Player Watch Dayne Beams (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't quite been able to use the word 'welcome' yet, but you make some very valid points in your post.

There are a lot of dimensions to this, and while my tendency is to think the worst of Beams, you have at least made me think a little harder.

I have no real desire to defend Beams and certainly he seems to have avoided some hard conversations with the club which he could have ideally had.

I have had experience living with loved ones afflicted with depression and anxiety and know firsthand the impact on those around them and the absence of rational thinking when the black cloud hovers.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no real desire to defend Beams and certainly he seems to have avoided some hard conversations with the club which he could have ideally had.

I have had experience living with loved ones afflicted with depression and anxiety and know firsthand the impact on those around them and the absence of rational thinking when the black cloud hovers.

I too have been through the long dark tunnel, screwed up my life big time but it never stopped me dealing with honour.

Taking away the price of the trade, Beams coming back is a brilliant story. A guy who loves Collingwood and didn't want to play for anyone else. I for one am glad a man like this (who is also "man" enough to talk about his feelings and mental health) is coming back to the Pies.

Footballing wise, he is gonna need to learn defense quickly. Run with roles for a few weeks to learn selflessness. Steele and Pendles have done it, would be great for Beamsy to do it too.

Looking forward, he plays deep forward swapping with DeGoey. Can mark, is clever and times his leads brilliantly too.

Indeed welcome back but I think you are focusing too much on defending that which is not needed.

His behaviour and mental state since his father's passing is utterly understandable and it has been a credit to him that he has still managed to produce on field whilst battling the demons off field.

What some are pointing out is the manner of his departure from CFC was less than exemplary and this has in fact been mirrored in his latest trade.

He's a Collingwood player and has my total support but I don't have a goldfish's memory - yet.

Not defending the past, just choosing not to judge the present given mental health is at play and I don’t have all the facts.

Secondly, he is not the only decision maker in his family. His wife has been through a lot and she is a young wife with 2 little kids and a depressed husband without her family support network which I understand is in Melbourne.
Hey team, sorry to butt in and cherry pick.

This bit here is the part that I think is not only one of the biggest factors out of the whole scenario, but also the one that is being ignored the most.

It would have been hugely stressful fro Kelly up in Brissy with even just one new baby and experiencing life as a new mother, let alone two. Whether Dayne was not able to help through work or through limited capacity through his mental health issues, Kelly would need heaps of help and that would primarily be I think why they are going back.

I moved to Sydney with my wife 2 years ago, and we immediately became pregnant with our first. We both work full time now, and it is bloody hard to state the least with nobody else here from our circle. There is no wiggle room at all.

I can sympathise with them both, but she would be having a particularly rough time.

I want to apologise to BEEG for busting his chops over the Beams leaving issue.
I have no right to doubt his source and should never have singled him out when in fact it was other posters who I had in my sights for posting rumour.

He just happened to respond to my initial post and I jumped on him when in fact I know he is a quality poster and a first class Collingwood supporter and has been for a very long time.

I have apologised to him personally in a PM but thought it prudent that it was posted here as well, being the scene of the crime so to speak.

This apology is totally on my initiative and no-one has asked or induced me to, just in case you were wondering.

I hope BEEG accepts my apology, but that is totally up to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to apologise to BEEG for busting his chops over the Beams leaving issue.
I have no right to doubt his source and should never have singled him out when in fact it was other posters who I had in my sights for posting rumour.

He just happened to respond to my initial post and I jumped on him when in fact I know he is a quality poster and a first class Collingwood supporter and has been for a very long time.

I have apologised to him personally in a PM but thought it prudent that it was posted here as well, being the scene of the crime so to speak.

This apology is totally on my initiative and no-one has asked or induced me to, just in case you were wondering.

I hope BEEG accepts my apology, but that is totally up to him.

All good apology accepted, like I said if the club and Bucks can move on so can I.

Go Pies

I hope we've run out of stories about Beams for the collingwood site. I know people love talking about the future and what might happen but I tend to overdose pretty quickly on articles about what might happen. Evidently, the site is going to publish another story tomorrow about the possibility of Beams walking on water next year.

On a positive front, the wall to wall stuff on beams is probably due to a very low key footy dept. Whatever the impact of the choices in the trade period, I hardly heard a peep from the guys (excuse pun) making the decisions, including ned guy who showed his ability to say absolutely nothing of value in his post trade analysis. Well done Ned. Keep up the good work in this area. It's a nice contrast from the gushing that we usually got from Derek.

