Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillips or Thomas ( to a lesser extent ) can GTFO with Pick 18 and bring back a favorite son

Wow what a power midfield we’ll have especially if we get 18+ games out of Wells and Sier gets to another level

Footy is about ball movement doesn’t matter how big or small your defence or forwards are!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s say we get Beams and hence we think Langdon then gone and assuming it’s through picks our best 22 might look like this.
Assume we get May.
Caveat let’s assume Wells is fully fit and good then the 22:
How we do all this? Who knows but you’d think May/Langdon is tied in.
No May, it’s Dunn ofcourse.

B. Scharenberg ~ May ~ Maynard
HB. Howe ~ Moore ~ Crisp
C. Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Beams
HF. Hoskin-Elliott ~ De Goey ~ Wells
F. Elliott ~ Cox ~ Stephenson
R. Grundy ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Adams
I. Mihocek ~ Sier ~ Phillips ~ Thomas

E. McLarty, Murphy, Mayne, Greenwood
Interesting squad.
I think you have to forget Wells. It's long odds he'll get fit enough and even then I'm far from convinced he's anywhere near the player he was. Anything meaningful from Scharenberg from here is a bonus and I can't see him theer early in the season. McLarty is nowhere near it from the VFL finals I saw. Handyish at VFL level based on soime of games through the year but miles short of AFL quality at this point IMO. I don't think Mihocek can play off the bench. He's too limited IMO. We do need Elliot to stand up but who knows. There is plenty of scope to slot good players into our 22. Murphy is one who I think can slot into the 22 and based on Sier'd progression this season he has to play. I'd love to see if he can be a bit more versatile. Maybe more forward time with De Goey in the midfield more, particualry is Elliot is fit. I still think Goldsack will play a lot of games given his versatility.

Ned guy has his work cut out to keep Langdon, and pick up beams and may. Trade period just got interesting

Happy with just the latter two there.

I was already happy to lose Langdon on its own but now if losing Langdon can help progress May and Beams than I’ll drive Tom to Sydney myself.

Brisbane want Neale, they will want our first and probably Langdon’s pick. Jt will not be going.
To my mind Beams takes Thomas' spot so it makes sense to see if they want him. I have no idea what Thomas or either club think about that. If Brisbane offer a decent pay rise Thomas may well look at a return home. He can't be on a lot with us and we probably can't offer him much more.

Beamo going nowhereo

That’s what I reckon.

I simply don’t see how it gets done unless Brisbane completely have changed how they deal with us and are willing to let him go for unders due to his mental health issues.

My guess is we don’t get him and he asks to be traded again at the end of next year.

That’s what I reckon.

I simply don’t see how it gets done unless Brisbane completely have changed how they deal with us and are willing to let him go for unders due to his mental health issues.

My guess is we don’t get him and he asks to be traded again at the end of next year.

95% of the time the deals get done, Im sure they were pre discussions regarding him coming back, a deal with Phillips and #18 involved should be more then enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding of the situation as it played out is
In his last season with us, he was spending regular time up in Qld visiting his father each week. He and his father were very tight.
His brother was also playing at Brisbane as you'll recall.
He understandably had an urgency to get back to be closer with his father who lived on the GC but may have been treated regularly in Brisbane.
Ed supported him through this and told him he'll always be one of us.

Beams was advised by a member of the Club senior executive not to attend the Copeland and say his goodbyes. I think he regrets taking that advice.

Now, his father has passed, his mother and sister live in Victoria, his partner's family are based in Victoria too. His brother is not on Brisbane's senior list any longer. He would be interested in returning to Collingwood as he knows he left a supportive environment and guys like Sidebottom behind.

My sense is that Beams is fragile mentally for various reasons. He's a great player, but not really a priority for our list as I see it. Still, WCE's big bodies did get the better of our midfield in both finals. On paper, Beams would help in this respect. He also knows how to kick a goal. But I wonder whether he'd turn up on GF day given his lacklustre finals track record and his fragility exhibited with relinquishing the captaincy etc.
His body is also pretty banged up I gather. He may not have more than 3 seasons in him.

I wouldn't want to pay up for him accordingly. I am not sure that Brisbane would be keen to let him go at a price we would want to pay.
Let's see.

Funny seeing Brisbane fans on their board upset at him nominating one team only, giving them no chance to strike a better deal.

Didn’t bother them when Beams refused to talk to GC four years ago.
Interesting to see what happens now the shoe maybe on the other foot. Do BL hold a player despite reported personal reasons?

With only 2-3 seasons left I hope we don’t cough up anything more than a future first or future second. Lions will want a lot more than that though.

Collingwood lose : pick 18 & Langdon
Collingwood Gain : Beams

Brisbane lose : Beams & Pick 5
Brisbane Gain : Neale & Fremantle 2019 second rounder.

Fremantle lose : Neale , 2019 second rounder
Fremantle Gain : pick 5 & pick 18 & Langdon

Beams has always been one of my favourite players & I'd love to have him back in the black & white colours again.

This news to me says a few things.

May isn't going to happen & we are resigned to the fact he will end up at the Dees.
The Hogan, Neale, May trade seems logical to me & we have nothing to satisfy the Suns as far as a trade. Perhaps we have moved on?
For Beams to have said "only Collingwood" it also tells me that we have spoken to him as well & are keen.
Players don't nominate a club without checking if they are wanted there first.

In all this I fear we aren't going to have Quaynor or Kelly with us next season. Where will we get the points from?
If we get Beams we wont have a first or 2nd round pick this year. Same scenario with May more than likely.
Got to be worried about Langdon now as well. Looks gone.

I'm probably going to be in the minority here that I don't think it's right for us.

Great player, but only beefs up a part of the ground we are well served. I think it stalls Sier's growth as well.

He'll cost a fair bit in terms of a trade...and it concerns me that he walked out on our club for personal reasons, now is walking out on Brisbane for personal reasons after telling everyone he won't leave and loves the club. I'm not sure his head is in it.

Would much prefer we push for Stephen May if we can.

I hope we don't sell the farm here. I know we got a lot for him when he left, but he is a bit on in age now and has been injury prone.
Yeah agree with this, it would be nice to have Beams playing for us again but it is going to cost the farm. Listening to trade radio they are saying "Brisbane over payed for him so they should expect something similar back in return." which is a primary school thought. Beams is 29, mentally shot currently and has had bad shoulders for a few years now but played through the majority of it.

Maybe this turns into a 3 way trade, but i think our first this year or next year and Wills, Smith who could both take the opportunity at Bris, especially Wills. Sier doesnt go anywhere. Hopefully something can be done that satisfies both parties here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back