Star Trek General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Trek's best time travel stories ranked. Some odd choices in there, but the top 3 is probably right, though I would have number 1 at 3 and find it hard to split the other two.

Trials and Tribble-ations probably should have made the list, I had a lot of fun with that ep.

Ok so...two years into Star Trek initial watch

Gone in this order

• TNG
  • DS9
  • Voyager
  • Picard S1&2 , Saw S3 as it came out each week
  • TOS
  • TAS
  • TOS films
  • Enterprise
  • Kelvin movies (initially saw these when they came out but did a rewatch)

Now a season and a half into Discovery.

My GOAT personal franchise. I really cant believe as a sci fi nerd it took me this long to get into (spurred on by the Mrs) perhaps it was the amount of content that I never thought to get around to it. (As evidenced by taking almost 2 years to date)

And I've loved it all so far. So far it's all been core trek, albeit, with varying levels of quality.

Looking forward to SNW and the animated stuff as well.

EDIT: Just finished Season 3 of Discovery. I really liked the first 2 seasons and half of this one - but felt as soon as Georgiou left - show felt rushed and some of the flaws of Burnham became way too prominent. Then the last couple of episodes of Season 3 just felt like they were making Star Wars. Won't go into some of the plot inconsistencies but they weren't flash too. Some really good stuff in Discovery and liked that they changed things up a lot - but a lot of bad aspects that bring the show down unfortunately.

EDIT 2: Just finished Discovery Season 4. Show had a lot of promise, and I'm trying to like it, but it's become a massive slog now. It's a victim of its own creation - trying to be different at the start (thought the first couple of seasons were really enjoyable) but then trying to have an each way bet on nostalgia and its own thing.

While having a Burnham-esque show was risky and not necessarily a bad thing, constantly giving more attention to non start fleet characters on a regular basis at the expense of her was really poor writing. We never see Burnham face true adversity either, so it's really hard to get invested in her as a character. It's just assume time has made her a better leader. Especially coming from where she started in the pilot.

They leaned to much into the dramatic scenes that without solid writing made it come off as CW-esque at times. Really prevalent in season 4.

It's not perfect, and it's not the only Trek show to have flaws, but this deviated too far from Trek by the 4th season IMO, I can understand why it was cancelled. I can see that there is some commentary that season 5 returns to that, so hope it's the case.

Still looking forward to Starfleet Academy though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Trek General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back