Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t read too many reviews so not sure what a common criticism is. It’s largely okay. Not as good as the first for me. If a common complaint is along the lines of “did we really need a sequel?” then that’s something I’d agree with, had that feeling throughout.

First half was a bit laborious for me. Significantly improved from there. Joaquin Phoenix is a powerhouse and knew he’d deliver again, that was never in doubt.

The leaked ending on the previous page is largely true aside from some minor details. So avoid that if you don’t want it spoiled.

One standout for me was that, whilst I don’t mind it being a musical (some great Joker moments have always been synonymous with music) the frequent nature of the musical numbers took me out of it for a while. Because it came at the expense of one of the great elements of the first film - the score of Hildur Guðnadóttir. That was a choice that didn’t land for me. And the best parts of this film were accompanied by the original score, and I wish there was more of that.

Hard to give it a rating, will need to ponder it a bit more.

I may watch it out of morbid interest. I like to see filmmakers take chances, swing for the fences, be interesting, so it may still hold my interest even if the film isn't great. Even better if it's an FU to people that misunderstood the point of the first film.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie DC Extended Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back