaching their kids - especially if the parents themselves are muppets on the road.

Driving instructors have to go through a lot of hoops to be able to teach people to drive, whereas parents just can get in the car and do what they want.

Legislation needs to change that people get their hours through accredited driving instructors only. Would go a long way in solving a lot of issues.

Maybe not all their hours, but it would certainly help to require a minimum number of hours done with an accredited instructor to ensure a certain basic standard of driving.

The number of people that can't even merge properly is astounding.

This is the first I've heard that the driver was diabetic and needed 'immediate treatment'. He may well have had a hypo. What a terrible turn of events.
Many years ago when I was a a graduate I had a one-on-one meeting with my then chief executive and about 20 minutes in he was all of a sudden talking gibberish and looking very sleepy. I went out to tell his PA who said he was diabetic and was having a hypoglycaemic episode. She rushed in with a handful of lollies (I kid you not) and he soon recovered.

She told me that he was so busy he often forgot to do his glucose monitoring and so she made sure there was always a plate of biscuits on his desk for just such an incident (the biscuits were there but I didn't know the drill).

It was all very sudden and scary.

So from that one personal incident I can definitely imagine how a diabetic could have a quick onset 'seizure' (if that's the right word?). It also fits with the description of him not moving and just staring ahead after the accident.

I'm sure the medicos who attended him after the accident will easily be able to confirm if this is what happened.

Many years ago when I was a a graduate I had a one-on-one meeting with my then chief executive and about 20 minutes in he was all of a sudden talking gibberish and looking very sleepy. I went out to tell his PA who said he was diabetic and was having a hypoglycaemic episode. She rushed in with a handful of lollies (I kid you not) and he soon recovered.

She told me that he was so busy he often forgot to do his glucose monitoring and so she made sure there was always a plate of biscuits on his desk for just such an incident (the biscuits were there but I didn't know the drill).

So from that one personal incident I can definitely imagine how a diabetic could have a quick onset 'seizure' (if that's the right word?). It also fits with the description of him not moving and just staring ahead after the accident.

I'm sure the medicos who attended him after the accident will easily be able to confirm if this is what happened.

Lollies, or usually specifically jellybeans, are carried by type 1 diabetics for that very reason - I live with a type 1 diabetic. Jellybeans can provide a quick sugar fix.

As you say, that scenario would match the available facts, assuming there are no other facts held back from public consumption for any reason. (Not trying to suggest any conspiracy or anything, police or his lawyer may be aware of other facts that have not been made public.)

You described a hypo very well. It's not usually a seizure as such, they become confused then drowsy and finally comatose. People can fit from hypo's, though that's more likely in little kiddies. if you are in the presence of someone who goes off in that way it's worth trying them with a lolly or sugary drink to see if they improve. It's amazing how quickly they improve.

Just did the Daylesford Antique and Collectables Fair on the weekend so commuting past the site.
On Friday the Police Chopper landed on the oval at Victory Park...a practise run & check on possible evacuation/emergency response. They've also put 3 camera's in town and the locals were laughing about the fact that one was right on 'the spot'.
And their dotting their i's and crossing their t's with the forensic's as you already know.

The vibe in Daylesford......the weekend before from a 20 year regular dealer, "the worst Daylesford Market in 20 years. Crickets. 2 cars at the Motel." This weekend...the Fair was a right off...feel sorry for the organiser as this is a 3month project for her and she just covered expenses. Crowd was down to less than 20% of last year......it's not just the accident as the economy is crumbling hard on the interest rates and inflation.

Commuting through from the Maine over 3 days, it was not as packed on the weekend as normal but yes, there were peeps sitting outside the hotel on the verandah...defiance does a country tourist town good.
The shrine of flowers...a mound infront as you go by,no other sign on the actual site cleared back to lawn.
There were still dickhead dopey drivers including-frustrated locals-dangerously slow tourist's thinking,"don't know where I'm going, oh wow look at that", who stop, in the middle of the street or let's go 60kmph in a 100km zone.

On the road, 1 full stop for one Eastern Grey Kangaroo a Boomer just owning the road and 1 full stop for a wallaby who had to be beeped off the road in slow motion. (Must have been an oldie otherwise you never see them that slow or hanging out in the middle of a road).

But back to Daylesford...word is a lot of peeps who moved there in the last decade (Blowin's) are looking to buy elsewhere (Castlemaine being their prime target), as it's not the quiet countrytown they thought and living in a town the relies on tourism is not a comfy, cosy place to be. 'A Country Practice' has a lot to answer for here.....The Maine has it's own issues she says, elbowing out the 'trustfund babies' and 'crafty retirees'......who all just get in the EV when they want to go down the steet and still can't get used to the fact that there is no UberEats and nowhere to eat on a Sunday (btw both the Blue Seas and the corner fish n'chips were closed for the last fortnight on holidays...go figure. My recommendation is Nem ((down from the old Coles variety Store)) is a great new Veitnamese branching out from Bendigo).
Mind you for a town that relies on tourism this accident and subsequent publicity (Again this morning on the ABC radio...yet more handwringing locals wanting to push the envelope a little further...don't they get that it's not good for their town to keep on about it in a negative spin?) might put it back to the dark ages. All those small businesses are suffering and this is their 4 month season, that after Cvd are rebuilding like most in our fair State.

Old mate at the Daylesford Fair, went into town for a feed on friday night, wasn't impressed to pay $100 for 2 for ordinary fare. I told him where the fish'n'chip shop was and he was very happy on Sunday...."super clean, the steak sanga was beootiful and son had 2 peices of great fish."
Daylesford has it's beauty, the gardens at this time of year are gorgeous and going to Mount Franklin...is the most amazing natural phenonema...even if the vibe is very dark...To paraphrase Uncle Ricky, this was where the rounded up the Dja Dja Wurung and made a reservation on the bad weather side where they died of cold and starved.
Like all of country......
Like all country towns...Daylesford needs visitors...but don't drive like a muppet out there.

You described a hypo very well. It's not usually a seizure as such, they become confused then drowsy and finally comatose. People can fit from hypo's, though that's more likely in little kiddies. if you are in the presence of someone who goes off in that way it's worth trying them with a lolly or sugary drink to see if they improve. It's amazing how quickly they improve.
Yep, well said.

My wife has red frogs at hand whereer she is. Shes fortunate in the fact she can feel a hypo coming on, even while sleeping.

Yep, well said.

My wife has red frogs at hand whereer she is. Shes fortunate in the fact she can feel a hypo coming on, even while sleeping.
Glad to see red frogs are of some use, always preferred the green. Some folks get little or no warning, which can make life very difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Daylesford Crash Royal Hotel Beer Garden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back