Dean Cox - fair play or dog act?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lord_Travis

All Australian
May 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes we all know he is a great footballer, but I saw something today which greatly lowered my respect for him, and Im not sure if other people saw it. I doubt it was shown on TV.

It was in the first quarter. Stefan Martin flew for a mark/spoil atempt and got crunched. He then hunched over vomitting near the point post and a trainer came out to assist him as he was obviously in abit of pain. By this point the ball has rebounded to the other end of the ground.
Enter hard ass Dean Cox. Who jogs across and gives Martin a decent bump WHILE HE WAS HUNCHED OVER VOMITTING, IN THE ARMS OF A TRAINER AND THE BALL WAS OVER 100 METRES AWAY.

Surely this isnt fair play? IMO he should you suspended for that kind of thing. I've got no problem with any bumps in play or around the ground. I myself enjoy abit of biff ;) But bumping a guy who is injured and in the arms of a trainer is a cowradly dog act.

Anyhoo I've said my part. I'll let you guys discuss it now.
But personally I thought it was dodgy.

A bit sooka sooka la la....enjoy your win, build a bridge and get over it :thumbsu:

Oh ok then. So next time Hodge pulls his hammie, I wont hear you complain when some opposition player jogs over and stomps on it while a trainer is trying to get him up and off the field?

Also, not much joy from the win today. Hard to be proud when all you've done is play a team trying to lose :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhhh, poor little Stefan.

Maybe he should go back to playing Auskick.

HARDEN THE F___ UP!!!!!!!

You blokes deserve the spoon & PP if you're that precious, maybe you can use it to draft a player with balls. And maybe then supporters with balls will follow.

Oh ok then. So next time Hodge pulls his hammie, I wont hear you complain when some opposition player jogs over and stomps on it while a trainer is trying to get him up and off the field?

While being a bit of a different scenario to an injury, the AFL should just make a rule, if there isn't already, that contact to the opposition when they're in the hands of the trainers is a reportable offence.

While being a bit of a different scenario to an injury, the AFL should just make a rule, if there isn't already, that contact to the opposition when they're in the hands of the trainers is a reportable offence.

Wouldn't that rule open up a whole new book on set plays. :thumbsdown:

if that's true, that is EXTREMELY suprising, he is a great guy and is usually a fair player on field as well...

Not in the spirit of the game at all. If the ball is there to be won then fair enough, however in this case it's pretty poor.

I wonder if the Eagles supporters in this thread would feel the same if it was Jamar doing the same to Notte.

$10 says the guy wasnt Cox and the OP got the wrong player.
I believe him that a player did it but i find it hard to believe it was big Cox.
It was Big Cox all right. He waited until Martin had got rid of most of his fluid then came in from the side with a bump and perhaps a short one to the ribs. Weak as piss and certainly not a manful act.

Wouldn't that rule open up a whole new book on set plays. :thumbsdown:

It's just common sense really, why wouldn't you protect a player in the hands of the trainer? Doesn't mean someone can't stand next to or in front of them, just can't make purposeful contact.

Very little advantage to be had trying to abuse such a rule. A set play would be far to intricate for clubs to remain subtle; first get into a situation where you can fake an injury, time it for when the ball is going to come in and hope the trainer gets there in time, keep focused on the play while still doing a good job of looking like you need a trainer and most importantly, hope you team mates notice you and are not confused as to whether you really do need assistance from the trainers or you want to inact a set play.

If clubs tried to abuse the rule it would be far too obvious and therefore easily policed.

Ohhhh, poor little Stefan.

Maybe he should go back to playing Auskick.

HARDEN THE F___ UP!!!!!!!

Has this Stefan Martin bloke had a sook about it that we are unaware? Or is it that he is being mocked for vomiting? I'm just a little bit lost by this defensiveness from a couple of Eagles supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Cox - fair play or dog act?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back