Dayne Beams vs Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Different players.

Beams is a pure midfielder whereas Sidebottom is more of a utility, similar to how Hird played. Beams gets more of the ball but Sidebottom's kicks always seem to lead to something good. Too hard to split, imo.

If you looked at consistency and H&A form, it'd be Beams by a fair way. This is reflected in their respective B&F finishes.

But Sidebottom's big-game performances -- should have had the Norm Smith in '10, IMO -- give him the edge overall right now.

Ultimately, though, I expect Beams to rectify his relatively unflattering record in big games and be the better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think both are fantastic players, but I give the edge to Steele.

Not only for his performances in big games, but he is just so creative and composed. Beams has a few weapons that stand out a bit more - a long kick, a more tenacious attack on the footy, more of an accumulator. But Steele has more poise, creates space in congestion, is incredibly good on both sides of his body, and is close to our best tackler. He has been outstanding so far this year, I'd even go as far to say he has been our second best behind Pendlebury so far. Beams has been very good the last few weeks too though.

I'm just happy we have both.

I'm surprised that some Collingwood supporters think that it would be Beams if not for consistency. Surely they see Sidebottom's creativity, excellent reading of the play and general class is superior ?

Sidebottom is unreal. Like you said he is creative and a reader of the play. That doesn't always mean superiority though. Beams is the type of player who doesn't have a flashy type of game, but if you look at his average stats he's always up in the upper echelon in every Pies game. Obviously needs to work on his finals performances. But H&A season Beams is as solid as you can get.

I wouldn't swap either for any other midfielder in the 2008 draft. Hill included. I think we are just seeing them come into their prime. Sidebottom has just about been our best player this year, but before 2012 he has been very inconsistent due to more forward line minutes. Beams got more mid minutes in the past and therefore had better numbers and was more conistent, mind you he got these minutes because he was performing better than Steele in the midfield. For mine Sidebottom has the higher ceiling, but Beams has been far more reliable and consistent in the past. I think Beams is perhaps more important to us this year too with Ball going down. Beams is tougher and a better in and under tackler, and a better long kick.
Both are excellent on both feet and have very good skills. Both can kick goals. Sidebottom is more likely to turn the ball over, but more likely to do something absolutely brilliant. Beams is tougher and will go back with the flight, he is also a better mark. Sidebottom is nearly on Pendles level of cleverness, his little taps around the packs are excellent. Wow, this is really hard, changed my mind 5 times writing this. I'll go with Beams right now, despite Sideys great start to the year.

Sidebottom for mine, seems to rise to the big occasion moreso than Beams and is a real class act. That said I'd be more than happy to have either at Carlton.

Sidebottom for me. I'm not a fan of Beams. I think Beams might be slightly more skilful, but Sidebottom has a higher work rate and is generally more effective during the course of a game. Beams is more of a damaging player in burts, Sidebottom is more consistent.

Sidebottom for me. I'm not a fan of Beams. I think Beams might be slightly more skilful, but Sidebottom has a higher work rate and is generally more effective during the course of a game. Beams is more of a damaging player in burts, Sidebottom is more consistent.

Beams has been alot more consistant since we drafted them.

Beams is a better kick and plays at a more frenetic pace, and is better at extracting the pill. Sidebottom has slightly better awareness and perhaps more creative. Sidebottom has stepped up majorly this year, I've been far more surprised and impressed with his performance than Beams, who's progression was more expected for me.

I've always favoured Beams, but Sidebottom has certainly closed the gap significantly this season. Beams for me will end up the better player because he can play both inside and outside and be a goal kicker. Whereas Sidebottom will always be the linkman likely receiving the ball from a Beams or Pendlebury.

Disagree I'm a huge fan of Beams, but for me Sidebottom is the better user of the footy. He may not kick as long as Beams but his shorter passes almost never miss and he always puts the ball to his team mates advantage. Beams is more versitile, better contested work and a longer kick. Sidebottom is a distributer and one of the best decsion makers at the club. Rapt to have them both and couldn't split them.

Disagree I'm a huge fan of Beams, but for me Sidebottom is the better user of the footy. He may not kick as long as Beams but his shorter passes almost never miss and he always puts the ball to his team mates advantage. Beams is more versitile, better contested work and a longer kick. Sidebottom is a distributer and one of the best decsion makers at the club. Rapt to have them both and couldn't split them.
As far as I'm concerned Beams is every bit as accurate with his kicking as Sidebottom, but his extra penetration gives him the edge. Both are equally dual sided. Sidebottom may be slightly more creative with his disposal, but Beams is more often disposing under pressure after winning contested ball. Beams IMO is also the better handball, he's as good a handball as Pendles, and quite possibly slightly superior.

As far as I'm concerned Beams is every bit as accurate with his kicking as Sidebottom, but his extra penetration gives him the edge. Both are equally dual sided. Sidebottom may be slightly more creative with his disposal, but Beams is more often disposing under pressure after winning contested ball. Beams IMO is also the better handball, he's as good a handball as Pendles, and quite possibly slightly superior.

I agree Beams is pretty accurate with his short passing, but just my observation that Sidebottom kicks where he wants a player to be and Beams kicks it to a player. It's probably just me but that's the distinction between the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dayne Beams vs Steele Sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back