We have in the process ensured Dayne's son Carter is a future Collingwood player, not a Lion.....We'll look back on this joyously in 17 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Imagine that

Dayne Beams
Sons of Beams

:)

I think there are a few things forgotten in the speculation around Dayne’s decision and the public conversation.
First of all, he has been mentally unwell. The fact that he plays well despite it masks how hard it is to live with depression and anxiety. By his own admission, he had suicidal thoughts after his father passed away. In a state of mind such as this, behaviour can be erratic. Watching him on Trade Table that night was hard to watch as he clearly needs support and is not quite right as yet.
Secondly, he is not the only decision maker in his family. His wife has been through a lot and she is a young wife with 2 little kids and a depressed husband without her family support network which I understand is in Melbourne.
He may have thought he was staying when he made the B&F speech and she could very well have said she needs to go home after that so she can have more help. If you imagine it through her eyes, going home to Melbourne makes sense. He may have been worse when the season ended and after the B&F. She may have told him that he needed to put her and the kids above his love for his teammates.

Thirdly, in his state of mind going to a new environment would be a big risk. He has relationships at Collingwood with people who care for him. Steele and Maxy know him well. When he left he had most likely been affected by what had been happening with Heater and Dale Thomas before that and he will have matured (especially through the loss of his father). We all grow up at some point. I know that in years gone by before I was a manager myself I have listened to some friends and believed in the unfairness of their treatment- now I know better. He has captained the club in Brisbane and no doubt learned from that.
Also, it may seem like heresy but you can love 2 things at once. He could actually love his Brisbane teammates and want to stay and always have had Collingwood in his heart and want to return. Collingwood would be like a first love. The decision to return would be laced with ambivalence. Staying in Brisbane would be full of reminders of his time with his Dad which could be good but keep him in grief.

No doubt Steele has told him about how happy the group is now and how much fun they are having. We can all see the care they have for each other.

As for not being honest with Brisbane throughout the year, he may have been struggling with a decision but knew he would want to come back in 2 years regardless so told them that. Maybe he wanted to at moments and then not at others. Again, his mental state has not been good. Perhaps he could have been upfront about thinking about coming earlier. I certainly would not be talking to my employer until I had firm plans.

Ultimately, reading between the lines, his wife supported him in moving to Brisbane to be with his Dad. She now wants to come home earlier than planned so that they have the support they need.

All in all, I think there needs to be compassion in the conversation. It concerns me that in the media he is demonised publicly. I find it irresponsible and ill-informed about living with depression to be as aggressive about it as some commentators have been. Making a decision to change jobs is one of life’s most stressful times. Public criticism is dangerous.

He is a husband and a father first and foremost and he needs to do what works for his family.
That is, he needs to work on getting the professional support he needs and make sure his wife has a support network in place. Whilst he gets well, she needs some help.

He is blessed with talent to play football and earn a living at it. He needs to do this with regard to his whole family circumstance. This is what he seemed to be saying.

Welcome back , Beamer.

And that right there is my post of the year.

Beams will only add to Magpies’ midfield riches: Howe
By SEN 25 minutes ago
OF240918MW0902.JPG

Collingwood defender Jeremy Howe says the arrival of boom recruit Dayne Beams will only further strengthen what was an already star-studded Magpies midfield.

Beams returned to the Pies in a dramatic last-minute deadline day trade after expressing his desire to move back to Victoria - specifically, Collingwood - towards the end of the trade period.

How Nathan Buckley will utilise his embarrassment of midfield riches remains to be seen, but Howe believes it’s a good conundrum to have.

“Clearly it was a success to get Dayne back to the club,” Howe told SEN Afternoons.

“He’s a super talent, a great player and he’s going to add a lot to what we already have – a pretty strong midfield.

“I think it will provide Steele Sidebottom to predominantly play more on the wing, Pendles (Scott Pendlebury) is going to have to play a bit more wing-time, but I think the versatility of the guys in there, they have been able to show they can play wing, forward and also inside-mid, so it’s a good problem to have.

“What that starting inside-mid is going to look like, that’s up for debate, but I’m sure the boys will be putting their hand up to get the first go at it.”

As well as Beams, the Pies added versatile big-man Jordan Roughead from the Western Bulldogs to their squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back